Am I the last dinosaur that doesn't text

ray54

I have had phone for close to 25 years, but always for my continuous not yours. Only a limited number of places have service and none at home. So it rides in my truck turned off. The searching for service could take a battery down in half a day.

Some of my part time jobs like grape harvest at the vineyard where it did work it had a purpose. To climb off my open tractor and start looking for a part I broke. 😉 Most ridge tops have service, canyons not much.

Now with it mostly watching my few cows it can sit 2 months or more.

As much as no customer service should always be noted, not sure that is a good thing to do here.  I was still using a flip phone 15 years old as it got past from daughter, to mom,  to me. Big shot company started charging a $30 data plan on it in March, bill paying mom will not take that. From an hour to 3 every month since then to get charge removed, for that month, but still on it next month.

We knew we needed new phones by Dec, as for the system dropping old tec. The word is big company x has better coverage than y that we have been with. My wife said we stay with a flip, fine with me. But y would not let us take our phone numbers with us with a text to get a code.  So after a hour and a half of talking back and forth to heck with y and we have new phone numbers. Not a big deal for me. A lot more work for my wife but she had had it with the old company.

Well new phones are capable of texting, 😁 but I still don't think so, 😵 but I once said no computer for me and look at this check here everyday almost.

• Like 2

Text is much better than voicemail..... unless speech to text messed up without me catching it. If you get a number texted to you then you can click on it to call it 

• Like 4

I love text !

I hear your pain , our email carrier sold out and without notice shut us down.

trying to recover documents etc and notify all contacts of new email

Sucks big time,

Tony

• Sad 1

I love text. 
I was hesitant at first but soon realized how nice it is for short conversations. There is a time and place for it and a time and place for a call. 
 Nice thing about a text is you don’t have to answer it right away. If your busy it can wait 5 minutes, half hour or even couple hours. I have had 15 minute conversations take all day because both of us are too busy to talk for 15 minutes 

• Like 4

Wife and son talked me into a new phone 3 years ago; Wouldn't text for a long time now I do still learning on it.  Nice thing I have found out is you are able to text at times when you can't call. I was in semi awhile back could not call anyone but was able to text one friend to keep in touch with wife thru him.

• Like 2

I understand what you are saying, I wasn’t into texting at first but I like it for years now 

no negative judgment intended but I laugh about “old guys” who don’t text but post on forums or email, etc

I talk fast and/or mumble, phone mic is full of dirt, air compressor usually starts in the middle of a phone call inside the shop, step outside and it’s windy, I like text for sending an estimate for work, it’s in writing then, these parts, this cost, yes or no, sometimes a call to talk more about the job but the essentials are there in writing that is easily accessible, when the job is done a text saying it’s ready, $xxx is so easy for me 

good luck on your new adventure!!!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ray54 said:

I have had phone for close to 25 years, but always for my continuous not yours. Only a limited number of places have service and none at home. So it rides in my truck turned off. The searching for service could take a battery down in half a day.

Some of my part time jobs like grape harvest at the vineyard where it did work it had a purpose. To climb off my open tractor and start looking for a part I broke. 😉 Most ridge tops have service, canyons not much.

As much as no customer service should always be noted, not sure that is a good thing to do here.  I was still using a flip phone 15 years old as it got past from daughter, to mom,  to me. Big shot company started charging a $30 data plan on it in March, bill paying mom will not take that. From an hour to 3 every month since then to get charge removed, for that month, but still on it next month.

We knew we needed new phones by Dec, as for the system dropping old tec. The word is big company x has better coverage than y that we have been with. My wife said we stay with a flip, fine with me. But y would not let us take our phone numbers with us with a text to get a code.  So after a hour and a half of talking back and forth to heck with y and we have new phone numbers. Not a big deal for me. A lot more work for my wife but she had had it with the old company.

Well new phones are capable of texting, 😁 but I still don't think so, 😵 but I once said no computer for me and look at this check here everyday almost.

...I think not, Ray :)

....however....you may not reach the giddy hieghts  of the other ''electronic  wizards'' on here, who have tossed their texts into the ring ..(speaking of phones....:rolleyes:.)...but you are way   ahead   of my game

I do not own a cell phone...and see little merit in changing that stance...there is neither reception where my home is...nor   at the Station where my temporary job has lasted into the fifth year...almost full time....

...But it gets worse for the two farm managers here   (two adjacent Stations...owned by the same bloke...)...because I have yet to embrace the Metric System...which was mandated into New Zealand, in 1967...so ...I still speak English  .....inch's  ...  feet ....yards   acres   cubic yards  (when gravelling drive ways etc...)...fahrenheit...  lbs  as in tyre pressures  etc etc...it would appear that  my usefulness possibly slightly outweighs  my reticence  ...or pig headedness to speak ."foreign" talk.....and it  seems the two farm managers...both good blokes  have come to  accept that idiosyncratic   habit that I deliberately  'cultivate '',,,;)

tyrannosaurus   Mike

• Haha 9

Text my 86y old mother several times a day. She is hard of hearing and tends to take off on political rants about the latest idiocy. While I usually agree with her I don't always have the time for that while at work ect. A text first thing in the morning and again in the afternoon assures me she is still puttering around and gives her a chance to let me know if she needs anything.

