Jump to content

1064


756puller
 Share

Recommended Posts

My dad has a 1064 head that is set on 36 inch rows. He plants 4 row 38 inch rows. My brother thinks we need a 4 row head to match the planter. I don't want to go four row cause we have a 1660 which is a perfect match for the 6 row head plus I really don't want to have to swap around front axle spacers for 200 acres of corn.  I know I can widen the head to 38 inch spacing. What's everyone think?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

200 acres with a 4 row planter..... I think I'd find a 6 and start widening gates. The time wasted with that 4 row planter would have easily been saved by a 6 and spent permanently moving gates.

I plant 12 and harvest 8. I was going to drop down to a 6 row corn head, but just can't give up the speed of harvesting 8.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We plant with a 12 and combine with a 8, works very well.  Depending on how straight you plant, but for us it seems even if there is some varying in planter straightness there is quite a bit of forgiveness in the rows and the stalks will bend quite aways and still get the ears picked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With all the sidehills and contours I plant, I would never attempt to combine with a head that doesn't match the planter! Straight, square fields, might try it.

Edit; Have never seen a 1064 head, piles of 1063's. Everything wide row around here, that I have seen anyway, is either 4 or 8.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's only money, right guys?

How much trouble is it to widen the head? I would think it might be simpler to narrow up the planter for next spring. The head should work ok with the rows just being 2" off, and yes, I'm aware the difference compounds. Maybe just pick up 4 rows and gut it out for this harvest.

I plant with a 4-row and they combined with an 8-row. The operator was complaining about my "inconsistent guess rows" and how it kept plugging the head. I'm a little offended as the fields came out PERFECT and they don't come out perfect if you plant narrow or crooked.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back to the 1st post, I don't think the metal on a 1000 series head can adjust 36, 38, 40 like the 800 heads. I think the snouts were what you ordered. At least i'm pretty sure my 1063 is that way. Don't believe my metal has holes for 28 or 32 inch adjustment but i think my wide and narrow 800 heads did

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/25/2022 at 10:52 PM, brahamfireman said:

200 acres with a 4 row planter..... I think I'd find a 6 and start widening gates. The time wasted with that 4 row planter would have easily been saved by a 6 and spent permanently moving gates.

I plant 12 and harvest 8. I was going to drop down to a 6 row corn head, but just can't give up the speed of harvesting 8.

We plant 150 with an 8 row and i am glad it isnt smaller. We have harvested with our 8 row header for neighbor with 6 row planter, it worked pretty good. If you plant consistently it wont matter, wide and narrow guess rows and you will hate it.  I have had people suprised that we dont have auto steer for how straight our rows are, it sure heps harvesting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

the fields came out PERFECT and they don't come out perfect if you plant narrow or crooked.

They would come out perfect if you're planting narrow on one marker and wide on the other which is usually what happens because of how people sit in the seat and are seeing the marker.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not at all related to the subject, but guess rows on thirties with a four row planter..

Then split them into fifteens in soybeans, I get this all the time, how do you do it?

Look straight ahead and stay on the mark that's very hard in a no till field at times.

I'm sure planting perfect in narrow or wide rows, should not be a issue which ever row head and planter combo that's used?

Look forward, nothing behind you're looking at will straighten the guess row!

I have no GPS, a good eye ball and don't get distracted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have him slide his markers in 2-4".    Then at least a couple rows will be spaced right on the header!   😵

I would never combine with a row width mismatched header.   2 good reasons : 

1) the corn feeds much MUCH better when it is coming straight into the rolls/plates.   Just 1-2" off and you have far more plants breaking off/shoved forward, stalks piling up on the snoots, slugs.   I've seen many cases of one of our customers fighting down corn, corn reel, total mess with stuff hanging up all over the head - then they add row guidance that keeps them centered right on the row, and the corn reel goes up and then off - and they are sliding right along with the corn feeding in.   My guess is your harvest would go easier with the header or planter adjusted to the same row width (nobody likes getting out to shovel piles of stalks off the head).

2)  Headsight did a study a few years ago and showed that, on average, you lose 1 bu/acre for the first 1" you are off the row - and that number increases per inch the further off you are.  Your current head averages 3" off the row - I'd guess that that is losing you 4-5 bu/acre.   The cows may clean up the lost ears, but not the butt shelled corn!

Now, if your dad plants pretty straight, and you reset the head to 38" (or planter to 36") then picking 6 rows on 4 row planting may be "acceptable".   

Or buy a 12 row lift and swing Kinze planter that will go thru those narrow gates! 😄

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

I would never combine with a row width mismatched header.   2 good reasons : 

1) the corn feeds much MUCH better when it is coming straight into the rolls/plates.   Just 1-2" off and you have far more plants breaking off/shoved forward, stalks piling up on the snoots, slugs.   I've seen many cases of one of our customers fighting down corn, corn reel, total mess with stuff hanging up all over the head - then they add row guidance that keeps them centered right on the row, and the corn reel goes up and then off - and they are sliding right along with the corn feeding in.   My guess is your harvest would go easier with the header or planter adjusted to the same row width (nobody likes getting out to shovel piles of stalks off the head).

2)  Headsight did a study a few years ago and showed that, on average, you lose 1 bu/acre for the first 1" you are off the row - and that number increases per inch the further off you are.  Your current head averages 3" off the row - I'd guess that that is losing you 4-5 bu/acre.   The cows may clean up the lost ears, but not the butt shelled corn!

I find most of that hard to believe. Every wide row IH head is 40" yet every wide row planter is 38,or 36.

I've been doing 40 or so acres for 6 years with a 40" 4 row head for neighbors.  They all plant 38 or 36, can't say I ever seen much butt shelling from it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/26/2022 at 11:19 AM, Matt Kirsch said:

It's only money, right guys?

How much trouble is it to widen the head? I would think it might be simpler to narrow up the planter for next spring. The head should work ok with the rows just being 2" off, and yes, I'm aware the difference compounds. Maybe just pick up 4 rows and gut it out for this harvest.

I plant with a 4-row and they combined with an 8-row. The operator was complaining about my "inconsistent guess rows" and how it kept plugging the head. I'm a little offended as the fields came out PERFECT and they don't come out perfect if you plant narrow or crooked.

  Dad planted 4 rows and combined 3 rows at a time for a number of years.  Mismatched planter and combine work with patience.  Some custom guy who is trying to do a job in record time will find problems with a field with a planter tractor that does not use auto-steer.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...