AG Bag Wisdom

hobbyfarm

How do you keep from tearing the bottom of the bag with your skid loader bucket and making a mess ?  Here is a pic of the  ag.  A bit different then a silage bag.  We are feeding brewers grain that I talked about awhile back.  Resorted to shoveling which isn't the end of the world for the volume we are using.20221030_184303.thumb.jpg.1377f1577f5e230d6d5548b30a67862c.jpg

20221030_184327.jpg

All I can say is there is an art to it. If/when you mess up and tear the bottom, you get to live with it until you are past it. I used to dread having someone else dig silage out of the bags because it never failed, they would tear the bag.

A bucket with a worn cutting edge seemed to work better because it wouldn't catch the plastic as bad. I would try to loosen the silage first and then scoop it with the bucket starting in the dumped position so I could see the edge. Then I would carefully roll the bucket back to fill it. 

• Like 1

#1, flat ground under the bag

#2, a well worn cutting edge on the bucket 

#3, no downforce on the bucket when scooping

#4, leave the plastic on the ground long enough that the front wheels of the loader are on the plastic and holding it in place just before the bucket hits the contents of the bag

#5 use a dig cycle motion when filling the bucket so the cutting edge is against the plastic as little distance as possible

I did 2 bags of high moisture cracked corn a few years ago; if I never do another bag again that will be soon enough.  What a pain!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Is the bag a total loss anyway? So you are just trying to prevent plastic bits in your feed? 

Bag is once and done.  Not worried about plastic in feed.  The bag is on a stone lane.  Tear the bottom open and loose feed onto the stones.  Feed isn't expensive but that doesn't mean I want to waste it.

1 hour ago, hobbyfarm said:

Bag is once and done.  Not worried about plastic in feed.  The bag is on a stone lane.  Tear the bottom open and loose feed onto the stones.  Feed isn't expensive but that doesn't mean I want to waste it.

Why not scoop a couple inches higher than the plastic and then shovel that couple of inches? 

• Like 1

What was used to fill that bag? The bag seems awfully flat? We grind corn to bag as well as put shell corn and soybeans in bags and it resembles more of a “tube” than that does. We load out the ground corn with a skid steer and it seems like it works a lot better than the bag in your picture. 

39 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

What was used to fill that bag? The bag seems awfully flat? We grind corn to bag as well as put shell corn and soybeans in bags and it resembles more of a “tube” than that does. We load out the ground corn with a skid steer and it seems like it works a lot better than the bag in your picture. 

Just a bag tunnel on the back of a semi dump trailer.  Dump and drive forward at the same time.  The bag is very flat.  Until the material ferments wouldn't it wouldnt pile up real well i don't think.

Lots of ideas.  I guess the sharp bucket edge is not my friend.   The bag was bunching up and tearing.  I'm going to try running on the empty bottom.

6 hours ago, tractorholic said:

Dirt Floor has a point. 
I have never heard of filling out of a semi. We reloaded wet gluten in a mixer wagon and fed a rotopress bagger a few years back and it worked good. I would think it would pack and stand up better using a bagger and help your situation 

I think that's the best. You have to keep the bottom flat, bag must stay tight. We keep our bucket up about three to four inches off the bottom and just scoop the left over back onto the face or into the bucket. We still catch some bag, but not terrible. Haylage is the worst. It makes the bag lumpy and bunches up on the bottom bad.