New toy for the upcoming big change

twood1954

I got a Exmark x series 72 inch cut with 34 horsepower Kawasaki engine close to 3300 hours on it. Still going strong and not burning oil.   have had the best luck with Exmark and Scag mowers since I've been mowing since 1996.

• Like 2

I had a Toro Titan HD I bought new in 2019. Put 330 hours on it and traded it last year end of season on a new Scag Tiger Cat 2. Toro (basically the same as an exmark) was a great mower. Just was not fast enough to get all my jobs done in the time I had to do them. Scag is an awesome mower as well. Even with the dry year and lack of mowing for a month a half this summer I have 94 hours on it for the season already. A picture of the old and the new.

20211015_170152.jpg

20211117_144605.jpg

• Like 1

nice looking unit. 

I’d really like to get a zero turn mower for the farm here and save some hours on our yard tractor. 2 things holding me back though. 1 is the price and second is I can’t seem to keep dad off the grass with the skid steer so it doesn’t stay nice anyways lol.  Looked at some Kubota diesels and wish we’d have bought one 10 years ago when we were looking. Ones with a thousand hours are selling for the same price as what we could’ve had a brand new 31 hp diesel with a 72”. Brand new one now is 20-23,000$.  And that might even be a bit on the light side price wise.  

10 hours ago, Wes806 said:

I got a Exmark x series 72 inch cut with 34 horsepower Kawasaki engine close to 3300 hours on it. Still going strong and not burning oil.   have had the best luck with Exmark and Scag mowers since I've been mowing since 1996.

Scag is really heavily built. I've got a Cougar bought from a landscaper. It was rode hard and the Kawasaki FD750 needed rings and valves. After that top overhaul it started smoking at maybe 200+ hours so it got rings again, which lasted another 200+ hours. The engine was really undersized when bagging as evidenced by the number replaced by the local dealer. I bought a seized one for spare parts. I replaced the engine wit an FD851 fuel injected model and what a difference! It sips gas and the extra HP takes care of the heavy blower load.

The only problem I've had is a failed computer. Here's where I get to brag about my wife: I ordered a new computer and it came in while I was on a Europe trip. My wife called me in Italy and said the we'd had rain, the grass is up to the window sills, how to I change that computer? It seems that I can talk her through fixing lots of things as long as I try to put myself in her place. Anyway, I came home to a nicely trimmed lawn.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

nice looking unit. 

I’d really like to get a zero turn mower for the farm here and save some hours on our yard tractor. 2 things holding me back though. 1 is the price and second is I can’t seem to keep dad off the grass with the skid steer so it doesn’t stay nice anyways lol.  Looked at some Kubota diesels and wish we’d have bought one 10 years ago when we were looking. Ones with a thousand hours are selling for the same price as what we could’ve had a brand new 31 hp diesel with a 72”. Brand new one now is 20-23,000$.  And that might even be a bit on the light side price wise.  

I did the zd221 60” kubota in ‘13…. Replaced a 3225 cub that died on me from wear.  I like the diesel kubota a lot, but a bud that has a Ferris with Kawasaki engine can outrun me easily on speed.  I’m at just under 500hrs, so I’m hoping it’ll last my mowing life.  I did buy another 3225 cub tho.  Gets ran occasionally.  I got a thing about yellow and white paint.  

• Like 1

I have a Toro Titan HD, 2000 series I believe.  As IHCubGuy mentioned the Exmark and Toro are the exact same mower.  Exmark dealer told me that the decks are different, he says the Exmark deck cuts better.  But looking at your picture it looks very similar to the deck on my Toro.  My has the Toro/Exmark engine, if I had to complain that would be my only complaint.  No problems with it, just seems a little under powered.

@twood1954 - looks great, the Radius-es (Radius's, Radius', Radii?) are great mowers, it'll serve you a long time. I work at Exmark in Beatrice and have just a couple of recommendations: 1)change your engine oil after ~8hrs. The oil we put in there is a good oil, but it's a break-in oil and needs to be changed before 10hrs. 2)change your hydro oil after 75hrs. The difference between a 1000hr hydro and a 350hr hydro is maintenance. I absolutely recommend the Exmark Premium Hydro Oil, it's expensive but a really, really good oil for hydrostats. 3) read your manual, there's a lot of good maintenance stuff in there. 4) when you change your engine oil, TWIST the hose on the nipple on the shroud to loosen it then pull STRAIGHT down. If you don't, it'll break off...we'll fix it under warranty, but it's an unneeded inconvenience. 

@lorenzo - you must be around the Lincoln area if I'm 30 minutes south, we might have to meet sometime for a frosty beverage.

@Ihcubguy and others - there's subtle, yet significant differences between Exmark's and the Toro's, primarily the cutting deck. While they run down neighboring assembly lines, there IS a difference if you know what you're looking for.

@IH Forever - of all the things to worry about in the world, the Examrk 708cc engine would towards the bottom of my list. Overall, they've been rock solid for the quantity that we've produced. If it seems underpowered, might make sure that the throttle cable is properly adjusted. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rawleigh99 said:

And you can get your cars buffed at the same time!  LOL

My dad used to say that a bunch of old ewes were the best self propelled lawn mowers there is

• Like 3

11 hours ago, acem said:

I mow my yard with sheep.

I am assuming you are serious.  They do mow good.  No yard for the sheep here except when they escape.  They would be lounging on our porches etc.