corn spacing

F30

I"ve been planting corn on 22" rows for several years now. I use to plant corn on 30" rows but when the local canning company quit so did I. The biggest thing for me is I raise edible beans on 22" rows so I only need one planter, cultivator and don"t have to move tires and wheels needing less equipment. The corn I raise is for silage and have had very good yeilds, I believe the closer rows have reduced my weed pressure. This year I did not even spray for weeds. Just got it chopped but don't have weight tickets yet. Most of the corn is raised in this area on 22" rows along with sugar beets and edible beans.

• Like 1

I don’t have any side by side comparison.   We are on 30” inch rows.   Few BTO’s around us switched to 22 inch rows and bragged it was the only way to go.   Lately they are back to 30” rows so they must of made too much money on 22” rows.   Cost of equipment, what type of ground you have and what you all grow would be a bigger factor for me.  

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, nate said:

I don’t have any side by side comparison.   We are on 30” inch rows.   Few BTO’s around us switched to 22 inch rows and bragged it was the only way to go.   Lately they are back to 30” rows so they must of made too much money on 22” rows.   Cost of equipment, what type of ground you have and what you all grow would be a bigger factor for me.  

That’s about the same here. The few I know that tried it and went back to 30” was because they were getting hammered on trade in values of 20” equipment. “Here” there has been no yield benefit and anything other than 30” row equipment just isn’t worth much when it’s used. There was also a lot of problems with corn falling down in narrow rows, which is the opposite of what was claimed. YMMV

• Like 1

My brother has been planting 20” corn for some years now.  The main benefit is tonnage gains for corn silage.  He has been doing a small test plot for most of the years he has been on 20”, for quite a while he was planting the plot with a 30” planter so he was able to compare what the same hybrid would yield at 20” vs 30”.  Most years the 20” would outyield the 30”, running as much as 3 tons/acre better.  A few years 20 and 30 were equal.  Can’t say that the grain yields are better with the 20”, but he has not had trouble with stalks falling down. 

My Tractor Show buddy farmed 22 acres of his Dad's farm, on a corn-corn-beans rotation in 38 inch rows, one year on his beans he split his rows and planted 19 inch beans.  I never actually heard how the yields compared.

38 inch rows were typical for ear corn, and the old-timers like Dad "hill-dropped" 3-4 kernels every 18 to 24 inches.  That was about as narrow as a picker could handle.

Neighbor about 3 miles from Me planted 80 acres of corn I kept wanting to stop and measure row width all summer. IT'S combined now, I think it looks like 10 to 12 inch rows.  All I can think is "What a pain that would be to have to walk that field to detassel or Rouge a field like that." You can tell what I did several summers" I grew up by a town with THREE seed corn companies.

There is a field near here that is the 20's and when the wind and hail hit us last month, you can see a rabbit runnin across the field! its that flat,--stalks like your pinkie and wouldnt stand up. Field across the road from him is wide rows and only leaning so it kinda depends on where you are, and what you want to do with the corn, if chopping it,---then broadcast it will give you the tonnage.

We were 20" corn for 3 years then went back to 30s. Been a few others around here that have done the same. Our yields dropped 15bpa in 20" corn, mainly due to increased disease pressure. We're in an area that insecticide on corn is a must, our insecticide cost went up 50%. Every acre had to be sprayed with fungicide, only way was by plane., Also had increased lodging pressure. Equipment cost more hew & was worth less on trade in. The year we went back to 30" corn our yields went back up

If you go to 20" from 30" rows and keep the population the same I would think stalks would be bigger? Plants would be further apart in the row 

neighbor tried 20" rows for a couple years, then decided to go back to 30". problem was when he wanted to trade his 20" equipment the dealers wouldnt even take it on trade.    theres some 15" corn planted here but it's all chopped for silage with a row independent head on a self propelled chopper

5 hours ago, bitty said:

If you go to 20" from 30" rows and keep the population the same I would think stalks would be bigger? Plants would be further apart in the row 

That was the idea, but it didn’t work that way “here”. Lots of 20” corn heads were running around with corn reels permanently mounted. 

We tried some 15” corn several years ago. 30” yielded better. Never tried it again