Crawler Front Idler Oil Seals

just Dave

I am putting bearings in a  IH 150B loader the oil seals are not available of course so I was wondering if anyone has clever solutions THAT HAVE WORKED for them. I have to machine the seal bore on one side of the idler , so I cam make it to fit.  I found CR oil seals , but them alone wont last a day in the dirt. I can switch to grease but prefer gear lube?

I had always considered making a dust shield to protect the seal but given the severe environment not sure of success?

• Like 1

...find some small ''dura-cones '', Dave..they will do the trick....:)

.....some one who has the knowledge...and the work shop facilities that you have...should be able to ''make'' them....after all....they are basically a very simple but very effective seal........you just need a bit of 4041 stainless  a some serious   big, rubber ''o' rings  behind  each  steel  mateing  surface....all fitted neatly into   the bearing housing of your front idler ''yoke''  arms.....thats it  !!!

Mike

• Thanks 1

I have looked around a bit today for some Bellville washers like the track chain uses, that might be similar to a dura-cone. I will make some calls Monday when industry is open. The OG seal picture in my book looks like opposing cones. I'm guessing one fixed to the axle and one rotates with the idler like a typ. mechanical seal.

Thanks all

5 hours ago, just Dave said:

I can switch to grease but prefer gear lube?

The JD Corn head grease is a low viscosity grease so it is between gear lube and regular grease  

A lot of peeps use it when the seals are bad in gear boxes 

https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Special-Purpose-Corn-Head-Gun-Grease-AN102562.html

21 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

The JD Corn head grease is a low viscosity grease so it is between gear lube and regular grease  

A lot of peeps use it when the seals are bad in gear boxes 

https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Special-Purpose-Corn-Head-Gun-Grease-AN102562.html

About 10 years ago I got a new gear box seal from Deere for our little 608 mower, their service manager told me that every gear box they had worked on for years left their shop with corn head grease.  I keep the gear box topped off with the stuff, runs  quiet, cool and does not leak. I believe that the corn head grease helps increase the life of the seal even when it gets bailing twine wrapped around the spindle.

On 10/9/2022 at 5:48 AM, mike newman said:

...find some small ''dura-cones '', Dave..they will do the trick....:)

.....some one who has the knowledge...and the work shop facilities that you have...should be able to ''make'' them....after all....they are basically a very simple but very effective seal........you just need a bit of 4041 stainless  a some serious   big, rubber ''o' rings  behind  each  steel  mateing  surface....all fitted neatly into   the bearing housing of your front idler ''yoke''  arms.....thats it  !!!

Mike

Mike

The ones used in track rollers might be around the right size.  I have bought them for FA 10 carrier rollers

I am still waiting for material to make the seal from. Heavy wall 1'' 5''od CDS tubing. There doesn't seem to be much stock around Kansas City anymore. Steel houses here are shadow of the past, I guess due to offshore manufacturing.  The gland size is 4 7/8 OD shaft is 2 1/2 if that rings a bell with anyone on ready made.

I like the design of these seals, getting the size I need is unobtainable it seems. I can get some solid stock, it is a lot more machining but it will work so I will likely go that way.

Thanks for the input.

7 hours ago, just Dave said:

I like the design of these seals, getting the size I need is unobtainable it seems. I can get some solid stock, it is a lot more machining but it will work so I will likely go that way.

Thanks for the input.

There might be other places that have them.  They're in all the rollers, idlers and sprocket seals on a FA 10 and I guess all the others in that line.  Maybe a track place like Berco as the access you have to parts for them is obviously a lot worse than ours - for reasons I don't understand.

I just checked a FA 10 bottom roller shaft and that seal would be about 55 mm internal diameter

They're pretty tough.  I got a piece of fencing wire caught in one on a final drive on our dozer.  I was able to work it out with a sheet metal finger and the seal took up again OK

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I picked up a chunk of old shaft from a machine shop I worked at in the early 90s, still friends, he didn't want any money for the piece. It has a grease hole in the middle and 1 cross hole a few inches in but I can work around it. I never did locate any tubing in the area and no local yard interested in bringing a shot piece in for my petty needs. I did get quotes on solid stock ranging from around $100 up to $790 for 1 foot of 5" round solid.wawawawhat. All factory seals I found would require modification on at least 1 dia. and would add a couple hundred bucks to the project along with material cost and machine time so......I will post some pictures when I cut my homemades.

Take a look at this…SKF METAL FACE SEALS.  Part number 25096 shows 2.5” shaft size.  Click on the part number for machining dimensions.  
Also there is a “where to buy online” button.  Several distributors are shown for the KC MO area.

https://www.skf.com/us/products/industrial-seals/power-transmission-seals/metal-face-seals

These would be equivalent to the DuoCone seal that Cat uses in their undercarriage.

Brian

Edited by E160BHM
Additional information added.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finished assembly of the idler last eve. I hope to get it hung on the rails today and buckle up the track chain. The drawing to the left has the general arrangement of the seal when in the gland. The stationery's are pressed on the axle shoulder and the nut respectively.  The rotating is pressed and welded to the core tube of the idler. there is a slip-ring against the rotatory and the o-ring is stationary in the gland and rides against a polished surface on the stationary. I put a few thousandths horizontal squeeze on the o-ring before welding the rotating. The o-ring gland diametrically is .250" and a1/4" o-ring measures .275" cross section.

4140 slug.jpg

borring.jpg

make tube.jpg

trepaning.jpg

cut off.jpg

whats left.jpg

assy.jpg

squeeze.jpg

TIG.jpg

• Like 5

My book claims the front idler is lubed for life so it did not give a quantity of oil to put in but it did say on the lube chart SAE30. While on it's side I poured it 7/8 full sealed the plug and stood the idler  up....24 hours and no leaks.

• Like 1