IH 454, Hydraulic issue

Red454

• 3 weeks later...

As Snoshoe is requesting, can you post some photos of how the loader is connected to the 454's hydraulic system?
There are a few different ways to connect a loader to a 454 and we need to know how yours is connected to help with trouble shooting.

10 hours ago, snoshoe said:

Transfer-lube pump is working. Can't tell you much else. How is steering, pto and brakes? Is loader hooked to auxiliaries or power beyond? Have you revisited the filter?

Steering, pto,3 point all work great, the flow comes out of a loader valve block under the seat to the inlet of a hand controlled 4 way valve assembly then it exits goes into trans block. Already pulled loader valve apart all looks fine, stuck a presure gauge on outlet and get 500psi on start up then drops to 150/200 .

Look at the photo below and see if your loader valve Input is attached to either below the remote valve Purple highlight or at the back of the seat Purple highlight?
I realize this photo is from a 574 with dual remotes but 454 should be the same and with a single remote just is missing outer remote valve.
Does your remote valve handles look like the ones in the photo?
Does the loader valve Output line go to under the right rear axle housing where the hydraulic drain plug was?

574-3-Bolt-Remote-Valves.JPG

Yes , it goes out the back of the seat like the picture and the outlet dumps back into the righr rear above the axle housing right below the loader block under the seat. So I tied directly into the port which feeds the input of that same block under the seat and starts off with 2000 psi then drops to 500 then 200. It is the very bottom right-hand side of the MCV. pulled filter didnt look bad. 

25 minutes ago, Red454 said:

Do you think the pump is bad? New pump, but it was doing this before I replaced the pump. Appreciate the help

If it steers at idle. Pump is fine. With gauge deadheaded at mcv outlet. It pretty much has to be going past relief. Problem I have is it makes the statement about the three point false.

When I said steering, pto 3 point we're all working, that was before I hooked the gauge straight to the mcv. Before I had it hooked to the inlet of the loader valve assembly not dead headed to the port of the MCV. So you think the relief valve seems to be the culprit? 

Before replacing the relief valve, put your gauge back on the MCV and when the pressure drops, crank the steering wheel to the maximum until you hear the PS relief valve buzz and look at the pressure reading.
Back in the fall of 1972 my Dad bought a new IH 454 Diesel and when I was plowing with it and sometimes when you came to the end of the field and went to lift the 3pt plow it would not lift unless you cranked the steering wheel to the maximum and PS relief valve buzzed. IH dealer took it back and replaced the hydraulic pump and installed a new and improved priority/flow divider valve and that fixed the problem. My brother still has that 454. 

The new improved priority/flow divider has a a sleeve with a spool in it. I believe the old style was a spring and spool.
If the priority/flow divider valve is stuck at the bottom, there will be no PS, no PTO and no flow to oil cooler, if stuck at the top, there is no 3pt, remotes and loader if loader is plumbed off 3pt or remote lines.