stuck 450 engine

hagan

a 450 gas with a stuck or locked up engine is coming up on a auction before long. I have heard that coke is a good way to free them up but can you put it in and leave it or not? I have heard in a couple weeks coke will eat up a nail wheather or not that is true i do not know. What would you put in it and how would you go about freeing it up. I kind of want to fix it up and will have a narrow front and a wide front when i am done. Thanks 

20 minutes ago, hagan said:

I have heard in a couple weeks coke will eat up a nail wheather or not that is true i do not know

I should have taken pictures....rebuilding engine in a JD right now that was stuck. I too have heard the coke thing an even remember doing it in science class. Needless to say after 2 weeks of waiting I ended up pulling sleeves, pistons and rods as a group. Then put sleeves in press to get pistons out, the one causing the trouble took 15 ton (according to gauge on press) before it broke loose. The coke did make it down to oil control ring on the other 3 cylinders. 

Keep in mind that there is no 100% effective concoction for freeing up stuck engines. The only sure-fire way is to pull the head, assess, and do what it takes to get the engine free. Pour-in concoctions only work on "light stuck" engines, which just have a little bit of condensation-induced surface rust, that in all likelihood would have come loose anyway.

No amount of potion will do anything if there's standing water in the cylinder.

When we were cleaning up my granparents' farm there was a Cat 22 with a seized engine. That's where I first heard of putting coca-cola in an engine to free it up.

Do what you will end up doing from the start-----Tear it down! You will waste more time trying to get it loose.

I would take the plugs out and dump some diesel in there and give it a couple jerks with a chain and if that dont loosen it, get the wrenches out.

Even IF you got it loose the rings most likely are stuck and you would never be happy with it!

• Like 1

I would say just pull the head first thing. A head gasket set costs what? $100? If the engine is stuck it should be a cheap tractor to start with so you should have some wiggle room for a parts budget.

After you pull the head you can put a plan together. If it's a rust exhibit leave the oil on the shelf until you deal with that. Clean as much of the rust out as you can before dumping anything in the cylinders. Especially down past the top of the piston above the rings. Then dump some rust dissolver in and let it sit a few days.

As far as rust dissolver I think you could get away with just white vinegar. I've heard it doesn't attack iron or steel. Have had a few years to think about the topic since I last dealt with a stuck engine.IMG_0344.thumb.JPG.5410c7afdc48d98369d96587af5a74b9.JPGIMG_0446.thumb.JPG.fd91b6c6abf2a6362e374e48fdc5f9fa.JPG

• Like 3

I have bought two stuck tractors and have yet to have any success in unsticking them with a liquid concoction. The 400 had to have the pistons beat out of the engine and the super M is still waiting it's turn.

• Like 1

The last one I dealt with was a gas 560. No luck with the chain trick.  Drained the oil pan and got over 5 gallons of antifreeze.  Bad sign.  Pulled the head and found the issue.  Had a hole in number three cylinder wall.  My guess was that the PO left it outside without a cover on the exhaust in the rain.  Then the water froze in the cylinder and popped the wall.  Left it parked, all apart for a while until I stumbled across a used short block.  I stripped it completely down and totally rebuilt.  It was a smooth running like new engine after I finished.

With a stuck piston, even if you can get it free, as others have already said, you'll probably end up and have to pull the head anyway at some point.  If you get it free and running, it'll probably only be a short time until it's using oil like crazy.

10 hours ago, JDpartsman said:

I have bought two stuck tractors and have yet to have any success in unsticking them with a liquid concoction. The 400 had to have the pistons beat out of the engine and the super M is still waiting it's turn.

My experience too!

I have unstuck one with marvel mystery oil. I've always heard good things about atf/acetone mix as a penetrant and I bet I would work great in that situation. 

If it frees up the right thing to do is pull the head and inspect everything, but in reality if it's just a hobby tractor that isn't going to get used hard I would probably be satisfied with passing a compression check after running it a while.

Good luck 

54616.thumb.jpeg.7c88839e59f76cf37eef869e5030abfe.jpegIMG_20220821_160513537.thumb.jpg.adc7c93f92218fd86f101aa5a3a20f10.jpg

We just went through all this with a stuck engine on this Super M-T/A.  My Dad bought this tractor this April, was on an "estate" auction, tractor was underneath a 2MH picker pretty much all its life, hadn't ran or been used in 30+ years, sat outside, had a can over the exhaust, but was still stuck.  We tried the ATF/acetone mixture, all kinds of penetrating oils, but ultimately we had to pull the head, pull the pan, and using heat & a bottle jack with a block of wood on the crankshaft, we finally got the piston to move, and finally were able to turn the engine over a complete revolution.  Spun it over many times, cleaned everything up, put the pan & head back on, and after a full cleaning of the fuel system, we were able to get it up and running.  It's still on the original 6 volt system, and the original lights, amp gauge, and generator all work.

Good luck with getting yours unstuck, but prepare on pulling the cylinder head off, it'll make your life easier.

• Like 2