Pigeon dinner anyone?

cobfly

I know this old feller, with an old barn, that hates pigeons. He says, "the only good pigeon is a dead pigeon." So every now and then, me and a friend go over and with some beer and shells to try to help the old feller out. Makes for a fine afternoon. Pigeons don't seem to be real bright, as they keep coming back. Lot of fun. But, being pragmatic, we eat them. We have done them different ways, but my favorites are braise the breasts with onions and jalapenos, and then meat side up, slow cook with either cream of mushroom soup or a marinara sauce of your choosing. Sourdough biscuits are a nice addition, to help sop up the slop. I don't think I would eat a city pigeon, but country pigeons are fine. The old boy is always grateful, as he doesn't have to listen to them anymore or put up with their crap. Bon Appetit!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, cobfly said:

A dead pigeon is a good pigeon. Doves, Huns, Chuckar are all delicious.

..you have the temerity to eat our avian friends  ??????    ...like the ones with wings and legs.?????......what about them stool pigeons  ?????...do you eat those buggars  also ?????....I believe they don't fly to good, them stool   pigeons... what about soiled doves...ever had a chew on them?????

...so many choices  ...sigh

Mike

• Haha 4

I have been known to associate with a soiled dove on occasion. Couple beers after, good to go. Stool pigeons just die. Not worth the spices.

Back when me a the cousins was kids, grandpa used to soak corn in whiskey and let the pigeons have at it. 

They got very vocal and wobbled around making a spectacle of themselves......................😏

Great entertainment in the pre internet days.😄

• Haha 9

7 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Back when me a the cousins was kids, grandpa used to soak corn in whiskey and let the pigeons have at it. 

They got very vocal and wobbled around making a spectacle of themselves......................😏

Great entertainment in the pre internet days.😄

I have seen that before very funny 

1 hour ago, Rawleigh99 said:

My daughter had this book!  Very appropriate in the context of this post as well as others!  LOL!

https://pigeonpresents.com/books/dont-let-the-pigeon-drive-the-bus/

Applies to......., well you know!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

There would be a lot less poop in the nest if the pigeon was removed from the coop....

Hence the recipe. Pigeon tastes like long pig.

• Like 1

Inwas just talking to a local cabinet maker. He has a building that was a barn, then an art gallery, he’s currently moving his cabinet shop to it. He's been waging war on pigeons. Been trying to talk him into a garden gun, and trying to give him a cat. So far he’s fighting the good fight with a pellet gun. Not sure how much luck he’s having. 

1 hour ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Nope.  I could not take the embarrassment if I lost!   😁

Doesn't matter the pigeon always thinks it won anyway. 😄😄

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Inwas just talking to a local cabinet maker. He has a building that was a barn, then an art gallery, he’s currently moving his cabinet shop to it. He's been waging war on pigeons. Been trying to talk him into a garden gun, and trying to give him a cat. So far he’s fighting the good fight with a pellet gun. Not sure how much luck he’s having. 

Depends on the pellet gun. I'm at about $50 per pigeon, and I've shot a lot of pigeons with this thing. 

20200417_125351.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1