Loading skid steer tires?

vtfireman85

Skid steers are always a little twitchy, I live on the side of a mountain, so i am rarely working on flat ground. When trying to work uphill half the time i am fighting to keep the front wheels on the ground. I am contemplating some cast weights on the very front, i have some 100# plate weights. Also wondering about loaded tires. Any experience or suggestions? 

Foam fill them, adds a good bit of weight , solves flat issues at the same time 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bitty said:

Foam fill them, adds a good bit of weight , solves flat issues at the same time 

I would rather fill them with lead. 

• Haha 1

I have the 12x16.5s foam filled on mine and I can attest that they are heavy.  Too heavy to install without a jack to raise/lower the machine to line up. But, I have zero worries about flats in the rock pile/woodlot behind my house.  Or, for your hillside work, not having to worry about popping a bead on the downhill side.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I would rather fill them with lead. 

I can’t tell if you are sarcastic or not. Is filling with lead still a “thing” somewhere? I haven’t heard of it in a very long time. There used to be a somewhat local place that filled tires with powdered lead decades ago. I remember stories of mostly 5010 and 5020 John Deere tractors weighted to ridiculous levels this way. They would also fill plow frames with the same powdered lead for very tough conditions for plowing gumbo in the river bottoms. 

The pneumatic tires are the suspension so when it does raise and hit it hits HARD. Case makes a stock weld in kit for skids with the axle mount beat out.

My 1700 Mustang has no brakes by design, it was an option the OG owner passed on, so I feel your pain. I run very good tires properly inflated, no leakers so I rarely get a flat.

Getting better at running the sticks is the trick and practice is just plain fun.

I made cast lead wheel weights for the SS 12 out of bunt cake pans

they wedged into the rim real well and are still in place after 10 years

as for the skid steer they make clamp on weights that fit between the hub and drive housing on the axle

Mike

3 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I can’t tell if you are sarcastic or not. Is filling with lead still a “thing” somewhere? I haven’t heard of it in a very long time. There used to be a somewhat local place that filled tires with powdered lead decades ago. I remember stories of mostly 5010 and 5020 John Deere tractors weighted to ridiculous levels this way. They would also fill plow frames with the same powdered lead for very tough conditions for plowing gumbo in the river bottoms. 

All the log skidders used to run powdered lead in their tires around here.

• Like 1

I bet powdered lead would be fun when it gets a little moisture in it😱

Its a real bear switching implements sometimes gets exciting too when they are on a little hill. It either needs weight or wheelie bars. 

13 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I bet powdered lead would be fun when it gets a little moisture in it😱

Its a real bear switching implements sometimes gets exciting too when they are on a little hill. It either needs weight or wheelie bars. 

What? You don't like doing the blue sky dance? 🙈

If it was me I'd foam fill them it suck on soft ground but most tired machines already do, I found that Deere
and bobcat (don't know about others) have a creep or snail feature that will take the jerky twitching out of it while still running full throttle, you can adjust the percentage you want going to the wheels and still run wide open to power a hydraulic motor like on a ditch witch, angle broom or stump grinder 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, nomorejohndeere said:

could just back up hill........

I will try that, everything i do from now on I will do in reverse, I wonder if i could turn the loader arms around too🤔