Merton Anderson

MinnesotaFarmall

Seen on the radio advertisement on Facebook that Merton Anderson had passed away. He invented the year around cabs. I wonder how many total pieces he sold? I also didn't know they were built in Mankato, Minnesota. Rest in peace, you truly did help out agricultural workers.

• Like 1

One of our landlords used a Year a round auger wagon that he bought new until he retired about ten years ago. I think it was around 550 bushel? It was all hydraulic drive and he used it on a Steiger that didn’t have pto. It was kind of unique because you could unload it as a gravity wagon or you could use the auger to unload into a truck. 

14 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

One of our landlords used a Year a round auger wagon that he bought new until he retired about ten years ago. I think it was around 550 bushel? It was all hydraulic drive and he used it on a Steiger that didn’t have pto. It was kind of unique because you could unload it as a gravity wagon or you could use the auger to unload into a truck. 

Off of highway 47, there is a guy who has two yellow and green gravity wagons that a year a round. Still nice looking wagons. I've wanted to stop and talk to him. 

4 hours ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

Off of highway 47, there is a guy who has two yellow and green gravity wagons that a year a round. Still nice looking wagons. I've wanted to stop and talk to him. 

If your thinking of the farm just north of Dalbo, don’t waste your time! Those boxes are in tough shape up close! I bet each wagon has a million bushels through it, and over 200,000 miles on them!! 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I have a grain cart with a trap door on the bottom for dumping into pits. I can't remember the name right now but I think its the same cart JD offered in the 70s. This one is orange.  

There is a cart built by United Farm Tools or UFT that I am helping a friend rebuild the gear box on and all of the gears and bearings are carried by JD. It too, has a trap door on the side below the auger which is how we got the 150 bushels of soybeans out of it on the machine shed floor so we could remove and overhaul the gear box.

5 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

If your thinking of the farm just north of Dalbo, don’t waste your time! Those boxes are in tough shape up close! I bet each wagon has a million bushels through it, and over 200,000 miles on them!! 

Thats them lol. Well they look good from the road anyway.

1 hour ago, Big Bud guy said:

I have a grain cart with a trap door on the bottom for dumping into pits. I can't remember the name right now but I think its the same cart JD offered in the 70s. This one is orange.  

That would be United Farm Tools. We have a Deere version that they called a 400. The Deere 1210A was also popular here which was the model before the 400. There 400 was replaced by the model 500, which is a single auger cart. I believe there was also a Deere 650, but was not common here. The Year a Round Cart that our landlord had was a side dump gravity box, but also had an auger that you could use. I searched for a picture, but couldn’t find one that looked like it. There were lots of pictures of Year a Round gravity boxes, but I couldn’t find one that had an auger on it. It was the only one I ever saw. 

9 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I found a picture of one like he had. Year a Round “Harvest Box”

A00DB24F-1AB2-4651-A757-58C50164FA0D.jpeg.129ebf4938a98dd903c0ceb6dd6f02db.jpeg

Never seen one before. Very interesting

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I found a picture of one like he had. Year a Round “Harvest Box”

A00DB24F-1AB2-4651-A757-58C50164FA0D.jpeg.129ebf4938a98dd903c0ceb6dd6f02db.jpeg

Interesting contraption, I've never seen 1 of those.

The article in Heritage Iron mentioned alot of odd things they made.  I wish I had the magazine here to take a picture, but it showed a 715 combine with an auger that ran from the grain tank to a YAR gravity wagon pulled behind the combine.  Obviously that idea never took off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

Cool, I wonder how that auger works?

I didn’t pay enough attention when it was around. I believe there was a gate that could be opened right below where it would come out if you were using it as a side dump. It would just gravity flow down to that auger instead of going out the side door. The auger was hydraulic drive. He used it on the Steiger Cougar 1000 that I bought off of him. I had a chance to buy the cart, but it was just so slow to unload with the auger by today’s standards. The auger would just barely reach a semi trailer even with 66” sides. I believe the capacity was 550 or 600 bushel. I wish we would have bought it just because it was “neat”, but it was deemed an unnecessary purchase of obsolete machinery at the time. He must have liked it as he used it for decades. The Steiger didn’t have PTO so he was limited to hydraulic drive only carts. 

2 hours ago, IH Forever said:

The article in Heritage Iron mentioned alot of odd things they made.  I wish I had the magazine here to take a picture, but it showed a 715 combine with an auger that ran from the grain tank to a YAR gravity wagon pulled behind the combine.  Obviously that idea never took off.

I have that article if you want me to post it

On 11/4/2022 at 1:29 PM, IH Forever said:

If you want to that would be great.  I thought it was an interesting picture.

Here is the picture you asked for. 

Sorry for the delay in getting it to you. Dad had the magazine to read so I had to get it back from him.

20221107_091641.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/4/2022 at 7:29 AM, IH Forever said:

Our neighbor had one of those auger setups on his Uni combine. I think it was a 705/717 combo pulling Dakon wagons. I always wondered how many variable speed drive belts he went thru dragging that wagon around.