This week

Lazy WP

I took a load of 12-0-0-26 out to Palisade Colorado. If anyone gets Colorado peaches, that is the area. I had about 2 miles of TIGHT orchard roads to deal with. 
Then headed to Texline Texas for a load of fertilizer to come back to Hastings Nebraska with. US 50 is torn up and had to wait an hour for the pilot car.   
I am pretty much a flat lander, but went over 3 major mountain passes and survived it. Heading to Iowa here in a few for 1 more load before calling it a week. 

71F7315B-967D-45B8-B25E-5459509A71FC.jpeg

E29AAEAE-FA71-4029-BD1C-1C3B3ACCCF55.jpeg

66FA4A43-D526-41D1-9BFB-743097A6243D.jpeg

1B499029-2091-4273-9D7C-0FCD84E7F872.jpeg

1A5F45C7-B99C-4C17-8815-A49504BEA43E.jpeg

F120865C-8B43-4D66-91AC-879923F60249.jpeg

1A201833-1784-4A50-A85C-254797B80FFB.jpeg

• Like 6

Did you take Hwy. 50 all the way across CO?  It's been many years since I've been through there but I love the Gunnison area.

You hear so much about Georgia peaches I thought they were just a Southeastern thing.  When in TX this summer I saw a big peach growing area, now I learn they grow them in CO too.

Growing up my Mother always bought Colorado peaches from the MeToo grocery store.  This was in Marion, Iowa.  Now that I live in south Alabama, I grow my own peaches or get them from Chilton county, Alabama.  I have been to and eaten Peach county, Georgia peaches.  I prefer the Chilton county peaches if I don't have my own.  I grown yellow and white peaches.  This year was bumper crop year for my peach trees.  The first picture is my yellow, Early Alberta tree.  The second is my white, Georgia Belle.  You rarely see white peaches commercially because they bruise easily and do not ship well.  They do however, have a different texture and flavor my wife and I love.

Bill

Yellow_peach_001.jpg

White_peach_001.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IH Forever said:

Did you take Hwy. 50 all the way across CO?  It's been many years since I've been through there but I love the Gunnison area.

You hear so much about Georgia peaches I thought they were just a Southeastern thing.  When in TX this summer I saw a big peach growing area, now I learn they grow them in CO too.

Took 50 most of the way. Headed south to Westcliff and Walsenburg. There was fresh snow on the top of Monarch pass   
I tend to believe that Colorado peaches might be larger than the others?  Ones we got this year weren’t quite ripe. 
Interesting talking with the farmers. They were fighting deer tearing up the orchard but said bear do more damage? 
They are in the process of harvesting grapes. Lots of migrant workers. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

If anyone gets Colorado peaches, that is the area.

Or wine.

When in TX this summer I saw a big peach growing area, 

That would most likely be down around Fredricksburg, in the Texas Hill Country.

Blue Bell always makes a run of peach ice cream during the summer.

1 hour ago, Art From Coleman said:

That would most likely be down around Fredricksburg, in the Texas Hill Country.

Blue Bell always makes a run of peach ice cream during the summer.

I believe it was South of Dallas that I saw signs, then to the West I assume.  I ate a fair amount of Blue Bell ice cream while in Galveston, no peach, but it was delicious.

Mother-in-law is from Texas. She swears Parker County (Texas) Peaches are the best in the world. In our travels, we have tried peaches from all over, and we have yet to find any area that only raises bad peaches. They are all good, just some are better than others.

• Like 1