Plow Questions

MacAR

So a neighbor has gifted me a JD 555 4-14" plow. Obviously the old 300 ain't gonna pull it the way it sets, but I'm thinking I can drop a bottom off and do ok. I pull 2-14's now in 3rd at 3/4 throttle (sandy ground) so another bottom shouldn't be that much load, right? I guess I could always drop it down to 2-14's if I had to but am I right in thinking that my 300 would do ok with the 3 bottom? 

Also, has anyone ever messed with a 555? If so, how difficult is it to drop a bottom? I'm thinking the easiest way to go from 3 to 4 would be to drop the 3rd bottom and move everything over. Am I on the right track? Any help would be appreciated!

Mac

9 minutes ago, Alan Dinan said:

Pictures?? Never been around a deere

Don't have any of the actual unit yet, going to get it this weekend hopefully. It looks something like this: 2755701_0.jpg?1424110204

It may be as simple as unbolting the tailwheel and bolting it to the 3rd bottom, and it may be more complicated than I think. 

Mac

1 minute ago, Alan Dinan said:

Hate to see you have to cut the square beam

Same, but I'm hoping it won't come to that. At the end of the day, I'll have to get it home and check it out before I do anything. 

Mac

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Alan Dinan said:

Hate to see you have to cut the square beam

Should be able to slide it to the left and have it stick out above the furrow wheel, at least some of it. I mean worst case it's gotta be a standard chunk of steel which you could get at a steel yard. Just save the original and install the bar from the steel yard.

The tail wheel linkage will have to be shortened or replicated shorter or found as a part from a 3-bottom plow.

That appears similar to IH plows where it's natively a 3 bottom, with a 4th bottom added.

36 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Should be able to slide it to the left and have it stick out above the furrow wheel, at least some of it. I mean worst case it's gotta be a standard chunk of steel which you could get at a steel yard. Just save the original and install the bar from the steel yard.

The tail wheel linkage will have to be shortened or replicated shorter or found as a part from a 3-bottom plow.

That appears similar to IH plows where it's natively a 3 bottom, with a 4th bottom added.

Yea, worst case I can cut down an old disk axle for the square beam or go hunt through the junk yard. What's your opinion on the HP requirement? Is it even worth fooling with? 

Mac

38 minutes ago, littlered166 said:

My opinion, you're going to give that 300 all she wants even with the 3 bottoms. Just my opinion.

That's what I'm looking for. She's turned up a bit, but I'd say some weights may be necessary before it's over.

Mac

2 minutes ago, snoshoe said:

It will pull it. We just don't know how deep or how fast. Depends on how much clay is in that sand and moisture content.

No clay at all, just a nice sandy loam. Been broke before, and usually like to plow about 8 inches deep. 

Just now, drglinski said:

Sounds like a good excuse to buy a bigger tractor. 

I'm tempted by a 450 a couple hours north of here, but honestly I can't really swing it. 

Mac

1 hour ago, acem said:

Just add nitrous

Think I can feed it thru the vacuum port in the stock manifold or will I need to get another one? Have to dink with the timing a bit too don't you think? 🤣

Mac

6 hours ago, MacAR said:

Yea, worst case I can cut down an old disk axle for the square beam or go hunt through the junk yard. What's your opinion on the HP requirement? Is it even worth fooling with? 

Mac

I pull my co workers 3 bottom 555 with dad's Oliver 77. It put out spot on 40 HP on the dyno. It's all the oliver wants in our heavy dirt.

8 minutes ago, MacAR said:

Think I can feed it thru the vacuum port in the stock manifold or will I need to get another one? Have to dink with the timing a bit too don't you think? 🤣

Mac

Put a plate between the carb and manifold. Add extra fuel with the nitrous. Do it right!

download.gif

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

I pull my co workers 3 bottom 555 with dad's Oliver 77. It put out spot on 40 HP on the dyno. It's all the oliver wants in our heavy dirt.

Thanks! The ground I work is creek bottom sandy loam that plows easily unless it's very wet. The old gal dynos about 45 horse if I remember right. Been a while since I've dynoed it though. She pulls a 10 foot disk plenty good, I know that. No trouble with the haybine or baler either. I'm gonna give 'er a try with 3 anyway. 

Mac

11 minutes ago, MacAR said:

Thanks! The ground I work is creek bottom sandy loam that plows easily unless it's very wet. The old gal dynos about 45 horse if I remember right. Been a while since I've dynoed it though. She pulls a 10 foot disk plenty good, I know that. No trouble with the haybine or baler either. I'm gonna give 'er a try with 3 anyway. 

Mac

We did 28 acres easter weeekend that was all sandy loam, shined the plows up real nice. I'm pretty sure you can move the tail wheel up on those real easy,  then drop off the 4th bottom. DO NOT cut the back bone, someday, somewhere, someone will want it put back to 4 bottoms. 

VideoCapture_20220417-174033.jpg

VideoCapture_20220418-173059.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

DO NOT cut the back bone

Don't aim to if I can help it. What size is it, anyway? Looks like about 2" but can't tell from the photos. Probably get a piece from the junkyard if I have to, or maybe my junk pile. Looks like it does a good job, how do you like it?

Mac

we pulled 3-14s in silt loam for years with Dad's Farmall 300. 311 fast hitch plow. No problem. I would think sandy loam would pull even easier.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

I doubt that even a high performing 300 would pull 3 X 14's around here.   

Where's "here"? 

4 hours ago, ny bill o said:

we pulled 3-14s in silt loam for years with Dad's Farmall 300. 311 fast hitch plow. No problem. I would think sandy loam would pull even easier.

That's kinda what I figured. All the old advertisements show the 300/350 pulling a 3-14" plow of some description. Do you remember what gear you guys ran? 

Mac