Leaving the combine outside during harvest.

JDpartsman

My first year owning a combine I have some fields 10 plus miles from home and the combine is sitting outside up there waiting a few days for the other beans to get fit. Now they have some rain in the forecast a 20% chance for less than a tenth. Debating what to do if I should bring it home or leave it sit out. It is somewhat against my nature to leave the combine sit out especially if rain is coming but my wife's family has always left their machines out during harvest. I guess what are you guys doing in this type of situation during harvest time. 

I put em in when near a barn, but never worried when they were not.  Also if in corn and snow was coming i want the grain tank full, i prefer corn in the bottom of the tank instead of snow

Ours are always outside but if it rains between combining I just make sure all the elevator and hopper doors are open

I put ours in every night when I’m close to home. It sits out when it’s further away. If there’s a whole bunch of rain coming I’ll bring it home and put it in. A 1/10” wouldn’t qualify as enough in my mind. 

• Like 1

Ours always get put in, but we are only 3 miles away from buildings.

Anytime left outside, be sure to check for critters. At least five machines within 15 miles have needed radiator, fan, shroud, coolers, etc because of raccoon crawling in there. Buddys machine was only sitting for 3 hours, took a week to get parts and get back running, bill was well north of $5k.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

If you can tarp the grain tank that would be a benefit. I have the same learning curve as this is our first year owning a combine in close to 30 years 

• Like 1

I know this won’t affect you on this rain but years ago on a late harvest year we had freezing rain followed by snow and then prolonged freezing temps. The grain tank  and auger bed augers got water in them and turned to ice. That combine was froze up and a bear to thaw. We put a space heater in the back on seives  and used hot water pressure washer in the grain tank to thaw augers as we had no heated place to put it in. I would drive it ten miles if something like that was coming! Otherwise I wouldn’t worry much about it. Just clean grain out around sump in grain tank so it doesn’t stay wet and rot that area out.

Maybe a cheap blue tarp and two cheap bungee cord assortment is a possible solution park it in sun , keeping it warm so some dew doesn’t settle into elevators . Well my thought 

1 hour ago, tractorholic said:

I know this won’t affect you on this rain but years ago on a late harvest year we had freezing rain followed by snow and then prolonged freezing temps. The grain tank  and auger bed augers got water in them and turned to ice. That combine was froze up and a bear to thaw. We put a space heater in the back on seives  and used hot water pressure washer in the grain tank to thaw augers as we had no heated place to put it in. I would drive it ten miles if something like that was coming! Otherwise I wouldn’t worry much about it. Just clean grain out around sump in grain tank so it doesn’t stay wet and rot that area out.

Thats why i fill mine with corn

2 hours ago, bitty said:

If you can tarp the grain tank that would be a benefit. I have the same learning curve as this is our first year owning a combine in close to 30 years 

Agreed 

A number of years back I found a company that makes a tarp kit specifically for combine grain tanks. Has fold down tarp bows and everything. Nice thing about this setup is that the water rolls off instead of polling in the low spots.

Here is a picture of the setup on our 2377 in November 2019 after 8 inches of snow.

20191114_172855.jpg

• Like 2

We normally don't need to deal with snow during harvest.  But around here almost everyone leaves them out during harvest, just can justify the time driving them home every night.  Opening up the clean grain elevator if you are expecting rain is a good idea.

2 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Agreed 

A number of years back I found a company that makes a tarp kit specifically for combine grain tanks. Has fold down tarp bows and everything. Nice thing about this setup is that the water rolls off instead of polling in the low spots.

Here is a picture of the setup on our 2377 in November 2019 after 8 inches of snow.

20191114_172855.jpg

In a pinch you can make something like that out of PVC pipes that a notched to fit the edge of the tank.  Most here stay outside during most of the harvest because our fields are spread over 30 miles.

Leave the tank full to support the tarp and tarp it? Could go a layer of plastic drop cloth in between if worried about moisture bleed thru tarp?

• Like 2

I wouldn’t leave grain in it whether it’s tarped or not. Most just don’t seal up that tight and water will get in somewhere. Open the traps on the grain tank and unlock the elevator door and don’t worry about it. Winter time requires different strategies. 

• Like 2

We are fortunate that we have adjoining farms, so the only time ours sits out overnight is due to breakdowns.  In the case of the 1460, a final drive and a transmission issue.  Even after the engine fire last season, it went in the shed that night. However,  we did unhook the batteries to prevent fire from the damaged electrical wiring.

In all my years, I have seen LESS than the number of fingers on ONE hand,, and perhaps have one or two left over, of Massey Ferguson combines parked under any kind of shelter, except that provided by a tree.

This leads me to conclude that either M-F combines are built extremely tough, OR, that if one is parked under a roof, the warranty is voided.

The best I have ever seen, and I cannot remember what make it was, but NOT one of the green or red ones, that was parked (maybe left for dead), in the middle of the field, with the grain tank full, and weeds growing all around it. 

29 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

None of the combines sitting at any dealer is under a roof.  Just saying

Every John Deere dealer here in Iowa has a huge open front shed where all new and used combines are parked under roof. Sometimes 2 big sheds!

• Like 1

Different climates allow more flexibility than others about shedding or not shedding equipment . I live where shelter is important. This year because of our change going from dairy to beef/crops we have left all the equipment outside except for the combine and square baler . The chopper is going in a building soon as we are done with it now that most of the cows are gone . Might be only temporary storage until we get beefers to finish or enough hay out of the shed for the equipment 

1 hour ago, red2thebone sr said:

Seems kinda silly to say, but if you do leave it out and open the elevator doors……….don’t forget to close them!  Easy to forget when it’s not part of your normal routine. 

you had me under surveillance?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

None of the combines sitting at any dealer is under a roof.  Just saying

Actually local dealer built a leanto type roof onto the front of their storage building a few years back. Almost never see a combine there not under the roof, even if its just in for service.