I've been around for almost 70 years, and...

Steve C.

I don't remember seeing the sky looking like this.  I took these pics last Friday.

Saw something similar a couple of weeks ago.  Anyone have an idea as to what's going on here?

IMG_20221014_142825 (2).jpg

IMG_20221014_150851.jpg

IMG_20221014_150855.jpg

IMG_20221014_150903.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MTB98 said:

Jet contrails and cirrus clouds on a nice clear fall day. 

No cirrus clouds that day.  I watched the trails slowly drift away and become a haze.  Contrails just disappear. 

I've seen countless contrails in my life.  These were not those. 

Just now, jass1660 said:

Chem trails. More dumbing down of America.....

Seems to be working.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

No cirrus clouds that day.  I watched the trails slowly drift away and become a haze.  Contrails just disappear. 

I've seen countless contrails in my life.  These were not those. 

It's the cadillac converter on the the jet engines these days. The exhaust just isn't the same ol' contrails anymore.  LOL 

1 hour ago, Steve C. said:

I don't remember seeing the sky looking like this.  I took these pics last Friday.

Saw something similar a couple of weeks ago.  Anyone have an idea as to what's going on here?

IMG_20221014_142825 (2).jpg

IMG_20221014_150851.jpg

IMG_20221014_150855.jpg

IMG_20221014_150903.jpg

Military exercise.  I see trails like that once or twice per year around here.  Just yesterday I saw two military copters heading west which would take them to Buffalo, NY unless they alter course before then.  

5 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

Military exercise.  I see trails like that once or twice per year around here.  Just yesterday I saw two military copters heading west which would take them to Buffalo, NY unless they alter course before then.  

Seems funny that they'd do it right over St. Louis.

• Like 1

Condensation trails may just disappear or they may become cirrus clouds (ice crystals) and spread out depending upon conditions. It looks like you're under a fix in the airways, possibly a VOR (ground) station nearby or now an RNAV (GPS) fix on a Q route. Contrails are often the seed for cirrus clouds.

It was noted that after 9 11 the sky was unusually clear and it was hypothesized that clouds begun by contrails were actually reflecting the sun in widespread fashion and actually keeping the earth cooler. As aircraft began to fly fairly soon after there was no controlled study, just observations.

Of course there are other hypothesis that the opposite effect is happening and clouds caused by contrails are keeping the heat in. We know that clouds limit radiation cooling at night so there may be something to that. It probably depends on the observer's orientation. Or perhaps there are studies. The climate change folks want to eliminate contrails but maybe that will have the wrong effect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And another:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/climatechange/2009/05/911_contrails_study_challenged.html

What the truth i, therefore, is really unknown, at least in my opinion. To some the sky is falling, others, maybe not.

I've been flying jets for over 40 years and I still see new-to-me cloud formations.

• Thanks 1

I remember the clear skies after 911.

Not a single contrail in the sky!

I knew a woman who was stationed at the air force base where Bush landed on 911. She said that the base went crazy that day! She was a B52 mechanic. She got real busy when they started bombing Afghanistan after that. She was alot of fun...

Thx-Ace 

I remember the skies over the farm looking like that raking hay as a kid 30 years ago. If you paid attention there was a jet airliner at the leading end of all those contrails.

We lived right under a main "jetway." Buffalo, Rochester, Toronto, New York City, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago... all flying planes from one to the other, cris-crossing right over the farm.

41 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

I remember the skies over the farm looking like that raking hay as a kid 30 years ago. If you paid attention there was a jet airliner at the leading end of all those contrails.

We lived right under a main "jetway." Buffalo, Rochester, Toronto, New York City, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago... all flying planes from one to the other, cris-crossing right over the farm.

If it happened when you were a kit there was most likely a VOR station nearby. They used to be marked by all of those crossings. With the advent of area navigation routes, the Q routes in the high altitude structure, there are somewhat fewer of those but still some such as Jamestown, which serves the NY and Boston arrivals from the west. Many VORs have been shut down as well as the NDBs since GPS has taken over. Only a skeleton structure will be left to serve, hopefully, in the event of a GPS shutdown.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CHEM TRAILS !!!! THE GOVT. IS DUMPING CHEMICALS ON US CAUSE WE ARE LIVING TOO LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!