concrete powder

pt756

Not sure about cement shortage in our area. I had 130 yard 6 sack slab done 2 weeks ago. The contractor waited 8-10 days for scheduling.  Batch plants are busy.  Back log was lack of drivers creating the jam, might be the same there.

5 hours ago, pt756 said:

contractor was talking the other night, said here in central wis, hard to get the powder for redi mix,

I work for a redi mix company here in western mass ,southern NH. We don’t seem to have any shortage of powder. We do have problems picking it up at the terminal because they can’t get it there on rail and have had trucks delivering it from the Mill in Glenn’s Falls NY. The powder company has made us a deal they are delivering directly to us from the mill for the same price as picked up at the terminal. It is harder to schedule deliveries of powder a day or two ahead of time  but it has been working for a few years like that just always try to keep the cement silo full. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 806 man said:

Not sure about cement shortage in our area. I had 130 yard 6 sack slab done 2 weeks ago. The contractor waited 8-10 days for scheduling.  Batch plants are busy.  Back log was lack of drivers creating the jam, might be the same there.

We are delivering to our every day customers on a regular basis and trying to keep the contractors that are with us most of the time happy. But we do have to push some off a while. I have heard a few guys that want to do jobs or have tried to hire out of town floor  finisher to do a floor for them say when the finisher calls up dispatch told them a week to get it not knowing who it’s for. We have been short drivers for a few years or should I say drivers willing to work and not call in sick every other week or be able to work outside of 8-4  

• Sad 1

I heard the same thing yesterday here in sw Ontario. The contractor said that housing is apparently more important than ag cement jobs, so the new houses get priority. We are losing around 200 acres a day of good farmland to urban sprawl here in Ontario. And the powers the be couldn’t be happier. 

• Sad 3

The whole concrete process is highly energy intensive, from manufacturing the Portland powder to delivering the mud to the site.  And everything in between.  Remind me again what energy prices are doing?  And logistics costs?

12 hours ago, Farmall Doctor said:

I heard the same thing yesterday here in sw Ontario. The contractor said that housing is apparently more important than ag cement jobs, so the new houses get priority. We are losing around 200 acres a day of good farmland to urban sprawl here in Ontario. And the powers the be couldn’t be happier. 

Everywhere. Good cropland is growing the final crop, solar farms, or housing take your pick.

11 hours ago, Gearclash said:

The whole concrete process is highly energy intensive, from manufacturing the Portland powder to delivering the mud to the site.  And everything in between.  Remind me again what energy prices are doing?  And logistics costs?

Booming. Or so I’ve heard🤯

16 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Forgive my ignorance. What is concrete powder exactly? Cement, flyash etc I've heard of but....

I think they mean portland?

My local place only does DIY homeowner kind of runs on Saturday mornings if they have a driver and the weather is nice and they aren’t running for a contractor or big project.  And you need to be ready whenever it is they can get to you. So basically you’re out of luck. 

Just got a price for concrete wall and footer on a ncrs manure shed.  $60,000 for the concrete work.  It is hard to believe.