Farmall Super C

planejeff

What's the engine serial number? I have a Super C parts book from 1959 that shows the dipstick was available for the C123. It does not denote what determined when the dipstick was used vs the petcocks. 

@Super A was just asking about this very same thing a week or so ago. 

The 230 I have has a dipstick, maybe it had an engine replacement late in life

7 hours ago, AKwelder said:

200 does also 

58 minutes ago, bitty said:

200 does also 

I would guess that after a certain point all the engines that model had a dipstick, so if they had the motor replaced after the late 50’s it came with a dipstick 

21 hours ago, AKwelder said:

the 100/200 series all had dipsticks.  I can't find anything in writing but I think the dipstick started happening in late '54 on the Super C and Super A-1, and IH phased it into production.  I've talked to some other people with Super A-1s and some have dipsticks and some don't. 

Al

https://www.steinertractor.com/JDS3379-Engine-Dipstick-Conversion

I never knew about this. They say it was an aftermarket add on all the way back to when the tractors were almost new. Seems like the petcocks were not a favorite even then. But, how is unscrewing the dipstick faster or easier than turning the petcock? I guess it might save some time knowing whether to bring 1 or 2 quarts back from the shed to fill it.

The petcocks are from kerosene and distillate days. With those fuels the crankcase would fill not lower. When filled to upper petcock. You would open lower petcock and lower to that level. After twice it was time to change oil. Procedure varied from make and model but that is the procedure I remember and the reason old tractors had petcocks instead of dipsticks.

• Thanks 1

Don’t worry about that ! Put it in a tractor pull tells what that baby can do ! Hook it !