A&P apprenticeship program

New Englander

This was in a trade publication. I believe an A&P school is around $50k now; United's apprentice program pays about $25/hr and can lead to an A&P cert in three years. Our very experienced mechanics earn well into 6 figures.

https://careers.united.com/us/en/calibrate

Not an endorsement, just an observation that might appeal to a young person with mechanical inclination.

• Thanks 1

This can be a terrific jump start and I highly recommend it, for the right person.

Caterpillar, and others, are doing this with Vo-Tech training to get employees.

Skilled people are in demand.

For the right person, this is a great way of getting the training and experience.

Of my college degree and vo-tech degree, I cherish my vo-tech degree the most.

It just made more sense to an old farm kid. 

• Like 3

One of my old teachers used to say”the person who know how will always have a job working for the person who knows why.”  We need both people with college degrees and vo tech training.

• Like 3

Good program. Thanks for posting. 
I have a good friend who flies 757s and 767s for UNITED. 

Here’s my UNITED 1/200 scale diecast Boeing 777-300ER, tail reg. N2749U.

New Englander, I just sent you a P M. 

8C577969-4486-416E-865F-915F99ACC7B4.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for that. Anything to inspire a young one to get out and learn to earn is a very good thing. My Dad was a Machinist for TWA from 1946 to 1978. He worked for McDonnell Douglass before the war, in Boston I believe. Back when he got his it was still called A+E. I am not sure where he got his license, by the time I was smart enough to start soaking up his amazing knowledge he had finished his work on Earth.

2 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Caterpillar, and others, are doing this with Vo-Tech training to get employees.

l have a friend that works for Cat in Oklahoma and is a vo-tech instructor that works with Cat and Okla. University. Although they work on and teach about all Cat equipment, a majority of it is track tractors and dozers. He says that OU also has a program that works with Cummins.

58 minutes ago, Rick G. said:

Good program. Thanks for posting. 
I have a good friend who flies 757s and 767s for UNITED. 

Here’s my UNITED 1/200 scale diecast Boeing 777-300ER, tail reg. N2749U.

New Englander, I just sent you a P M. 

8C577969-4486-416E-865F-915F99ACC7B4.jpeg

I've got a couple of friends at United. One is a 777 captain, another captains a 737. I used to fly with the 777 captain before went to work for P town/Boston then on from there. He's about to age out but he's probably been making in the 300 range for a while. Another friend just aged out of Delta. He's home and bored and texts me 5 times a day.

3 hours ago, gearheadmb said:

"The plane is all set, sir. The apprentice just got done putting it back together."  😳

And this is why the officers in the USAF treat the enlisted much better than the other branches of the military

These are pretty old but still funny. Write ups from pilots to mechanics and their replies:

1. Left landing gear tire almost needs replacing.

1. Left landing gear tire almost replaced.

2. Something loose in cockpit.

2. Something tightened in cockpit.

3. Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.

3. Evidence removed.

4. Number 3 engine missing.

4. After brief search number 3 engine found.

5. Mouse in cockpit.

5. Cat installed in cockpit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is sort of an apple and an orange happening, my son worked construction for years, about ten years ago he had an onsite accident, during an excavation while working off a ladder he fell into the pit wrenching his ankle and his shoulder, time passes and he is improving but not to a point of returning to his original job,now Ive NEVER been a fan of workmans comp or worksafe as they are called here,they gave him a pension and when his plans of payment were approaching an end and he might have to find a job but a much lower wage scale, comp came up with a query, would you like to learn how to operate heavy equipment, six months of school a few courses out of town in which he was put up with room and board and he was the owner of four different equipment licences and now ten years later he is entrenched in a great job working for a topflite company and happy happy, Im not saying he would have been left in a bureaucratic dust trail and his work ethic was to strong to let that happen, but the opportunity came about and he jumped at it, I think courses like newey posted about will do great for people who want something better for themselves.

• Like 3