l'm really thankful today

twostepn2001

My wife was coming home from work last night on I-20. A 18 wheeler was passing her and changed lanes too quick and hit the side of her car with the trailer tandems. That knocked her car into those median cable dividers. Those acted like a giant rubber band and bounced her car across road to the other side when the car hit a concrete culvert. Luckily my wife came out of it with some heavy bruises and some "burns" from the air bags when they deployed and of course sore and stiff today.

The impact of it all made every airbag deploy. l knew about dash and side airbags, but l didn't know about under the dash and rear seat airbags. Two guys in a pickup right behind her saw the whole thing and they said her car came really close to rolling over. They said a small guard rail on the culvert was the only thing that kept it from rolling over.

What really makes me angry is that the truck never stopped, just kept on going. l've drove a truck long enough (40 plus years) to know that if you hit a car with your trailer tandems you know it. Guess we'll never know for sure but just guessing l'll say it was one of them truck driving school graduates that has 2 or 3 weeks of experience. But like l said, overall l'm really thankful that she wasn't seriously hurt.

No description available.

• Sad 10

Dang that was a close one! So sorry it happened to her but glad she walked away.

A now retired coworker had similar happened to him one early morning right in DesMoines. Spun his car completely around but not  near the damage as your wife's. Same deal driver never stopped. He was able to drive away after he calmed down. We missed it by a few minutes drove by as he sat there.

• Like 2

Holy crap! I'm sure glad she's OK!

My truck and my wife's Yukon both have dash cams. I recommend them to everyone. With one there's little question who's at fault and getting the plate # is a bonus.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

The industry has been totally destroyed. 

That's the plan.

Wow ! Glad she is okay , that could of gone really bad quick , Her guardian angle was with her .

prayers for her and you , it’s not easy to get over a scare like that .

that damn driver needs a little jail time to refresh his training !

tony 

• Like 1

Your wife was very fortunate indeed.

I have no idea where along I-20 that happened, but for some unknown "reason', the state has long stretches ALWAYS "under repair", with narrow and uneven lanes.

But not to give the "professional steering wheel holder" any support, he either let his truck drift out of the passing lane back into the RH lane, or he cut back in far too soon, because he was "pre-occupied" (maybe prayer time, or the curry pot was boiling over), or too stupid to look in his mirror.

It is getting worse and worse as even these car drivers are on the phone, and will pull back into your lane MAYBE a car-length after passing you, instead of waiting until they can see you in their mirror. 

There are very few PROFESSIONAL over the road drivers anymore.

14 hours ago, zleinenbach said:

@New Englanderis right, a camera wouldn’t be a bad investment….

We hadn't thought about a dash cam until it was mentioned here.  Wife says soon as everything is settled and she gets another vehicle she is seriously going to check into getting one.

23 minutes ago, Art From Coleman said:

I have no idea where along I-20 that happened

lt happened at mile marker 272, between Merkel and Tye. And like you said, there are very few professional drivers left out there now. l'm glad that l am retired and don't have to deal with it anymore.  And by the way, my wife says thanks to everyone for the prayers and well wishes.

Those cables are killers too.I plow for the state on a interstate highway .I seen cars skid out of control because of speed, ice and snow conditions. They hit those cables and it just shoots them right out into traffic. IF they are passing me,right in front of my truck. Before they had them they would just spin out and go down into the median and get stuck

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jacka said:

Those cables are killers too.I plow for the state on a interstate highway .I seen cars skid out of control because of speed, ice and snow conditions. They hit those cables and it just shoots them right out into traffic. IF they are passing me,right in front of my truck. Before they had them they would just spin out and go down into the median and get stuck

Yeah, in the winter the snow captures them but I think they're there to prevent them from going into opposite traffic when there's no snow to catch them; the results are often tragic.

I drove a salt/sand truck nights while going to school. It was often on Rt 128, a belt around Boston and usually the rain/snow line and covered with glare ice. I'd often be passed by cars that had been in the relatively good traction behind me and then in the median somewhere in front of me. It always amazed me the lack of situational awareness. The cables I see now are usually well into the median.