5488 serial number

mrfred54

Believe there is someone that keeps track of serial #'s.  Just did a little work on two of them. # 908,  and the next one did not have a tag but where the tag was suppose to be, etched in the casting is 4450, it looks like. This tractor has inline injection pump and front wheel assist. Number 908 is two wheel drive, 6190 hours.  Number 4450 has 5900 hours.

44 minutes ago, mrfred54 said:

Believe there is someone that keeps track of serial #'s.  Just did a little work on two of them. # 908,  and the next one did not have a tag but where the tag was suppose to be, etched in the casting is 4450, it looks like. This tractor has inline injection pump and  front wheel assist. Number 908 is two wheel drive, 6190 hours.  Number 4450 has 5900 hours.

4450 is really high number close to the end I believe .... 

1 hour ago, mrfred54 said:

Believe there is someone that keeps track of serial #'s.  Just did a little work on two of them. # 908,  and the next one did not have a tag but where the tag was suppose to be, etched in the casting is 4450, it looks like. This tractor has inline injection pump and front wheel assist. Number 908 is two wheel drive, 6190 hours.  Number 4450 has 5900 hours.

36 minutes ago, bitty said:

4450 is really high number close to the end I believe .... 

Well according to the post a few days ago about the second to last 5488 (4451) that was for sale which is 2wd, 4450 is the third to last 5488 built. Supposedly the serial number tags were switched on 4450 and 4452 (the last 5488) from what was being said. Some said that 4450 has FWA like what was said so that is neat that one has been found.👍 

This is at least how I interpret the info. We should have some experts like @Bermuda_Ken chime in. 

• Like 3

Where are you located with 4450? 

19 minutes ago, IHhogfarmer said:

Well according to the post a few days ago about the second to last 5488 (4451) that was for sale which is 2wd, 4450 is the third to last 5488 built. Supposedly the serial number tags were switched on 4450 and 4452 (the last 5488) from what was being said. Some said that 4450 has FWA like what was said so that is neat that one has been found.👍 

This is at least how I interpret the info. We should have some experts like @Bermuda_Ken chime in. 

I am still having a hard time believing that story, but more and more info keeps coming out

12 minutes ago, IHC5488 said:

I am still having a hard time believing that story, but more and more info keeps coming out

Well I am too. I was fortunate to see the last 5488 at the National FFA Convention that was in the Case IH booth back in 2017. The thread kinda confused me but neat that another one of the last was found. 

Central Michigan is my location. Customer just bought this tractor bout 2 months ago from a jockey dealer in ohio. It does have a decal from ( hard to make it out) violet equipment from Indiana I believe. Like I said in the first post, serial tag is missing, but the two little holes for the retaining rivets are visible, and between them looks to be 4450 etched in the casting. The guy bought this tractor and didn't even realize the serial tag was missing until I did some work on it and asked him about it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IHC5488 said:

Doesn't suprise me in the least that it could happen after spending 30 plus years in at least 3 different factory settings and seeing the mentality of both some of my fellow workers and management as well.

Central Michigan is my location. Customer just bought this tractor bout 2 months ago from a jockey dealer in ohio. It does have a decal from ( hard to make it out) violet equipment from Indiana I believe. Like I said in the first post, serial tag is missing, but the two little holes for the retaining rivets are visible, and between them looks to be 4450 etched in the casting. The guy bought this tractor and didn't even realize the serial tag was missing until I did some work on it and asked him about it.

Howard Violet in Delphos, Ohio may have some information on it.  Owners manual,  dealer record, or service records,  something with a serial number record of the tractor 

2 hours ago, IHC5488 said:

Howard Violet in Delphos, Ohio may have some information on it.  Owners manual,  dealer record, or service records,  something with a serial number record of the tractor 

That’s interesting the tag is missing but don’t know, that may be common on a tractor that’s 35 or 85 years old?

