Rule of thumb batwing hp requirements

zleinenbach

7 hours ago, B.B. said:

I mowed the front yard at our new house this year with the 10' and 1566.  Actually did a pretty good job and much faster than my Cub Cadet with 60" deck LoL. I guess you could say it's my riding lawn mower!! 

IMG_6687.jpg

Or we could say you have too big a front yard? 😆

• Haha 1

The 5 foot woods is perfect on the 544 diesel hydro.  The 15 foot land pride works nice behind the 1206.  On the 1486, it will eat anything you can drive over. Never mowed anything over shoulder high with it.

I ran a 15 foot JD behind a JD 2755 for quite a few years at work. It was a good pair, but I definitely wouldn't have wanted any less hp. In heavy grass I would down to 1st gear and that's all it wanted. I did knock down alot of willows and poplars taller than the tractor with it as well, just do it in a couple passes and slow. Now I'm running a M110 kubota with a 15' Schulte. That's about a perfect pair. I've never really ran out of power yet and mow the same type of stuff. We pull our 15' Schulte on the farm with the 1486. Can still tell its there when doing bigger stuff, but it never powers out, just keeps chewing. One thing if you're going to be doing much for trees and shrubs or in rocky ground I wouldn't run without some type of window protection. I've seen too namy smashed windows from flying debris and stones. As far as 1000 vs 540, I've seen no difference. Both can break stuff lol

• Like 1

15 hours ago, midnightman said:

D140DB75-B54E-4187-AD4E-4C9AFEA86DE2.thumb.jpeg.fd5a3ce2cb0368c5c960c4d50572c9eb.jpeg
Just keep them away from your vehicles

My buddies brother said when I walked out the door to go to work and the goat was standing on the hood chewing on my windshield wipers that's when I stepped back into the house grabbed my rifle and solved that problem 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, acem said:

Why are y'all hogging down big grass?

I tend to graze or bale extra grass.

My brushog is for brush, briars, etc.

Thx-Ace 

Cat tails in sloughs and grass after freeze up where it was too wet to cut, overgrown fields that haven't been worked for years, etc. We don't always have the option to graze these areas.

Also I mow ditches and old roads, etc, at work

• Like 1

There’s a 20’ brush hog at a local place that’s priced reasonable.

15’ are much harder to come by, and when you do they are in rougher shape typically around here.

I was wondering if a 20’ would force me to drive slow enough that it wouldn’t make sense to have it, so long as the first cutting got everything back to a manageable level and I kept up on it afterwards.

mainly over grown pastures, but again it’d be an initial cutting and then maintenance afterwards, hoping like ace says and have cows do the brunt of it afterwards.

I’ve owned a 15’ flail shredder for some 15 years now.  It was intended for shredding corn stalks, but a couple years ago I was asked to shred oats cover crop on land going into CRP.  Turns out the oats was but a sidelight, the real cover crop was mostly water hemp that was 5-6’ tall.  I was really happy with how a flail shredder makes all that crap just vanish; the shredded material gets shot down into the stubble rather than left laying on top like it seems a batwing does.  I don’t think it takes the power a bat wing does either as a flail shredder isn’t trying to recut the material that can’t exit the deck fast enough.  There were some saplings taller than the tractor cab and they all went under the shredder too.  I had 145 hp on the shredder and that was plenty of power except for the patch of lodged grass of some kind that was thick as hair on a dog.  That had me dropping gears quick.

1066 will handle either size mower just fine.  I just hated baking up as I mowed in L3 and need to shift to R1 to back up slowly.  Duals will knock a lot of grass down making it harder to get a nice cut or getting close to objects.  5220 may be slightly stretched for horsepower and may run hot if you leave your loader on, but transmission is obviously nicer than the 1066.  5220 probably also has lower clearance at the hitch.  1000RPM pto no matter what.  Have seen way to many broken 540 stub shafts because of the torque generated at a slower rpm.

Tractors I've ran 15' Woods batwings on:  560D with Turbo, 966 with Turbo, 886, 5088 2wd, 5240MFD, 7120 2wd (favorite), MX135, Magnum 315, Magnum 340

17 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

The 5 foot woods is perfect on the 544 diesel hydro.  The 15 foot land pride works nice behind the 1206.  On the 1486, it will eat anything you can drive over. Never mowed anything over shoulder high with it.

I've mowed horseweeds with the 756 and 7' Mohawk 'bush hog' that were taller than the muffler! That makes her talk!