removing shingles

pt756

i started to remove the shingles from a 40 foot garage this afternoon, just not quite up to that task anymore, anyway got it done, i am going to be 66 in jan. there should be a warning on those shingle forks pertaining to age maybe, hope this is the last time,  i see why there isnt a lot of older guys doing shingles.

Hard work for sure.  Some forks ard better then others but irregardless a ton of work.  Worst is when there are multiple layers.

Did you find anything written from the guy that shingled it last?

I found a note on the shop roof I did, just name and date. 

When I reshingled the barn roof I left my name and date and something about cattle prices and maybe something else. 

The job was hard on my back more than anything. 

IIRC I rigged up a rope and pulley tied to the roof peak with a big padded cinch for a butt sling. 

I could adjust it as I moved up and down the roof. 

Made it a lot more comfortable and not as worried about sliding off the roof. 

2 hours ago, pt756 said:

i started to remove the shingles from a 40 foot garage this afternoon, just not quite up to that task anymore, anyway got it done, i am going to be 66 in jan. there should be a warning on those shingle forks pertaining to age maybe, hope this is the last time,  i see why there isnt a lot of older guys doing shingles.

My uncle is still doing some roofs and he's 71. Doesn't do it as often as he used to though.

• Like 1

Back when I worked for a building supply company we had a customer that was well into his 70s and was building duplexes by himself to rent out. I think the only thing he hired out was electric work. Anyway he had a real nice system for putting shingles up. We would deliver with a knuckle boom and he built, I guess I’d call it, a stand on the peak of the roof to set a half pallet of shingles on each end of the house. He was very frugal but didn’t hesitate to pay the extra fee to use the boom. It was a real pain in the rear for me to set that pallet up there but I give him credit for getting it done 

• Like 3

Shingles aren’t fun at any age in my opinion. I’ve put on some over the years and it’s not my favorite thing to do. 

• Like 1

When we bought this place the roofs were shot. We had a guy do it who was then in his 60s and carried every bundle up a ladder and nailed by hand. No safety gear used. The price was right. I've done a few roofs but there's no way I was going to climb a 40' ladder to do the barn and the house had too many weaves at dormers.

Thirty years later we had the house done again. A crew of 8 showed up, set up safety rails, stripped it, placed membranes, drip edge, multi nail pairs with a couple of guys cleaning up constantly. It was so well choreographed that while I was siding the barn up in a bucket truck I would just stop and watch from my perch. When they left for the day the only evidence they'd been there was the dumpster. It was expensive but not the most expensive bid but that guy doesn't advertise, word of mouth only keeps him booked out a year. His crew has been with him for years which is unusual.

1 hour ago, New Englander said:

Thirty years later we had the house done again. A crew of 8 showed up, set up safety rails, stripped it, placed membranes, drip edge, multi nail pairs with a couple of guys cleaning up constantly. It was so well choreographed that while I was siding the barn up in a bucket truck I would just stop and watch from my perch. When they left for the day the only evidence they'd been there was the dumpster. It was expensive but not the most expensive bid but that guy doesn't advertise, word of mouth only keeps him booked out a year. His crew has been with him for years which is unusual.

same deal here , crew showed up and stripped off 2 layers of shingles, reshingled the house and put a rubber roof on the garage that has a flat roof all in one day. cleaned up everything into a dumpster which was hauled away the next day. they put down tarps all around the house and i never picked up a nail in the lawnmower tires. 9-12 pitched roof that they walked around on like it was flat ground.

roofers and ridge runners do have 1 leg shorter than the other

so they think its ''flat ground'' :D

Mike

• Haha 4

It's no fun, I have done my moms house twice, her 2 barns.  All stripped.  Also My dad's barn.  This was all in my 20's and early 30's.  My brother in laws brother showed me how to do the cuts correctly and helped me around the chimney and things as he use to run a roofing company years ago.  Now in my 40's I might think twice about a project like that.

On my house last year I did cut in the bathroom vents and patched in the mushroom vents cutting in a 40' ridge vent.  My house the shingles are "stacted"  but it does not leak and well it will be many years before it needs a roof.

It helps if you have the right shape roofing shovel, we borrowed one from the neighbors that was all steel and had a nice arch that kept you from bending over, and gave you great leverage.

Scott

also tried describing the lock shingle to a guy never heard of them, they were real popular for barn roofs back then, now kostky everybody either lets them cave in or puts tin on, once a hole starts it usually doesnt take long to fall in, cant blame anybody, well over 20 k for a small barn.

4 hours ago, Captian Kirk said:

I think there's a cream for shingles,  don't pick them off.

🤣🤣🤣

wow its not an injection?

Mike                                    :lol:

6 hours ago, Takn4aFool said:

all in one day

Actually 3 days for my place but steep with a couple of dormers, a roofed bay window, an attached lean-to garage built sometime after automobiles were invented, and two porches. But same as yours - tarps put up, windows covered anywhere they might be damaged, cleaned as they went, some new chimney flashing installed, a few roof board replaced. An excellent job all around.