656, new clutch fully depressed when tighten down

Mathew Greenwood

Bought a new clutch pressure plate for a 656 ( part # 388625 and 388616) everything looked right when I compared new and old even the thickness (but didn't actually put a tape to it) when I put it together I noticed that as I tightened the bolts down the arms would fully depress, I took it off and on again 3 times trying to figure out was wrong and again checked the clutch against the old. I must have missed something because I put it all back together and I can not lengthen the clutch adjustment arm out far enough to even reach the clutch. 

Anyone else have this problem? I have checked all the numbers they seem to be right. (Also fwi I did Not put the plate on backward, I screw it up someway just not that way haha)

It is normal for fingers to move toward pp when installed on flywheel. Was the flywheel surfaced? Possibly the pp mounting step was incorrectly machined? Some pressure plates have nuts under outer portion of fingers that need to be dislodged or 5/16" bolts that pull cover down to make installation easier. These must be removed as well. Also if there is excessive wear on clutch pedal/shaft and linkage pins, that can lessen travel of the release bearing. I've seen many Ms and 560s that the linkage rod had been lengthened to get more travel

It had short straps on metal to keep it depressed for installation that I took out after the first installation.

Had a video because the pictures didn't turnout but it won't load. Hard to see but the clutch pedal is fully depressed and adjusted to full length, so are the little bolts on the end of the fingers and still there is a gap. The linkage all seems tight

I was hoping to have answers before bed tonight, because I know I'll split that tractor and put it back together in my dreams 100 times before morning haha

IMG_20221030_203232.thumb.jpg.c1ccccc23269bcfbb076925ea7428e06.jpg

May get some sleep to night after all... Dawned on me that the first time that installed it, it had the metal straps holding it for easy installation and when I knocked them out it popped load and the metal pieces went flying (meaning there was slack) the first time I took it back off ”I was having trouble getting it aligned” turned out that the tractor was actually in TA...

Just went out again and I can slide the metal pieces in and out by hand so something has changed since the first time I installed it. Just gonna have to split it again and start over, maybe reinstall the metal straps before trying again 

IMG_20221030_211536-1.jpg

I would make sure your clutch disc is the right one and installed correctly the thicker the disc the more the fingers will collaspe

Update, I took it all apart, checked everything, put it back together and repeated about four times.

Only thing I can figure is that like one of the other members said the PP step was machined incorrectly.

Ended up putting spacers between the step and the clutch and it worked. Guess once the clutch runs out of adjustment I'll take the spacers out 

I hate to be "That Guy", but it's my full-time job, and that's certainly not the way that I would go about it. You didn't measure the flywheel step? Hopefully your 'spacers' didn't put the pressure plate too close to the IPTO drive shaft and release bearing sleeve, and cause undue pressure on it and your crankshaft. You might be ok, but that's certainly not how it was intended to operate. Be attentive to how it operates, and I wish you luck. 

• Like 2

Oh good God. It doesn't matter what social media platform or forum I'm on, there's always that one guy trolling the internet trying to start an argument because they have nothing better to do.

Well sir I have better things to do than to argue with you, you're not worth my time and I'm not going to give you the satisfaction 

Either your flywheel is wrong, your clutch disc is wrong, or your pressure plate is wrong. 

Any which way it is, the way you put it together is wrong. But you already knew that. 

Not sure why it was easier to take it apart 4 times and then diddle around with homemade spacers then take the flywheel off and have it made right. Only to have to split it again prematurely to remove the spacers...

No time to do it right but plenty of time to do it again. 

I know for a fact FarmallDoctor has plenty of better things to do then argue with someone online who isn't going to fix it properly no matter what he or any other mechanic tells them. 

I've got flywheels back ground incorrectly, isn't a big deal just messes the timeline you plan on up. 

Hopefully it lasts despite the unnecessary complicated repair

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Mike56073 said:

Its almost like Jmech is back!!😳

I thought of that but wondered what kind of riot act he'd have gave to the guy.

