IH semi Clutch issue, question

ole 815

Adjusted my Clutch,  it needed it, free play gone and tranny brake wasn't workin good. Typical .

Here's the issue, adjusted the ring on pressure plate so I had my 1/2" clearance on tranny brake to throw out bearing.  Everything was good again free play and brake worked again like it should. Tried it few times in shop.

Going to jump in drive out of shop.....lost all the freeplay. It's worse now than before I adjusted it. The lock bolt was popped out like it should be to hold ring adjustment.   

Going to adjust it again but heck,  is that the sign I'm done adjusting...... 

Pic shows what it is now after it suddenly went out of adjustment.

You can see all the clearance again between tranny brake and throwout brg face, and bearing is back up against pressure plate.

20221008_142323.jpg

8 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

Maybe this post is better off in he IH truck forum ? 

Prolly right, thanks,  I never scroll down that far forgot bout that

2 hours ago, ole 815 said:

Prolly right, thanks,  I never scroll down that far forgot bout that

Don’t worry about wrong forum. We are here to help as the government says. I have had the same thing twice on new cheap pressure plates. The proper way to adjust is like you did. They make a u bolt like tool on a handle to stick up there and give you your 1/2 inch back clearance. Some trucks want 5/8 , some want 1/2, some are 7/16 but 1/2 will work. I think what happens on you pressure plate is back part on screw breaks letting it spin itself in when running. You can pull the bolts out and take the adjuster out make sure it isn’t broken. Both the ones I experienced were from my potato guys they readjusted them a couple times and then they stayed put. They actually bought the parts from a discount place and brought them to me. The easy adjust are a lot nicer than the old prybar method but they stayed put with the lock.

26 minutes ago, nate said:

Bearing is suppose to be near pressure plate.  It pulls toward trans to release. I don’t see a difinitive clutch brake there?…. You had pedal down when adjusting correct?

It's dirty,  but there  there is a tranny brake disk on input.

Yep , I know clutch down to adjust. 

It's jus weird I had it all adjusted. And fir some reason it unadjusted itself.  Throw out bearing ended up right up next to pressure plate.

When it's adjusted, 1/2" gap on tranny brake, there is also a gap between the back side if bearing housing a pressure plate.

I adjusted it again, it took a lot of adjusting to get it back to where it is correct.  It's set right now and it is working. We'll see after I run truck a few trips if it stays set.

4 minutes ago, ole 815 said:

It's dirty,  but there  there is a tranny brake disk on input.

Yep , I know clutch down to adjust. 

It's jus weird I had it all adjusted. And fir some reason it unadjusted itself.  Throw out bearing ended up right up next to pressure plate.

When it's adjusted, 1/2" gap on tranny brake, there is also a gap between the back side if bearing housing a pressure plate.

I adjusted it again, it took a lot of adjusting to get it back to where it is correct.  It's set right now and it is working. We'll see after I run truck a few trips if it stays set.

There is supposed to be a gap on pressure plate side also. Here are pics of the new bolts you might need. Eaton manual also and picture of tools every truck mechanic should have. I always checked by eye or a 1/2 bolt to just make sure.

CE968EC6-DE31-4679-95BD-EED892723EB3.png

08287BB0-2C26-45BD-A8B9-1F26AA00789D.png

3F4C2AE1-24E8-4326-8B24-FBB3B8466C74.png

66BBECD0-D5C4-466D-A718-D51D496AA81E.png

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dale560 said:

You can pull the bolts out and take the adjuster out make sure it isn’t broken. 

I had adjuster out the first time,  I cleaned it up so it would move easier.....lol maybe she jus moved and let it unadjust itself. 

I know for sure it was popped out in correct position when I got done adjusting.  Jus baffling,  don't have time or want to do clutcht job.

20221007_093134.jpg

Didn't even make it out if yard with semi. Heard a clunk noise. Went to push on clutch and pedal was tight to the top.

The adjusting ring must be jumping threads....

Edit. Yep. Truck shop says yep not uncommon.

Used to really irritate me, I could drive my semi-tractor a couple 100,000 miles, slide tandems on trailers, sliding my 5th wheel was actually harder, and maybe needed Mr. GOODWRENCH adjust the clutch every year or two. Dispatch would twist my arm, make me let some rookie driver make a run from Davenport, IA to Chicago and next morning I'd have NO free play in the pedal.  

Road-Rangers I only used the clutch when starting out from a stop or changing directions, every gear shift between the 10 forward gears was with my left foot flat on the floor. Trucks I drove the most had 6-speed Spicers, they shifted fine floating between gears too.

FLoating gears is an art.   Ive driven all kinds of manuals....some were so easy to float.  Others.... The one that confuses me the most:  We had 2 Ford F600's, Very similar trucks, both had 4x2 transmission/rear end setups, both had 391 engines.   The one, never ground a gear.   The other - just forget it, use the clutch.   And I drove those 2 for years and never could get the one to float.

Probably the hardest to do was to go back and forth between semis - had 2 nearly identical Semi tractors....one had a Super 10, the other a normal 10 speed.   Jump out of one into the other during harvest.....ALWAYS screwed up the shifts

On 10/11/2022 at 7:02 PM, jass1660 said:

Auto adjusting clutches only work if you use the clutch...

Yes but pushing clutch in to start out and stopping is enough. Never liked auto adjuster, if the ring is stuck on a manual adjuster, the auto adjuster was stuck long before that. That was my experience anyway.

2 hours ago, nate said:

Good idea putting the two piece clutch brake in right away. When I do clutches at work the new one piece brakes get thrown in the junk.   

Exactly,  I wonder who burnt up their shirt sleeves and for arms and forehead replacing the original with the one that was in it when I got the truck...lol

Pic of one that I jus replaced.

20221014_145606.jpg

Makin sure clutch works 💪...she's a full load

Didn't realize how noisy the old clutch was.  

Quiet now when you push pedal, and truck is quieter sitn idling while dumping corn 

20221015_172040.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ole 815 said:

Makin sure clutch works 💪...she's a full load

Didn't realize how noisy the old clutch was.  

Quiet now when you push pedal, and truck is quieter sitn idling while dumping corn 

20221015_172040.jpg

Nice truck and trailer. Could you get a little more on? Been doing the same with truck and soybeans.  Filled to the brim.