Fuel priming on 574

cabbageman

I just changed the 2 fuel filters on our 574 and now it will only run for about 30 seconds. I’ve taken the supply line to the filters and blown it backwards and have good flow to the filters. The Manuel says to loosen the bleeder on the second filter until the air is gone but I don’t get any fuel to come out. Fuel tank is full and I cracked open a line on one injector, but not much fuel there. I left the fuel run when I changed the filters and # 1 filled right up but it didn’t flow into # 2 real quick. It shows full but not any flow out the bleeder. Any ideas to get the air out much appreciated. Thanks

They bleed much easier with the tank being half full or more also sometimes I pressurize the fuel tank with air slightly to force fuel to the filters

• Like 1

I changed a set of those for a neighbor once.  They just flow one filter into the next right? So it should be straight forward. I’d add fuel to the tank like he said. 

or does it go filter 1, over to the  pump with the lever on it, then back to filter 2 and then put to the main pump body? 

He says the fuel tank is full so that should not be an issue. Are these spin on filters or the canister glass bowl style? My H84 are spin on but I did help a friend one time that had the canister style. Do not remember now exactly what he had done but some way or another he got one on in such away that it actually block the fuel flow through the filter. So you might take them back apart and double check. Seems like it takes a few minutes for mine to bleed out the second filter so you might just walk away for a few minutes to come back to fuel on the ground.

Hi, what brand of filters did you install?
Some owners have had problems with the NAPA Gold filters and the O-ring that goes on the outer rim blocking the fuel flow.
See photo below of a CAV filter with holes in the top and NAPA with solid top and fuel has to flow around the outer rim.
Are you aware of the START position on the STOP/START/RUN lever, very often on the older tractors the decal beside the lever is worn off.
There are two different Bosch pumps that can be on a 574 a model VA-BR that is recognized with the injector ports on the back of the pump coming off at an angle.
The Cold start or start after any fuel line work is, STOP/START/RUN lever to START and throttle at low idle.  
The model VA-CR that is recognized with the injector ports on the back are straight out.
The Cold start or start after any fuel line work is, STOP/START/RUN lever to START and throttle at high idle.  
See photo below for the positions of the fuel control lever controlled by the STOP/START/RUN lever, red line is Stop, blue line is Start with lever just touching the end of the extended plunger, Run is all the way forward touching the adjustment screw.

As other posts have said, loosen bleed screw on primary filter and let fuel flow until air bubble free, close screw and repeat on secondary filter,
Put STOP/START/RUN lever in Start position and throttle to either low or high idle depending on pump model BR or CR and attempt to start engine.
CAUTION DO NOT CRANK the starter too long or it will overheat and burn out, let the starter cool between attempts.
On the D-239 engine that is in the 574 we usually have to loosen two injector lines at the rear of the pump and crank until fuel dripples out and then tighten and it should start.

Fuel Filter CAV-NAPA Gold.jpg

STOP-Cold Start-RUN Bosch Pump.JPG

If there's top bleeder screws they should bleed out make sure your tank shut off is open too you'd be suprised how many forget to turn that back open 

Thanks for the info. The filters are Wix and are solid on top like the pictured Napa filter. I was careful installing them but that square  shaped O Ring seems like it would block the fuel flow no matter how it gets installed. It only fits one it way. I now have fuel coming out the bleeder screw ( there is only 1 on the second filter ). It isn’t flowing, just moist after leaving the it open for 2 hours. I never shut the fuel off so I wouldn’t have a problem with air. It filled the first filter right up but I didn’t have much flow to the second filter. It must be  a problem with the filter. Thanks again for all the ideas. 

Those IH Doncaster tractors with the fuel tank between the fenders are notorious for collecting junk in the bottom of the fuel tank restricting fuel flow out the shut off valve in the bottom right tank. I always take the fuel line from the tank off on top of the primary filter and let it drain into a clean bucket. If it does not flow at the full of the line then there is a restriction. Short term fix is loosen fuel tank cap and blow back in line with air gun, long term is remove shut off valve out of the bottom of tank, let some fuel drain out, clean out the shut off valve and blow air through shut off valve and line to primary filter. The cross over line between the left and right sides of the tank can also get clogged but the symptom is the tractor will act like it is running out of fuel but there is half tank of fuel or more looking through the filler hole.

To assist with priming the pump you can use a clean rag and air gun to slightly pressurize the fuel tank through the filler hole.

• Like 2

I've never seen an actual problem with the solid top napa/wix filters, but I have seen people put one of the exra seal rings in that groove on top of the element, no idea why. The seal goes in the filter base groove where the element seals. Kind of a pain to see working upside down. There's usually an oring on the center post to keep dirty and clean sides of filter separated. Post a pic of the top of your filter with seal installed. 

Jim is dead tight when he says those saddle tanks get full of muck!  Every 574-674 we had gave tank problems. Usually after cleaning them out they often leak due to rust putting in the bottom. We bought a couple recently. Steam cleaned tanks and lined them with POR15. Works great. Although the last one we bought would not get fuel to second filter. Boss had bought a box of cheap filters and a few of them would not let any fuel through. I cut one open and the filter media was completely covered in a resin like substance. Dealer replaced them but some of this cheap stuff is more trouble than it’s worth. 

• Like 1

Just letting all of you IH tractor advisors know what I did to get fuel flowing. I took both filters off to start over and found that the o ring that goes into the housing had indeed blocked the Wix filter flow. Carefully installed the first filter, turned on fuel and had good flow. Put second on and then got good flow out the bleeder. Just had to crack open the supply line going into the injection pump to let air out and she started. I thought I was being careful the first time but that’s the way it goes sometimes. Thanks again for all the ideas. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cabbageman said:

Just letting all of you IH tractor advisors know what I did to get fuel flowing. I took both filters off to start over and found that the o ring that goes into the housing had indeed blocked the Wix filter flow. Carefully installed the first filter, turned on fuel and had good flow. Put second on and then got good flow out the bleeder. Just had to crack open the supply line going into the injection pump to let air out and she started. I thought I was being careful the first time but that’s the way it goes sometimes. Thanks again for all the ideas. 

Practice makes perfect they say

Years ago i purchased a new NewHolland1118 windrower witht those kind of filters and a catalouge called PDQ Parts had screw on adapters so you could put spin on filters on in the place of those 99 piece filters. Never a moments trouble after switching to them.