Wasn't there another guy that drilled a big hole in his Allis or some makes bellhousing? Tcm?      I don't remember having any issues with his posts but I must have missed "the big one" that got him gone.

11 hours ago, Mathew Greenwood said:

Oh good God. It doesn't matter what social media platform or forum I'm on, there's always that one guy trolling the internet trying to start an argument because they have nothing better to do.

Well sir I have better things to do than to argue with you, you're not worth my time and I'm not going to give you the satisfaction 

Pretty sure he was trying to help you bud. Take it easy.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Mathew Greenwood said:

Mathew,

I think that you are trolling your own topic.  You came to us asking for help.  Farmall Doctor took time out of his day to give you some very sound advice, including the specs for the flywheel step.  Instead of being appreciative, you went out of your way to be antagonistic.  It is like J-Mech reincarnated. 

Good luck on getting help on your future posts!

PS:  The way I see it, you have two choices.  You can suck it up and apologize to the community and be welcomed back in good standing because this group is very forgiving, or you can double-down and attack me or others -- your choice. 

I honestly would like to see you continue on this forum because I am sure that you have knowledge which others of us can benefit from, and vice-versa.

Have a great day! (I mean it sincerely)

Red Tech

• Like 7

The Doc corrected a bad practice which we must continue to do to protect the shared knowledge of RPF. If you Google any symptom for your car or truck problem and surf the net there's 10 fixes for 1 problem 9 of them wrong. We don't want to be in that category. Thanks Doc 

Jmech was a very good mechanic but a little rude. the way I see it once a guy is down there's no use taking a swipe at him  . Other than his rudeness the forum is less without him IMHO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What bothers me is that it seems like it's okay to be a "cantankerous old fart" and speak your mind, but it's not okay to be "rude." To me there is a fine line between, if any line at all.

Jmech had little patience to "sugar coat" his responses. If you were doing something stupid that was going to cost you more work/expense, he was not shy to tell you. The problems only arose when people took it personally and attacked. There are several on this forum that are just as bad or worse for speaking their minds regardless of the feelings of others, yet get to keep their accounts, or worse, are celebrated for their contributions to the site... :( 

• Like 2

On 11/3/2022 at 6:14 AM, Super A_sepa said:

I thought of that but wondered what kind of riot act he'd have gave to the guy.

Wasn't there another guy that drilled a big hole in his Allis or some makes bellhousing? Tcm?      I don't remember having any issues with his posts but I must have missed "the big one" that got him gone.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. TCM tech is the guy you're thinking of. Used a cut-off wheel to create an 'access window' in a 7000 aeries Allis to 'fix' the torque limiter. Got ridiculed and laughed at here and a less gracious response on the Orange board.

22 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. TCM tech is the guy you're thinking of. Used a cut-off wheel to create an 'access window' in a 7000 aeries Allis to 'fix' the torque limiter. Got ridiculed and laughed at here and a less gracious response on the Orange board.

I had to give that thread a read. It was pretty entertaining. Here it is if anyone else wants to see it. 

https://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/topic/104225-ac-7050-torque-limiter-in-tractor-fix-off-color-of-course/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

What bothers me is that it seems like it's okay to be a "cantankerous old fart" and speak your mind, but it's not okay to be "rude." To me there is a fine line between, if any line at all.

Jmech had little patience to "sugar coat" his responses. If you were doing something stupid that was going to cost you more work/expense, he was not shy to tell you. The problems only arose when people took it personally and attacked. There are several on this forum that are just as bad or worse for speaking their minds regardless of the feelings of others, yet get to keep their accounts, or worse, are celebrated for their contributions to the site... :( 

J mech had some interesting comments and was entertaining to a point but when he started criticizing people's spelling and being obnoxious calling others names that I think spelled his doom

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I had to give that thread a read. It was pretty entertaining. Here it is if anyone else wants to see it. 

https://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/topic/104225-ac-7050-torque-limiter-in-tractor-fix-off-color-of-course/

Wondering how many stitches it took to do that job through that well-sharpened hole

• Haha 3