Two point hitch height

LI Redshed

Gentlemen,  A while back I purchased a 1958 Farmall 450 equipped with a standard  hitch and drawbar. I installed a draft control two point fast hitch that came off a super M and now the hitch receiver sockets don't go lower than sixteen inches from the ground with the ram bottomed out on the sheet metal hinged plate on top of the piston. The tractor has 15.5/38 tires so the tractor sits a little taller than with the 13.6 that were on it before. Is it possible the hitch is for a utility tractor or are they all the same? any help would be greatly appreciated as I can't get a plow bottom into the ground any more than four inches, Thank you

This is just a bit confusing. Supers never came with a fast hitch but people have made things work so to speak using early 400 fast hitches. I am picturing a fast hitch here that has the collar on the hydraulic cylinder that you either adjust the collar or the rod that has notched that can be slid up or down. Yes there are differences between utility units also. Picture would help a lot. My 560 which has a 450 hitch on it the extension plate almost hits the ground. Some one may have made your hitch go higher though.

Thank you for the response, and you are right that the fast hitch was attached to the Super M with brackets using the axle housing bolts to connect the hitch, hope these pictures will help to identify the height problem .  the bar you see was added by the previous owner to attach a top link that was never used.

IMG_1027.JPG

IMG_1028.JPG

IMG_1029.JPG

• Like 1

I love a good head-scratcher.

It appears the lower mount for the hydraulic cylinder is too high to me.  Take a close look there for welds, or possibly installed upside down? A couple of inches would make a huge difference due to mechanical advantage.

Google some images of farmall 560 fast hitch and/or farmall 450 fast hitch.

the fast hitch on my 400. the top of the cylinder is even with the lower bolt on the PTO shield, same as the OP's picture. My hitch goes almost to the ground. 

824980158_2022-11-0709_50_15.thumb.jpg.5b5541f8ac613c00e04f341830ebfe98.jpg

1868324968_2022-11-0709_51_01.thumb.jpg.f78e5668b3ebf2defc4ddc01377054a0.jpg

255297433_2022-11-0709_53_38.thumb.jpg.efd1b616dc3123714f420cad8a0f4be0.jpg

The lever with the bail handle on left side of platform should be all the way down- part of the "draft control" that I think never did much from new- but that shouldn't affect the hitch height/depth- 15.5s were an update for the 13.6s, almost the same height profile IIRC- 16.9s like on my 560 diesel DO make a big height difference in the hitch. Not much help here, I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Also seems like an abnormally wide gap here:

400greenline2.jpg.214a3f7b07a05570a1b87e449e1c01a3.jpg

Thinking that #1 bracket I pointed out above is either pivoted out of position or installed improperly.

The position of the draft control lever should not limit how far down the hitch can go, at least I don't think it should.

The solution may be as simple as jumping up and down on the hitch.

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Also seems like an abnormally wide gap here:

400greenline2.jpg.214a3f7b07a05570a1b87e449e1c01a3.jpg

Thinking that #1 bracket I pointed out above is either pivoted out of position or installed improperly.

The position of the draft control lever should not limit how far down the hitch can go, at least I don't think it should.

The solution may be as simple as jumping up and down on the hitch.

We are agreed the cylinder is to high. No the draft control lever does not change height.  The cam that it controls is tipped way forward in picture. You may be right. It may be just stuck. For whatever reason when it is returned to position so will hitch.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Maybe I misundestood this but NOT the same as the OP's picture.

To me that edge of the cylinder is closer to even with the TOP of the PTO shield.

400greenline.jpg.933ebc89f6ca7116edfb8d961f4b40fd.jpg

you're right, I was comparing mine with Tom H's picture

• Thanks 1

Ok. After comparing the photos you posted, with my tractor hitch I think part  #1 may be wrong. Part #9 is not angled up straight because it apparently was once broken and with a heavy weld was reconnected pointing forward but I don't believe I have the correct lower hydraulic cylinder mount that is labeled #1 in the diagram. The part # stamped in the casting / mount on mine is 523684R-2 and is visibly bulkier than the one in thephoto from NY Bill O.

• Like 1

At least now we have two pictures from a similar angle and scale to compare. It's pretty clear that the lower mounting bracket for the cylinder is rotated up and to the rear on the OP's tractor. Exactly why still remains somewhat a mystery.

What I can see is that you have pin #3 from the diagram above in, and backwards. It appears that the head of that pin may be holding the whole works up. Try removing that pin.

1868324968_2022-11-0709_51_01.thumb.jpg.IMG_1033.thumb.JPG.5048b21c482427513c4a5

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

At least now we have two pictures from a similar angle and scale to compare. It's pretty clear that the lower mounting bracket for the cylinder is rotated up and to the rear on the OP's tractor. Exactly why still remains somewhat a mystery.

What I can see is that you have pin #3 from the diagram above in, and backwards. It appears that the head of that pin may be holding the whole works up. Try removing that pin.

1868324968_2022-11-0709_51_01.thumb.jpg.IMG_1033.thumb.JPG.5048b21c482427513c4a5

IIRC, that pin is used to give down pressure (or float) to the fast hitch. Wonder if back end of #1 is rotated so far up that the pin is over the front top of #1?