What Are The Aircraft At The 0:50 Time Mark?

Art From Coleman

A little known fact regarding the twin engined McDonnell F-4 Phantom II- It was initially, very briefly, slated to be known as the F-110 Phantom, which would have made it a twin engine member of the Century series. But it somehow got changed to F-4. 

Then you have the twin engined swing wing General Dynamics F-111 Aardvark. Some argue that the F-111 is also a part of the Century series fighters. I do not consider the F-111 to be a pure fighter. More like a fighter-bomber. I think it was at times called the FB-111. 

Then you have the twin engined Lockheed F-117 Stealth fighter. But, that came so long after the “classic” Century series fighters of ‘60’s, I also don’t consider the F-117 as a true member of the Century series club.

My favorite plane in the Century series club was the Convair F-106 Delta Dart. They used to fly them out of Selfridge Air Force Base in Michigan, north of Detroit. At times as kids we would see them flying over our farm in SE Michigan. Cool stuff. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Rick G. said:

My favorite plane in the Century series club was the Convair F-106 Delta Dart.

The people that my parents bought their house/acreage from in the LRGV, the husband was a retired USAF Colonel, and he had a certificate on the wall of the den showing that he had went Mach 2 in a F-106.  (He also had a "kegerator" on the screened in back porch).

After retirement, he took up flying crop dusters, until his physician told him he had been exposed to too much pesticide.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick G. said:

I think it was at times called the FB-111

They were based at Pease, a real window rattler.  Yes, a nap of the earth bomber, not really a fighter.

A so-so quality video of a demo in 1988:

8 hours ago, KWRB said:

Interesting the centuries come up here, and 19fortyfive published this today.

https://www.19fortyfive.com/2022/10/what-was-the-worst-fighter-jet-ever/

The author condemns the entire series but then goes on to list the deficiencies of just a few.  It was a time of new discoveries/technologies. For instance: On commenting on the F102 problems the author states the one of the fixes was "To fix the problems, Convair lengthened the fuselage, “pinched” the fuselage". Well, yeah, "pinching" the fuselage is called area ruling and results in a major reduction of drag. It's even used on some of the Dassault business jets. Back in the day it was quite the breakthrough.

Richard Whitcomb had just proved his concept in wind tunnel experiments and Convair was, as far as I know, the first to apply it in the F102.

56 minutes ago, New Englander said:

The author condemns the entire series but then goes on to list the deficiencies of just a few.  It was a time of new discoveries/technologies

I noticed this also, and in the end, literally, since this IS the last sentence, he admits as much:

In all, the Century Series was dangerous and expensive, more of a transitional series of aircraft than a staple of US air power.    

When you see these "Top 10", or "Worst 10" lists, take them all with a grain of salt, as they are entirely worthless.