Let the neighbors know when the power is out

jeeper61

While in school I had a part time job making printers, the Printec 100! Its claim to fame was that it was three times faster than a teletype and about as noisy. Anyway for the 50hz market they indeed had a large electric motor driving a 50hz generator for clean phase conversion.

• Like 1

I'm quite sure that there are people out there who would think that Little Red's electric generator would be more green than the Detroit is already. 

As New Englander mentioned, motor-generators have been used for all sorts of conversions since the beginning of electric power. Some of you fellas have probably used a welder built that way. AC to DC conversion was commonly done this way before we had diodes and other semiconductors. 

To bad for the greenies, and the rest of us I suppose, we have never been able to get around the physics of these converters. If only we could produce more power than what was input. Physics dictates that we never will. 

• Like 1

Thumbs up.

I would love to latch onto a 4-71 or 6-71 gen set.  I would hold out for a 12V-71 but that would just be absurd overkill.  Detroits are perfect standby gen set engines, other than a little inefficient.  

Every so often I have to hunt down and listen to the start up of the Detroit’s really big brother, a 20 cylinder EMD 710 powering a stand by gen set for a hospital somewhere in the world.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gearclash said:

Thumbs up.

I would love to latch onto a 4-71 or 6-71 gen set.  I would hold out for a 12V-71 but that would just be absurd overkill.  Detroits are perfect standby gen set engines, other than a little inefficient.  

Every so often I have to hunt down and listen to the start up of the Detroit’s really big brother, a 20 cylinder EMD 710 powering a stand by gen set for a hospital somewhere in the world.  

Richarz Repair in Larchwood has a 16V-71 that was on a genset, I’m sure a smart guy like you could find a new generator or three to hook up to it. You’ve probably seen it sitting there when you go to Sioux Falls. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paystar5000 said:

At work there are 2 230Kw generators with 8V92 Detroit’s.  They are noisy.  You want earmufflers if you have to be right next to them.

Ran 72 81 Terex loaders 8V92 twin turbo charged and they weren't noisy,just whistled and screamed. But the old R22 35 ton Euclids with the same motor but no turbos would blow your mind they were so loud,You could feel the sound in your body.I don't know how I drove those trucks without ear protection. I never could now.

• Like 2

Canal company had a GM like that on a pump to pump water out of lake a 1/4 mile up to the canal. The darn engine would wake us up 1 mile away in the night. Kids were young and one night i went up there with a hammer and block of wood and hammered the copper fuel line about 3/4 flat. Got back home and in a few minutes you could hear it slowing down and finally it quit. They fixed it and other guys had done it also and they finally put a house around it with insulation and the stack out the roof. It sure helped but everyone was happy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

Richarz Repair in Larchwood has a 16V-71 that was on a genset, I’m sure a smart guy like you could find a new generator or three to hook up to it. You’ve probably seen it sitting there when you go to Sioux Falls. 

Oooo, a 16V. Could power the whole neighborhood with that. Just went by Richarz Wednesday, didn’t see it unfortunately. 

A note about Detroit 2 stroke noise:  in some cases it is not the exhaust noise level that carries so far but noise emanating from the intake side, generated by the Roots blower.  A good silencing system there can drastically cut the offending noise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jacka said:

Ran 72 81 Terex loaders 8V92 twin turbo charged and they weren't noisy,just whistled and screamed. But the old R22 35 ton Euclids with the same motor but no turbos would blow your mind they were so loud,You could feel the sound in your body.I don't know how I drove those trucks without ear protection. I never could now.

Gotta say I was wrong before someone does .Was building fence and got to thinking they weren't 8 V 92's but 12V92's.Loaders twin turboed and Eucs not.Senior moment I guess. 

Forgive me please 

The USS Sterett(CG31) I was attached to from 1975 to 1978 had a 250 KW 3% 440 VAC emergency generator that  used 2, 8V71's with a generator coupled between them. That was a very good genset, could run off both engines or either, manual synchronization of the 8V71's. We also had a SOLAR gas turbine 125 KW genset.  Fortunately they were in different ends of the ship, I am not sure which genset was louder either required hearing protection in the confines of a metal ship. But the detroits always come online before the SOLAR.  The SOLAR used 3000 PSI air starting, the Detroits were 24 VDC.   The 2 main generators for the ship were 1200 PSI 950 degree steam driven rated a 1,200,000 watts each.  Ships are power hogs!

Ill take it, how much for delivery?

28 minutes ago, oleman said:

I would assume that wold have been a 6V53's, much smaller and lighter  than a 71 or 92.

They were. Friend had one in a 70-ish 1800 ... ran so good we wanted to try it in a LN-800... broke so many Eaton axles had to give up and change the rear axle to a 38,000. The 1800 had a butterfly hood and I thought it must have been horrible to work on, but in later years I figured out that it’s not a big deal to take out the inner fender.