Farm Renovations

zleinenbach

• 1 year later...

Kids look great, you raised some advanced genetic birds there that are texting, dad said they were the dumbest but I'm starting to wonder 🤔

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Kids look great, you raised some advanced genetic birds there that are texting, dad said they were the dumbest but I'm starting to wonder 🤔

one of three turkeys left door to control room open…

• Haha 7

i feel dumb adding this, because I was in a wheelchair during the entirety of it. While I was in the hospital, one thing I did to occupy my mind was figure out a way to winter cattle in the one turkey barn that we had. I wanted to set it up to minimize people needed to do anything, as that is our Achilles heel currently. With the help with several foreign members, got a rough idea grown up and a couple fellas that were off due to weather got it taken care of. I know there’s a lot of things I will have to adjust and tweak, but the cows are up there and still alive after a week.. 

this was a project that I honestly gave up on because I didn’t want to do it without being there and helping. But with the temperament of certain other individuals around here, that was not an option. Even though it has never been an option before, it HAD to be done. That is the topic for other days, and will be titled how to deal with temper tantrums of a father-in-law. The pictures aren’t real spectacular, it’s not really that exciting, just keep in mind it was a building that really didn’t have much other use besides, something like this.

The one thing I am proud of about it, is that most all stuff is reusable. 

in no pressure areas, used closely spaced rebar and - or feed tubes.

again, building is 40x700 w/20 head of cattle.

72790039007__3ACE4C11-B724-44BF-8E8D-443B44B76D33.jpeg

Resized_20240118_161111_1705612288914.jpeg

Resized_20240118_161121_1705612288293.jpeg

Resized_20231226_174307_1703630637473.jpeg

IMG_8184.jpeg

IMG_1082.jpeg

Resized_20231226_174241_1703630629688.jpeg

Resized_20231226_174224_1703630628928.jpeg

Attachment.jpeg

Attachment.jpeg

Attachment.jpeg

Attachment.jpeg

Attachment.jpeg

Attachment.jpeg

Attachment.jpeg

IMG_8087.jpeg

IMG_8086.jpeg

IMG_8065.png

• Like 11

So turkeys going in some barn(s) and cattle in the other?

How long does it take to finish turkeys?

5 minutes ago, hardtail said:

So turkeys going in some barn(s) and cattle in the other?

How long does it take to finish turkeys?

we get them about five weeks old I believe. They go to the processor at around 20 weeks I believe.

When we get them they’re 4 r 5 pounds maybe, and when they leave, they’re closer to 45.

Cows ended up in a barn that would have otherwise been torn down because it was too old to be renovated.

this is the first calf from Luke’s 4H heifer.

IMG_8776.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

On 2/11/2024 at 3:17 PM, Cool1566 said:

It is definitely good to see you posting about this project again Zach! 
How are you doing these days? Hopefully you are doing great. 

still slow going. working on walking and strength building. A lot has changed since I’ve come home for sure, not nearly as worried about permanent deficits as I was before. Just a matter of strengthening through the weakness, which test all facets of patience

• Like 14

7 hours ago, zleinenbach said:

still slow going. working on walking and strength building. A lot has changed since I’ve come home for sure, not nearly as worried about permanent deficits as I was before. Just a matter of strengthening through the weakness, which test all facets of patience

Glad to see ypu back on here and that things are slowly but in forward gear for you. 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

eclipse day brought getting a project knocked out. ran a 6” tile on north end to hopefully drain that side.

since i’m not able to help this year Luke is showing sheep instead of cattle on 4-H. he made the pen in old brooder house and took door off for light/air

clean(er) control room

semi trailer gone!!

filling in between buildings is working great!

IMG_9953.jpeg

IMG_9935.jpeg

IMG_9936.jpeg

IMG_0920.jpeg

IMG_9810.jpeg

73319139969__504C469A-90A2-4D79-84D1-9819D0C8E2B2.jpeg

IMG_7447.jpeg

IMG_9197.jpeg

IMG_8835.jpeg

IMG_8833.jpeg

• Like 12

Looks like a nice piece of property with the ravine running past, great views, get the water to drain there and I see deer are coming up to check things out

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

IMG_5595.png

oh that i dunno about.. i think it’s a 943? or 953? i’m not really sure

the tree company burying wood chips there, that’s theirs.

those wood chips, by the way, will burn underground . for a long time lol