And we survived!

sandhiller

reminds me of the drill for a bomb blast

hide under your desk,, ,don't look out at the bright lite :rolleyes:

Mike

• Haha 4

Ya those days may be on the way again.....but they will probably cancel school this time around.....🤔

34 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

We had a natural gas shortage back in the late 70's one winter they had the heat set low in the school you had to wear a jacket 

But we were still there everyday 

• Sad 1

Sad time in history 

• Like 1

then there is the school closing for 2'' of snow

heck here we get 4-6'' just going shopping for food in an hour

Mike

• Like 1

I was in high school from 59 to 63, the biggest issue I remember was that the kids who wore blue jeans were not allowed to turn their cuffs because that was considered gang activity, same with peroxide hair bleaching.  In bad weather we always went to school because the schools had good heating. Yep I was in HS during the Cuban Missile fiasco, our schools decided to carry on as usual.  My kid went to JH in 1988 in Napa Ca, (located on San Francisco bay) their biggest issue was bad kids who fed alcaselza or the mentoes candy to the sea gulls.

1 hour ago, oleman said:

I was in high school from 59 to 63, the biggest issue I remember was that the kids who wore blue jeans were not allowed to turn their cuffs because that was considered gang activity, same with peroxide hair bleaching.  In bad weather we always went to school because the schools had good heating. Yep I was in HS during the Cuban Missile fiasco, our schools decided to carry on as usual.  My kid went to JH in 1988 in Napa Ca, (located on San Francisco bay) their biggest issue was bad kids who fed alcaselza or the mentoes candy to the sea gulls.

Ya had to watch how ya dressed when going to school, up here there wasnt a code for the full uniform, I think my mother had the bigger problem but let it ride, it was fun though, full niagra or jelly roll with a ducktail, white T shirt with shaved sleeve demin jacket and a red or black james dean harrington jacket, blue jeans rolled with the black leather belt and engineer boots, and the smokes, ya had to have the smokes.

The high school I went to was built in 1918 I think, two story brick building and a basement with an oil burner for making steam heat. In the winter if you had class on the west side of the second floor you took your coat, if you had class in the basement you wore short sleeves and came out sweating.  We wouldn't get school called off unless you couldn't see out the windows for the snow. The old building has since been torn down and replaced with a new one that has good heat and AIR CONDITIONING and school gets canceled with the chance of 2 inches of snow. 

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, sandhiller said:

CF9BEA35-CD28-472B-B9EE-64B3414C286F.thumb.jpeg.72e4e47fde84300759de5927727ffc24.jpeg

I remember having tornado drills in school in New York !??  Why not, it got us out of class for a few minutes, but we don’t even have a warning system in place so only way to know was to look out the window at the right time. I think we get one tornado in our county every 10-15 years, but we still had the drills couple times a year

• Like 1

On 10/9/2022 at 12:28 AM, sandhiller said:

CF9BEA35-CD28-472B-B9EE-64B3414C286F.thumb.jpeg.72e4e47fde84300759de5927727ffc24.jpeg

Would that have been part of the Grand Island or Red River outbreaks? I think those were at the end of the '80s.

Mike

1 minute ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

Would that have been part of the Grand Island or Red River outbreaks? I think those were at the end of the '80s.

Mike

June 3 1980, hope to never see another weather event like it. 

https://www.weather.gov/gid/53032

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

June 3 1980, hope to never see another weather event like it. 

https://www.weather.gov/gid/53032

That's one of the outbreaks that I read up on in my younger years. It has the distinction of having had three anticyclonic tornados. The tornado that hit on the north side of West Bend, Wi. in '81 was anticyclonic & was rated an F4, now EF4. Those tornados have always interested me & after much research, neither were created the same way. The ones in Nebraska were the usual offspring of rapidly dying cyclonic cells kicking up the new, CCW rotating storms & the one that hit West Bend was a mutant.... to put it all simply.

Thanks for posting the link!

Mike

• Like 3