Torque sensing compressor plate for variable rotor belt replacement?

acem

I have the opportunity to replace the rotor variable drive belt on my 1460 and was reading the instructions in a manual. It mentions compressor plate to open up the driven pulley. I don't have one of these.

How helpful are these?

Can someone post a pic?

Thx-Ace 

Looks like this.

Do what everyone else has been doing for 30+ years....take a 2×4 and make a wedge/point shape on one end and then drive it in between the pulley halves. The spring on those wasnt too strong so the wedge works just as good as the tool.

20221020_095956.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use a piece of 2x2 about 3” long to stuff down between the pulleys. Don’t bother swinging the gearbox both ways to change the belt either. Run the drive pulley all the way to slow position. Cut the old one off with a hacksaw. Feed the new one in (after disconnecting the driveshaft and getting the pulley motor up out of the way), get it seated in the drive pulley, start it in the driven pulley and use the big wrench to turn it all the way in. 

11 hours ago, acem said:

Thanks y'all.

Did combines come with one or is it a special tool?

Cut the old belt off???

Mine always break when a slug of down rice hits the rotor!!!

Both of the axial flows I have owned came with that tool wrapped up in some kind of oily cardboard.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, acem said:

Thanks y'all.

Did combines come with one or is it a special tool?

Cut the old belt off???

Mine always break when a slug of down rice hits the rotor!!!

If you are breaking them constantly. The rollers and cam on torque sensor and the drive sheave need attention. You should kill the combine dead if a slug is big enough. You will ruin the belt slipping it to unplug rotor though if not careful. Seriously I know rice is the worst on parts but we use to fix dads combine up when he would tear belts on weedy crops. Unloading spring pressure on belt over off season is supposed to help also. Easiest way to describe belt action is a rotor slows down cams are supposed to take over and tighten belt more and change speed a bit.  I always describe it as a way up here people understand.  Snowmobiles are similar not the same but if you hot rod the heck out of the. You change belts along the trail.

• Like 1

It doesn't break the belt every time I plug the rotor. 

But every time I break a belt it's when the rotor plugs.

I put two belts on when I take the drive shaft off. One goes on the rotor and the other is tied up for a spare. This time I put the spare on. It has been several years waiting in position but I have a feeling I may need another this season. The rice is pretty good and some has already gone down.

Thx-Ace 

Rice also has many different types. 

Grain length. Short, medium and long.

Flavors. Basmati, jasmine, etc.

Colors (bran and/or center). 

Texture. Sticky, individual (not Sticky), etc.

Cooking properties.

It goes on. 

Ov course there are numerous varieties of each type.

Most of the world has rice or wheat as the base of their diet (some both). Wheat is the king of temperate climates. Rice is king of the tropics. Corn is a major crop but is primarily animal feed.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 2

Back to your original question.

My rice is typical American long grain white rice like you would buy in the store. The variety is Jewel, a public variety from the Arkansas rice breeding program.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 11:13 AM, Farmall Doctor said:

I use a piece of 2x2 about 3” long to stuff down between the pulleys. Don’t bother swinging the gearbox both ways to change the belt either. Run the drive pulley all the way to slow position. Cut the old one off with a hacksaw. Feed the new one in (after disconnecting the driveshaft and getting the pulley motor up out of the way), get it seated in the drive pulley, start it in the driven pulley and use the big wrench to turn it all the way in. 

I’m not trying to argue with you… but depending on where that gearbox is I don’t see how you would get the new one on without moving that gearbox. Not to mention your going to have to loosen the bolts and set the tension on the new belt anyway. Or at least you should set the tension on the new one.

10 hours ago, acem said:

Back to your original question.

My rice is typical American long grain white rice like you would buy in the store. The variety is Jewel, a public variety from the Arkansas rice breeding program.

Thx-Ace 

Thanks acme. That's awesome, just got a course in rice 101🤗

13 hours ago, acem said:

Rice also has many different types. 

Grain length. Short, medium and long.

Flavors. Basmati, jasmine, etc.

Colors (bran and/or center). 

Texture. Sticky, individual (not Sticky), etc.

Cooking properties.

It goes on. 

Ov course there are numerous varieties of each type.

Most of the world has rice or wheat as the base of their diet (some both). Wheat is the king of temperate climates. Rice is king of the tropics. Corn is a major crop but is primarily animal feed.

Thx-Ace 

Thanks for taking the time to explain. It is fun to see all types of ag. How to you seed rice? Regular disc type drill? Or special planter.

7 hours ago, tractorholic said:

I’m not trying to argue with you… but depending on where that gearbox is I don’t see how you would get the new one on without moving that gearbox. Not to mention your going to have to loosen the bolts and set the tension on the new belt anyway. Or at least you should set the tension on the new one.

Have done at least a half a dozen of those the last 35 years, never messed with any gearbox. Just unhooked drive shaft and another small thing or 2, drive a piece of wood in pulley and your on your way. Was a half hour job when i was 30, today i would have to take a soda/candy bar break. Can turn pretty much anything into a 2 hour job any more

Rice can be planted with a grain drill in dry soil.  This is the most common method in the Eastern rice producing areas.

It can be flown into a shallow flood (water seeded). This is the most common method in California.

In other countries, sometimes the seeds are started then transplanted into the water. 

not all rice is grown in water. Some rice is grown under center pivots or  furrow irrigated (row rice). A friend grows rice in Guatemala without irrigation or flood. It grows similar to wheat. Monsoon Rains water it most every day during a wet season. Rice is actually drought tolerant but is also water tolerant. The flood makes weed and disease control easier.

Rice will regrow after harvest and make another crop, similar to milo (sorghum), if there is sufficient growing season and moisture. This is common in Southern Louisiana, Texas, etc. It's called a ratoon crop.

• Thanks 1