The Dairy Goat Thread

U-C

this video is from a goat show in the Appenzell region of Switzerland show casing the Appenzell Goat, this breed is a Dairy goat breed and is sadly endangered only about 1200 to 1500 are left there once where over 5000 of em mostly kept by poor small farmers or and also by Herders that moved there cattle to the alpine pastures and etc. 

• U-C changed the title to The Dairy Goat Thread

My son has a milk goat for farm use. I get a quart jar when I go out there. Goat milk from this goat is good taste. Bought goat milk in past ,in store tasted goaty ( my term ). My son said in store milk is old .
Hes worked out an exchange system with another’s farm.  This goat will go back in six month  for a break  and a fresh one comes in.  Pretty good way to do it. 

• Like 1

I had most of my life goats almost 24 years, sadly had to sell them off this past march. Kept mostly Alpines and Saanen cross but some had Boar goat gene which I was breeding out. Will start over in a year or two at least that is the plan. 

Great posts as usual! I have friends who got into goat dairy activities last year, reminds me of all the hobby home brewing and sugar making equipment. Just like the real thing only miniature. Seems like a lot of work, but they seem to enjoy it. 

• Like 1

the Milk production of the Swiss breed Nera Verzasca is lower then other Swiss breeds around 490 liters per lactation but there meat quality is very good. 

The Saanen breed dates back to the 1600s when it was first breed to only white so farmers could see them better from far away. The Saanen goat originated from the Saanen Valley and Simmental Valley of Bern Switzerland.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

actually one doesn't need any hand cream to milk em by hand I never used it because there is always a chance ya might dirty the milk

• 4 weeks later...