Nebraska Fire

Lazy WP

It's a bad one.

IMG_20221002_165304623.thumb.jpg.f9207ebafb26e0242719f88dcaf7f58f.jpg

Still burning very hot.

IMG_20221002_201859550.thumb.jpg.61f965e1b09326f32c3ffcfcaa485926.jpg

The wind has gone down some and humidity going up.

That will help but a lot of damage as Nick said.

We had bad lightning over my way but no fires thankfully.

Early reports are a campfire started it.

We haven't been called yet but am guessing we will come in to relieve crews as they rotate out.

Everyone please be careful and if you see someone doing something unsafe, tell them.

We are in a very dry situation going into fall and winter.

Fires like this can be prevented.

IMG_20221002_201859550.thumb.jpg.61f965e1b09326f32c3ffcfcaa485926.jpg

• Sad 2

45 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

What is burning to make the fire so tall? The fires I've seen around here rarely get above the crown of the trees. I can see why you want to be prepared.

Quite a few cedars and ponderosa pine there. There are places where it is forested pretty thick.

Here is what it looks like not on fire. We really enjoyed riding there and was hoping to go back someday.

FB_IMG_1664796106020.jpg.a41d919fef7aca7afd6d7b515f7ffc54.jpg

FB_IMG_1664796120222.jpg.21acadba26572b2144da166c0eb80fcf.jpg

FB_IMG_1664796153673.jpg.ebd6a4c25a692357836045290b4d0aad.jpg

FB_IMG_1664796137428.jpg.3f9868a43fe93b76ae79adcb5b7e6c27.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, yellowrosefarm said:

What is burning to make the fire so tall? The fires I've seen around here rarely get above the crown of the trees. I can see why you want to be prepared.

At one time, this was the world’s largest hand planted forrest. Pine trees close to 60 feet tall. One picture I saw was of the tree nursery. They start trees to send all over the US. 

Back when I was a kid, it was our own paradise. No one had discovered it yet. A couple years ago we went through there and it was like driving through Omaha. 

Heard a bit ago that there were 2 deaths? 
Buddy of mine said that they had a little shower and he thought most of the stuff on private land was out or at least had black all around it. He had some bales still burning. A bit like salt in an open wound. Already short of feed. The grass that he saved for winter gone as well as a good share of his hay, gone. All that so someone could go ride their side by side. 
Sorry a bit of a low blow, but 2 lives lost and the livelihood of numerous others at stake? 

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

They lost a firefighter also. RIP Mike 😢

Mike and me were same age.

Sobering.

I talked to Pastor Ben.

He hadn't heard of a second death yet but information is sometimes slow to come out.

51 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

IMG_20221003_145225.thumb.jpg.6095a616f9da7773da10e0d381d0fe83.jpg

Very sobering but an amazing tribute and well written.  My heart goes out to all of those affected. 

Thanks to all the rest of you who volunteer and help with things like this. And.....please be careful out there. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, highcotton said:

What happened to him Sandhiller? We start our annual physicals with the EOC next week. None of my business really, and inconsequential, I was just curious. 

Heart attack. He was 150 pounds overweight but he still out lived his Dad by 5 years. I have heard different stories but no official word, other than by the time they got the chopper there he was gone. 
I don’t think there was ever a need in the community that Mike didn’t try to help with. 
Pretty scary. He was either 3 or 8 months older than I. We spent a lot of time together growing up. Will definitely be missed. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, highcotton said:

What happened to him Sandhiller? We start our annual physicals with the EOC next week. None of my business really, and inconsequential, I was just curious. 

Not inconsequential at all.

Very pertinent in fact.

Like Nick said, heart attack.

Getting fast help to someone in a situation like this can be difficult at best.

The smoke added to rough terrain (that may be on fire) can be very disorienting and hard to navigate.

Also,

The makeup of Volunteer depts can be very different than paid depts.

We don't have a large number of highly qualified young people waiting to join our dept.

We are neighbors helping neighbors.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

16 hours ago, WishIhada1466 said:

Quite a few cedars and ponderosa pine there. There are places where it is forested pretty thick.

And it is so dry they literally explode in a ball of flame when they ignite.

I have pictures of that moment but they just don't do it justice.

When trees are thick enough with enough wind the fire will run above the trees.

It gets kinda scary.

On 10/3/2022 at 4:53 PM, sandhiller said:

IMG_20221003_145225.thumb.jpg.6095a616f9da7773da10e0d381d0fe83.jpg

When any one of us thinks our day went crappy, this is the type of thing we need to realize our good fortune on a crappy day. 

My condolences to the family and friends for thier loss.

And a sincere thank you to the all of the firemen and thier families for their sacrifice on every call. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still have the fair/rodeo grounds full of trucks, equipment, supplies and firefighters. 

A lot of them sleeping in tents, I think they are not used to being this close to civilization while at work. 

My hat is off to them that do this for a living, hard job. 

Crews continue to make progress containing the Bovee Fire in the Nebraska Sandhills. More than 220 people from several states are helping put out the flames. The fire has burned about 19,000 acres and is 94 percent contained as of Thursday morning. The Rocky Mountain Complex Incident Management Team 1 said crews will work on containing the remaining six percent on Thursday and they were able to release their night crew. All evacuation orders have been lifted and Highway 2 is open, although watch for smoke along with increased traffic including large vehicles aiding in the fire effort. A firefighter died while actively fighting the Bovee Fire on Sunday. The Purdum Volunteer Fire Department Assistant Fire Chief Mike Moody suffered a medical emergency and died, according to the Region 26 Council. He was 59-years-old.