4 hours ago, dale560 said:

You could kind of verify serial number if it has the original engine yet. It would have to be close engine number to the other surviving tractors. Also the casting codes on all major assemblies should be close to final tractors. 

Good point sir!!! I will try and get some of those numbers if possible. Thanks, as I am also curious now😁

Good point sir!!! I will try and get some of those numbers if possible. Thanks, as I am also curious now😁

Like  I mentioned close number but I wouldn’t say sequential or even ascending or descending order. I would bet if engine was within 5 or ten serial numbers of other 2 you verified it as a last build tractor. That and casting codes off major assemblies.

• Like 1

Just now, dale560 said:

Like  I mentioned close number but I wouldn’t say sequential or even ascending or descending order. I would bet if engine was within 5 or ten serial numbers of other 2 you verified it as a last build tractor. That and casting codes off major assemblies.

Last day or two build I meant, not necessarily last tractor

• Like 1

On 10/2/2022 at 7:47 PM, IHhogfarmer said:

On 10/2/2022 at 7:47 PM, IHhogfarmer said:

Was just using serial number 4450 in my post as an example; as I stated. Tags could have been switched with any 5488 mfwd that was still at the farmall plant. And again if this story is true. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thirsty 806 said:

Was just using serial number 4450 in my post as an example; as I stated. Tags could have been switched with any 5488 mfwd that was still at the farmall plant. And again if this story is true. 

image.thumb.jpeg.7699e1c490004d01f0dc1f583bfce347.jpegHere is a picture of the serial number tag from “the last tractor.”  Was posted on here back in 2018. You be the judge. 

On 10/2/2022 at 6:22 PM, mrfred54 said:

Thanks for the numbers! 908 fits right between 904 which was last seen for sale in IA and 910 which was last seen in AL for sale.

Now, 4450 will be interesting to see what you are able to find out on that tractor. I can't believe the sudden visibility of these late numbers! 4445 is in Canada and 4451 is for sale. 4452, we know where that tractor is. Keep us updated on 4450

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 10:02 AM, IH1466 said:

Thanks for the numbers! 908 fits right between 904 which was last seen for sale in IA and 910 which was last seen in AL for sale.

Now, 4450 will be interesting to see what you are able to find out on that tractor. I can't believe the sudden visibility of these late numbers! 4445 is in Canada and 4451 is for sale. 4452, we know where that tractor is. Keep us updated on 4450

Got a few numbers from this tractor. Casting # 120636C3 on speed transmission, Dana front axle 070BP110-2. Rear end casting 120500C4. Engine Dti468c #453723. Hope this helps. 4450 is scribed in the casting and is very obvious.

3 hours ago, mrfred54 said:

Got a few numbers from this tractor. Casting # 120636C3 on speed transmission, Dana front axle 070BP110-2. Rear end casting 120500C4. Engine Dti468c #453723. Hope this helps. 4450 is scribed in the casting and is very obvious.

Serial number 4445 engine was above 443000 as stated by George2 so that fits. Other numbers are part numbers.

When you say it is etched is it like someone carved it in with a tool or is it imprinted as was struck when serial number was stamped. Is it the whole serial number (2590009u004450) or just 4450.

Does anyone know if the serial number plates were stamped before or after they were put on a tractor?

6 hours ago, Thirsty 806 said:

Serial number 4445 engine was above 443000 as stated by George2 so that fits. Other numbers are part numbers.

When you say it is etched is it like someone carved it in with a tool or is it imprinted as was struck when serial number was stamped. Is it the whole serial number (2590009u004450) or just 4450.

Does anyone know if the serial number plates were stamped before or after they were put on a tractor?

I wonder if they etched it as things were hectic and they were waiting for serial plates because of the buyout? 

IIRC...the serial plates were kept under lock and key so "fake" tractors could not be created. They were attached to the housing as soon as possible (after it passed QC for machining) so that the unit had an ID.  The serial plate was put on before tractor was painted.  The numbers on the serial plates were STAMPED, not etched or engraved with a rotozip.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1