New toy for the upcoming big change

twood1954

13 hours ago, New Englander said:

Kawasaki FD750

I had a Scag Turf Tiger 61 inch it had that same motor as you said for the they are built and the speed of the blades that engine is under powered for them.

9 hours ago, IH Forever said:

But looking at your picture it looks very similar to the deck on my Toro

The decks are not the same on Exmark and Toro. I have both and the Exmark does alot better job of cutting and laying the clippings out then my Toro's.

11 hours ago, Allen Ulmer said:

Did you get that Exmark to pull around your new DSS that will run 400 lbs of boost??

So I can mow the grass at tractor graveyard.  Thinking about building an electric pulling tractor.  That way I can mess with boozers and smokers in one pass.  Do you have a heavy duty drop cord I can borrow?

Edited by twood1954
extra words

13 hours ago, Wes806 said:

The decks are not the same on Exmark and Toro. I have both and the Exmark does alot better job of cutting and laying the clippings out then my Toro's.

Interesting to hear, that is what the Exmark dealer claims as well.  The Toro does fine, but I may need to try an Exmark the next time I trade.  I have a really good Toro and Exmark dealer wthin 5 miles of each other.

On 10/3/2022 at 4:32 PM, Rawleigh99 said:

Those are some expensive looking lawn mower seats!!!

Yeah when I had the Toro the suspension broke and it was covered under warranty. I was glad too because the new one was almost 600 dollars. I can't imagine what my Scag seat would cost si ce it's even more deluxe than the Toro. 

I hope to never see the inside of one. I do like the air up button though. Goes up probably less than an inch, but it feels like three, and moves faster than the one on my pickup.  I move it then just to put my knees at a different angle every usually once a mowing.  I assume these seats are all about the same. It’s mostly Ferris around here in NY. Always here hood about Exmark too. 

On 10/3/2022 at 11:22 AM, tperson said:

@twood1954 - looks great, the Radius-es (Radius's, Radius', Radii?) are great mowers, it'll serve you a long time. I work at Exmark in Beatrice and have just a couple of recommendations: 1)change your engine oil after ~8hrs. The oil we put in there is a good oil, but it's a break-in oil and needs to be changed before 10hrs. 2)change your hydro oil after 75hrs. The difference between a 1000hr hydro and a 350hr hydro is maintenance. I absolutely recommend the Exmark Premium Hydro Oil, it's expensive but a really, really good oil for hydrostats. 3) read your manual, there's a lot of good maintenance stuff in there. 4) when you change your engine oil, TWIST the hose on the nipple on the shroud to loosen it then pull STRAIGHT down. If you don't, it'll break off...we'll fix it under warranty, but it's an unneeded inconvenience. 

@lorenzo - you must be around the Lincoln area if I'm 30 minutes south, we might have to meet sometime for a frosty beverage.

@Ihcubguy and others - there's subtle, yet significant differences between Exmark's and the Toro's, primarily the cutting deck. While they run down neighboring assembly lines, there IS a difference if you know what you're looking for.

@IH Forever - of all the things to worry about in the world, the Examrk 708cc engine would towards the bottom of my list. Overall, they've been rock solid for the quantity that we've produced. If it seems underpowered, might make sure that the throttle cable is properly adjusted. 

thanks for advice.  I picked up oil for first oil change yesterday.  I will change it this weekend after I finish mowing. 

On 10/3/2022 at 11:22 AM, tperson said:

@twood1954 - looks great, the Radius-es (Radius's, Radius', Radii?) are great mowers, it'll serve you a long time. I work at Exmark in Beatrice and have just a couple of recommendations: 1)change your engine oil after ~8hrs. The oil we put in there is a good oil, but it's a break-in oil and needs to be changed before 10hrs. 2)change your hydro oil after 75hrs. The difference between a 1000hr hydro and a 350hr hydro is maintenance. I absolutely recommend the Exmark Premium Hydro Oil, it's expensive but a really, really good oil for hydrostats. 3) read your manual, there's a lot of good maintenance stuff in there. 4) when you change your engine oil, TWIST the hose on the nipple on the shroud to loosen it then pull STRAIGHT down. If you don't, it'll break off...we'll fix it under warranty, but it's an unneeded inconvenience. 

@lorenzo - you must be around the Lincoln area if I'm 30 minutes south, we might have to meet sometime for a frosty beverage.

@Ihcubguy and others - there's subtle, yet significant differences between Exmark's and the Toro's, primarily the cutting deck. While they run down neighboring assembly lines, there IS a difference if you know what you're looking for.

@IH Forever - of all the things to worry about in the world, the Examrk 708cc engine would towards the bottom of my list. Overall, they've been rock solid for the quantity that we've produced. If it seems underpowered, might make sure that the throttle cable is properly adjusted. 

Are all the mowers made in Beatrice now?  I believe Toro has a plant in MN, Windom maybe.  Maybe they make other things there.

• 2 months later...

All of the Exmark riders (Lazer, Radius, and the big wing-deck Diesels) are made here in Beatrice, the residential Quest models are made in the TORO facility in Windom. Of course, we make more than just the Lazer and Radius here and Windom makes more than just the Quest. Windom also makes a bunch of snow equipment and other models for TORO. 

If you're looking for a mower way outside your personal-use budget, take a look at the 144", 43.5Hp turbo Diesel bat wing mower...they're a grass gobbling machine. Might not be for everyone, but I bet you'd be surprised how many landscape companies found a spot for them in their fleet. 

Tom