Case ih 8460

sf03499

They are the same baler as the Hesston 565. Hesston called their automatic version a 565a. Not sure how Case/IH designated the auto version. I don't know if the 8460 is auto or manual. They were a very good baler for the time. One of the biggest downfalls is you can't see the pickup from the cab seat. If starting roll flaps were in good condition, starting a bale wasn't a problem. Twine arm can be a little finicky to adjust(on the auto baler). Value would depend greatly on condition baler. Number of bales on it, belt condition, sprockets, etc 

IIRC, the 8460 was the first big CaseIH-branded baler built by Hesston after they went together in the hay equipment business in the later 1980s. I don't recall all of the specifics, but I can remember there were several updates on the 8460s in the first years. In the early 1990s, CaseIH replaced them with the 8465, which they did offer as an 8465 Automatic model like TB5288 mentioned as available in the Hesston line. I remember we had a couple 8460s around....the one I can remember went through 3 owners in 3 years....just seemed like everyone that owned it spent more time fixing it than running it.

About the time the 8465 came out, New Holland finally retired their chain balers in favor of belt balers....starting with the 660 baler in the early 1990s. My old boss sold wayyy more 660s than the 8460/65s in CaseIH colors for the solid-core baler market.

I remember the comment about the pickup being hard to see from the tractor cab because it was too far under the baler. Seemed like guys also complained about the Hesston-based balers going through more pickup teeth than their NH counterparts. Seemed like the main balers we ever sold for CaseIH/Hesston models were the 8480 soft-core balers

If you want to see one in action go look up South Sask Farmer on youtube. He has/had an 8460 automatic as I recall. You'll have to go back a couple of years in his videos because he's upgraded a couple of times since then.

I think his friend Straight Pipe Acres has/had a plain 8460. Again you'll have to go back a couple of years to see the videos because he's got a New Holland now.

The automatics are pretty neat when they work. The monitor beeps, you stop, and it puts twine on the bale and ejects it with no input from you. No hydraulic remotes are necessary. It has its own pump and reservoir for all the hydraulic functions.

Both of them had problems with the clutches as I recall. Parts either crazy expensive or not available at all, and they both ended up jury-rigged.

Had a 565a ok when hay is dry very good day when a 567 Deere rolled in to replace it . Full of high dollar octagon bearings odd size only dealer could get . Don’t get me wrong it made a lot of good bales for me but it had its quirks.

On 10/17/2022 at 10:37 PM, SDman said:

IIRC, the 8460 was the first big CaseIH-branded baler built by Hesston after they went together in the hay equipment business in the later 1980s. I don't recall all of the specifics, but I can remember there were several updates on the 8460s in the first years. In the early 1990s, CaseIH replaced them with the 8465, which they did offer as an 8465 Automatic model like TB5288 mentioned as available in the Hesston line. I remember we had a couple 8460s around....the one I can remember went through 3 owners in 3 years....just seemed like everyone that owned it spent more time fixing it than running it.

About the time the 8465 came out, New Holland finally retired their chain balers in favor of belt balers....starting with the 660 baler in the early 1990s. My old boss sold wayyy more 660s than the 8460/65s in CaseIH colors for the solid-core baler market.

I remember the comment about the pickup being hard to see from the tractor cab because it was too far under the baler. Seemed like guys also complained about the Hesston-based balers going through more pickup teeth than their NH counterparts. Seemed like the main balers we ever sold for CaseIH/Hesston models were the 8480 soft-core balers

Same at the dealership I worked at. For an easy number I would say they sold 100 660's to every 1 CaseIH baler. But even with the chain baler It was 50 855's to 1 CIH. I loved selling those chain sets. Felt pity for the customer who had to install them.

Neighbor who did our hay runs a lot of bales every year through his 560 Hesston.   We are feeding some of them to our horse and they are nice tight bales so these can be made to work.  There are a number of the newer MF (Hesston) balers around here pulled by Green, Blue and red tractors do I would not be afraid of them.

8460 is the same as a 560 Hesston. First of that style of baler. I'm not sure if they were all fully auto or if they had some hyd tie versions. From what I understand the early ones had the "brain box" on the baler itself, whereas the later ones had everything in the monitor itself. Early ones were known to have issues with that around here. There isn't many of them around here anymore, but sure is a pile of 565 Hesstons and 8465 CIH. Also a New Idea 4665 is the same. Most around here are fully auto, which are 565A/ 8465A. But there is also quite a few with manual hyd tie, dump. They are 565T/ 8465T. They are a well liked baler around here, not many issues with them that I know of. They make a nice solid bale. We've ran 5580/5585 hesstons for years and we're looking to upgrade. We looked at quite a few 565/8465 but felt it wasn't enough of an upgrade for us. Ended up going to a CIH RS561A, same as a Hesston 856A. Not much difference in the bale chamber, but it has the wider pickup and different drive setup. So far we love it and are looking for another. 

On 10/21/2022 at 7:01 PM, ky966boy said:

Had a 565a ok when hay is dry very good day when a 567 Deere rolled in to replace it . Full of high dollar octagon bearings odd size only dealer could get . Don’t get me wrong it made a lot of good bales for me but it had its quirks.

What kind of bearings? So far any bearing we have needed the bearing supply we go to has them all in normal stock, but generally they are cheaper through agco or cnh. From what I know so far the bearings our old 5580 use are the same in the newer ones

It mainly had two sizes of octagon bearings seems like one was 1 1/16 or something no one around here had them but dealer and they always had to order them. This was before internet was big might be easier now . I finally got one spare of each one and never had one go out again let them go with roller. Also monitor would freeze up might go all day ok and might have to turn it off and on 20 times a day . 

On 10/19/2022 at 7:47 AM, Matt Kirsch said:

If you want to see one in action go look up South Sask Farmer on youtube. He has/had an 8460 automatic as I recall. You'll have to go back a couple of years in his videos because he's upgraded a couple of times since then.

I think his friend Straight Pipe Acres has/had a plain 8460. Again you'll have to go back a couple of years to see the videos because he's got a New Holland now.

The automatics are pretty neat when they work. The monitor beeps, you stop, and it puts twine on the bale and ejects it with no input from you. No hydraulic remotes are necessary. It has its own pump and reservoir for all the hydraulic functions.

Both of them had problems with the clutches as I recall. Parts either crazy expensive or not available at all, and they both ended up jury-rigged.

Mine had one button to start cycle I liked that part if you still had a few feet in a window you keep going and then hit the button.