Ih 4000/5000 wobble box vs jd & mcdon

acem

My understanding is this the international 4000/5000 windrowers and mcdon draper headers all use JD wobble boxes. However it appears none of them interchange witheach other or jd combines???

Anyone know the details about this?

4 minutes ago, acem said:

My understanding is this the international 4000/5000 windrowers and mcdon draper headers all use JD wobble boxes. However it appears none of them interchange witheach other or jd combines???

Anyone know the details about this?

The arms the sickle bolts are different I believe.

• Like 1

• acem changed the title to Ih 4000/5000 wobble box vs jd & mcdon

Usually they use different arms , those are tough wobble boxes also but they have issues when used on 30 ft headers especially flex JD got away from them on the 600 series headers 

From what I have read, the knife drive gearcase is what is the common part. The base that attaches to the bottom of the gearcase is what is different along with the arm. I have torn up a lot of them on 30’ Deere flex heads. My experience with the SCH system on newer Deere heads is only slightly better at best. 

Our macdon are a different base than the IH. Look the same, but not. The 70's/ early 80's jd/macdon are more similar but for some reason I think it was a little bit smaller of a wobblebox. The knife drive arm is way lighter too. I should go have a look. Have a spare of each. When we needed parts for the IH ones if I remember right it was only IH and New Idea that were the same. Buy I could be wrong

So I looked up the housing, yoke and crank for the double augerheader for the 4000/5000 windrower.

The housing and crank showed interchange with some mower conditioners and the 4000/5000 headers. 

The yoke showed interchange with the same plus some 1010 and 1020 headers. I'm guessing this is a typo?

Yes the yoke is same in the 1010-20 header oil wobble box with the exception there was a change with the pins and bearings at the top end. I would have to look back and see just exactly what was needed with the two pivot pins at the top of the yoke. Do not recall if you go from needle bearings to bushing or the other way. The aftermarket people are selling that part now and I did get one last winter but sent it back. A new arm would not go onto the tapered splines. A used arm would. New from CaseIH the new arm went on fine. Not sure if all the aftermarket shafts have over sized splines or not. Just something to be aware of. The new shaft from CaseIH did require the newer bushing/bearing arrangement which ever way it goes the parts books are not very clear on that small detail. 

The more I think about it I believe they went to a bushing instead of needle bearing. The holes are smaller in the new yoke shaft. Required new pins to fit bushings the other end of pin was correct size to go into the head.

So I searched around the cih parts site.

It appears most of the internal parts interchange or update to the 1010/1020 oil type box. The housings and crank are different. The housings are nla but the crank is available.

So if I understand correctly the mower box was a jd design built for ih, new idea and caseih. When the patents expired, cih started building the box with the housings modified and different crank to use on their combine header.?

Thx-Ace 

The JD swather wobble gear case had different internal parts than the combine wobble boxes IH never did make a decent sickle drive box in those days that open wobble box on the older headers was a train wreck from the get-go