Ways to complicate leaf cleanup.

vtfireman85

I hate leaf cleanup , I wanted t buy a commercial vac attachment and trailer with a blower for my lawnmower, but it just was too much to justify, I decided i already had the chipper, so with the hose i have proved the theory, now i just need a smaller hose for better suction. 
i ordered this from Amazon and plan to cut a hole big enough for the big hose in an old oil tank, I may try to find something to extend this pipe, i can then carry the chopped leaves collector on the forks.

hoping my 5” hose increases suction significantly. 

Leaves mixed with other crap should rot faster being all chopped up. 

8664D701-1CA8-400F-B88E-16C2765C4355.jpeg

01FF313C-696C-4B18-A198-5524955D4B2F.jpeg

If you don't need to remove the leaves, another option is a tractor powered blower. 3pt hitch PTO powered. Blow them out of the yard and back into the woods. A local park here has one. Make passes back and forth ever closer to the woods. This may not help you at all but it works well for some. 

I converted a mounted trac-vac blower into a cart version and use it on my 54" deck......$100 Hazard Frought Predator 6hp on it.....works great.

20191128_094806.jpg

• Like 4

I take a cover and put over the discharge side of mower and put gator blades and chop them up till I like how it looks. Works good for me and customer's like it.

• Like 1

I run Gators on the 54" with vac...makes a difference!

Sledge.....that was about 5 min after photo, I had just removed the boot from the deck and cleaned out the wagon......then ..... torch time.

• Haha 1

To be serious, my neighbor growing up was an older man and had huge oak trees all over his yard. He had what he called a “leaf boat”. He would rake the leaves onto a 15’ square canvas tarp that was rigged with a rope along one edge and then drag the leaves to their final destination.  It was work but it did work.
Me, I am lucky that my pecan leaves pretty much turn to dust under the lawn mower.  Otherwise, I blow them into the driveway and light them up on the rocks. One or two rains and there is no sign left. 

Backpack blower cheap big blue tarp. Blow them onto it drag to woods or flip tarp into a cat loader bucket. Use the 3 pt blower on big areas. Had to handle a 1/4mile lane lined with big oaks and a 10 a yard with lots of shade trees for many years

I like getting rid of the leaves, i blow from the edges in, then clean them up. My leaf boat was a bed liner, but i wore through it. Once i get rid of the leaves in the yard and down the driveway i push back into the woods as far as i can, I think it looks nicer, but more than that i think it helps with the bugs. 

10 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I hate leaf cleanup , I wanted t buy a commercial vac attachment and trailer with a blower for my lawnmower, but it just was too much to justify, I decided i already had the chipper, so with the hose i have proved the theory, now i just need a smaller hose for better suction. 
i ordered this from Amazon and plan to cut a hole big enough for the big hose in an old oil tank, I may try to find something to extend this pipe, i can then carry the chopped leaves collector on the forks.

hoping my 5” hose increases suction significantly. 

Leaves mixed with other crap should rot faster being all chopped up. 

When I bought my zero turn a few years ago I couldn’t justify a 1800$ bagger so we bought one of those 1000$ vacuum wagons from tractor supply that goes on the lawnmower chute it works good but loud it also has a 10’ hose that you can put on it to suck up leaves around fences and in corners it works good holds a lot of leaves chopped up it get heavy behind the mower  my only complaint is emptying it it dumps but not much comes out I keep a potato hook on hand to pull the chopped up leaves and grass out of it but the maple leaves and grass rot down good mixed with some horse manure 

42769A98-71B8-4B32-A51F-03B48BCEF1BE.jpeg

• Like 3

It's a process. Suck 'em up and grind them with the bagging Scag, dump into front end loader bucket, into dump truck, and off to the compost pile at the transfer station. If the leaves are real deep the Scag fills quickly so sometimes my wife will run the loader and fill the truck. Sometimes she'll do it all if I'm on a trip and the maples decide to shed. Bless her heart!

There's a couple of acres on the road which serves as our required road frontage. Across the road is a stand of oak trees and the prevailing wind sends them over. We just mulch them into the grass with the bat wing finish mower. Oak leaves are so tough the decks get nice and clean.

scag-about-Cougar-Bagger-Mower.webp

• Like 2

I always wanted to try putting a suction hose on an old feed grinder.

The blower in the back provides a lot of suck that should pickup the leaves and put the ground up ones in the tank.

Put a 3/16 screen in the mill and they should be ground very fine.

When the tank gets full, go unload.

Or feed the ground up leaves into a burner that burns them as you go.

The smell would be great!

I have two pecan trees, plus one trashy, and useless hackberry tree that sets on the property next door,  I blow the leaves up into a couple of windrows, then run the riding mower over them until they turn to dust, and call it good.

But I always set and watch the mower for 15-20 minutes afterwards to make sure that there is nothing smoldering on top of the deck, or under the hood and frame after wards, even after giving it a rinse.  As was said, the underside of the deck is nice and clean and shiny.

Seth, you need to go to a farm sale and buy an old forage blower. That ought to have the suction you’re looking for. I know a guy who used one to recycle cellulose insulation.  First sucked it out then used the blower to blow it in somewhere else.