1566 bell housing knock clunk tick..

Wisconsinred

Long story short hot 1566 with a reman 466, main pto horse on our dairy. As it’s fall it’s been on the farmhand hammer mill The last few days. Uncle called at about load 10 yesterday and said it was pushing water out the overflow so he shut it down, we chalked that to be sudden high temps outside and maybe running a little to hard let it cool a while and everything was fine, except a faint noise behind the clutch, popped the bottom cover off and there laid the grease tube for the throw out bearing, I can’t see anything bent to make that noise, but idk it’s awful funny it’s ran 100’s of loads through that mill and suddenly boils the water almost like a bearing locked up or got tight. Loud as that mill is you’d never hear it in the moment he said he seen the water paniced shut everything down. 

Years ago we were doing PTO work with our 1066 and it started knocking. It was weird as it would be two small clicks than one louder knock. 
turns out it broke one tooth off of two of the gears so the two smaller clicks was when the small gear broken tooth hit a good spot on bigger gear but when both broken teeth lined up it would give out the louder knock. 
if I remember right we pulled the MCV and rolled the motor over by hand and could see the broken gear. 

• Like 1

BIL used to explode the PTO system on a 1456 cranked up to 200 HP and on a tub grinder.

He would do the double split to get the new shaft and gear in, in an evening.

He got good at it.

But that extra power got costly.

10 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

BIL used to explode the PTO system on a 1456 cranked up to 200 HP and on a tub grinder.

He would do the double split to get the new shaft and gear in, in an evening.

He got good at it.

But that extra power got costly.

It’s not so bad if I’m running it but throw uncle etc on there and let them get in a hurry or think there behind and it’s a different story. You have to respect that power. 

• 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, JT706 said:

IH could’ve beefed up the PTO drive in their tractors. I have a 4186 that never had anything hooked to the PTO but at a clutch replacement at 3000 hours the PTO drive shaft splines were almost wore off like you’d used the PTO every day 

I not sure on 4186 but 706 on up drive hydraulics off them splines also. I imagine the steering taxes them splines on 4186 some. I could be wrong though. 

On 10/26/2022 at 7:15 PM, Wisconsinred said:

Thanks everyone in deed it was a tooth off the bottom gear. Looks like the clutch hub rivets are sloppy as well so who knows what else we will find I’ll post pics when we split it 

wonder if that same gear is what is making the noise in my 1466? It was turned up to 200 hp when I got it, had it turned back to 180, but its done a lot of pto work, mostly running a 2 row chopper. 

Pics of the damage welcome.