Trees don't need me to save em

sandhiller

• sandhiller changed the title to Trees don't need me to save em
7 hours ago, Cattech said:

could be debilitating or even fatal.

57 Year old, local excavator was stuck by a falling tree last Thursday. Tree fell into another tree and lodged, they where standing there trying to figure out best way to proceed when it snapped like a pistol shot and was on the ground NOW...branch hit him on back of neck as he was trying to out run it. We get there with squad and it's too late. Funeral this past weekend. 

Well liked guy would have gave you the shirt off his back. He actually done the grading for my new shop way back then. 

• Sad 1

Ha! Reminds me of all the dead from blight but still standing birch trees. They'd do the same - give 'em a shake and the top would often fall off. I had a job in a summer camp and the woods were filled with such trees and some campers were getting hurt so the staff was tasked with eliminating the problem. You didn't dare hit them with an axe, better to shake and be ready to run, then saw them off.

Soft maples did the same thing here after the ‘93 flood. Dad was cleaning out a drainage ditch with a fairly new excavator, tree dropped across the back of it. The owner came out and was throwing a fit that dad hit the tree when swinging. Until another tree fell while they were standing there.  They would break off at the waterline from the flood, about 15’ up. You could park on top of the levee and watch, or hear trees randomly fall.