What Did The Word "Silvertown" on B.F. Goodrich Tires Refer To?

Art From Coleman

Some searching brought this up:

Goodrich continued to apply the latest technology to its tire production. In 1910 it introduced the first cord tire for use on U.S. automobiles. This tire, which reduced fuel consumption and increased the comfort of the ride, was developed in Silver-town, England, and marketed there as the Palmer Cord. Goodrich purchased the patent rights for it in the United States and sold it to U.S. consumers as the Silvertown Cord.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

B.F. Goodrich was originally from a small quiet town on I-90 at the NY PA town line called Ripley. Not a lot going on there, other than my favorite diner and dairy bar on the planet, Meeders.

1 hour ago, KWRB said:

B.F. Goodrich was originally from a small quiet town on I-90 at the NY PA town line called Ripley. Not a lot going on there, other than my favorite diner and dairy bar on the planet, Meeders.

Been through Ripley a few times.  There is a Conrail track just east of Ripley.  All kinds of grapes as well.  Welch's was just up US 20 at Westfield.

We've had a lot of B.F. Goodrich Silvertown tires from when I was a kid growing up. I replaced the rear tires on my 350 a couple of years and I  believe the Silver Towns on it were the originals. They were badly wether checked and dry rotted, one went flat in the shed so I knew it was time!