As stated above nice that the person on either end can look when they have time and respond when they are able.  Sometimes I voice to text other times i tap away. 

• Like 2

The best part of texting IMO.... Is that it allows you to communicate, get instructions to or just get a simple yes or no from those whom you do not want to talk to!😎

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, ray54 said:

And, you don't have to type to text. Just hit that little microphone next to the box and talk. Just be careful to read before you send. The auto correct can put words in your mouth you didn't intend.

• Like 1

Lots of sites are now requiring a two part verification to insure it's you logging in and that usually requires you to insert a code texted to you.

Sometimes text conversations get too involved and it's better to just call but,as stated above, even if you have marginal service that won't support a call a text will go through.

5 hours ago, IHKeith said:

I understand what you are saying, I wasn’t into texting at first but I like it for years now 

no negative judgment intended but I laugh about “old guys” who don’t text but post on forums or email, etc

I talk fast and/or mumble, phone mic is full of dirt, air compressor usually starts in the middle of a phone call inside the shop, step outside and it’s windy, I like text for sending an estimate for work, it’s in writing then, these parts, this cost, yes or no, sometimes a call to talk more about the job but the essentials are there in writing that is easily accessible, when the job is done a text saying it’s ready, $xxx is so easy for me 

good luck on your new adventure!!!

6 hours ago, 1256pickett said:

I love text. 
I was hesitant at first but soon realized how nice it is for short conversations. There is a time and place for it and a time and place for a call. 
 Nice thing about a text is you don’t have to answer it right away. If your busy it can wait 5 minutes, half hour or even couple hours. I have had 15 minute conversations take all day because both of us are too busy to talk for 15 minutes 

I can’t say I love text. But does definitely have its uses. Works really well when I need a simple yes or no answer for something. Also use it for verifying dimensions and details on jobs. Really like it for that as I can refer back to it a week or month later when we finally get to putting the job through the shop. Also for quotes for the smaller jobs. Don’t like the 15 minute conversations dragging out all day. After about the second text I will just phone, and hash out any details and be done with it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yellowrosefarm said:

The auto correct can put words in your mouth you didn't intend.

Yeah, I politely ask one of the lady EMT's if she knew anybody who could "sex" the hole in ambulance seat.....should have been sew. I guess the later isn't as popular of a word. 

We all got a good chuckle out of it....

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Binderoid said:

Text is ok... just be sure to check the address before you hit send... don’t want to compose a racy message  for your wife  and accidentally send it to your mom

I'd be more worried about what my wife would do if I sent here a racy message.😄

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Binderoid said:

Text is ok... just be sure to check the address before you hit send... don’t want to compose a racy message  for your wife  and accidentally send it to your mom

It doesn’t happen as often with smart phones, but I’ve sent and received messages from the wrong people before. My milk hauler told me he loved me and couldn’t wait to see me that night. I told him thanks, but he’s not my type!!! 😂

• Haha 7

Myself and my close family use it all the time.

I have some cousins who rarely use it.

I have a friend who is so ornery that he won't even read a text that he receives.

You don't need to be a good keyboard person, I have created almost every word in this post just by swiping the keypad and it requires a lot less accuracy.

Dang can I kick this hornets nest a few more times.😉 I are a college educated, they even gave me a paper to hang on the wall. ☹️ Just never had office wall to hang it on. 😵 But I think you can tell it was not from the English department.🤣

Cal Poly colleges  called by some Cow Poly, or by 1970 California Polytechnic State University San Luis Obispo   had a Agricultural Business Management Major in 1975 that thought every farm kid was going to be programing there own computer in just a few years. So we all had to take a class in "Writing Code" with piles of punch cards. Basically the whole program was 2 + 2 = 4 . But I did it. AND SAID NO MORE COMPUTERS for me.   I farmed and cowboyed just fine with out any electric help.

Then a son became a computer kid. In 2008 he gave me this infernal device, and I been wasting time ever since. 😉 Excuse me I said that wrong I have found the greatest people on earth. My computer kid still, cannot see how any but the geck type that do it today could write code.😵 Well we did not do it well. An I bet none of my classmate went on to program computer for a living ether. 

So we will see if learn a new skill or not. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CIHTECH said:

Yeah, I politely ask one of the lady EMT's if she knew anybody who could "sex" the hole in ambulance seat.....should have been sew. I guess the later isn't as popular of a word. 

We all got a good chuckle out of it....

12 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

And, you don't have to type to text. Just hit that little microphone next to the box and talk. Just be careful to read before you send. The auto correct can put words in your mouth you didn't intend.

Definitely want to proof read it. My brother in law asked me once "if I was going to the gay ride" the day before the church hay ride 👀

• Haha 4