Phasing cylinders

ihrondiesel

Looking for some ideas.  I have an Alloway flail shredder (3 section folding model) that has 3 lift cylinders. Without tracing hoses, I’m assuming it’s a phased cylinder setup since there is only a stop on one of the cylinders. My son was running it a couple days ago and one wing wouldn’t go down. The drive belt shredded later so it’s parked for now, but I want it ready to go. Yesterday it wouldn’t raise more than about 1/4 of the distance it should. I lowered it (pressure down), 2 sections went all the way down, the one wing didn’t move.  I cracked open the fitting on that cylinder to bleed oil out, got the cylinder completely retracted. Now the wings will raise and lower evenly but the center section raises about halfway then stops moving.  What’s my next step?  Crack a line on the center cylinder to get it to raise?  I’m afraid if I do that I’ll get more air in the system again.  I’ll welcome comments and ideas.  Thanks

What tractor are you using to run it? Sometimes they have to bypass a valve in the cylinder and it takes higher pressure than just raising does 

That should have enough hydraulic to easily rephase then . Have you tried to hold the hydraulic for a few minutes each way both up and down? Sometimes that does it 

• Like 1

Our Rhino batwing has 3 cylinders that are phasing. Put new hoses on last year and it took a little bit to get them bled correctly 

It’s been years since I fought with them, but it seems like you have to bleed all the air out, by wasting a bunch of oil. Seems like you had to hold the lever forever, then cycle it 5000 times, or something like that. 
I sorta remember we put depth stops on all the cylinders on something that had phasing cylinders, because we couldn’t get it to work again. But again it was YEARS AGO. 

To run cylinders in series. You need cylinders with phasing ports on rod end. Phasing ports just leak oil past piston when cylinder is fully extended. Just raising and holding lever until all cylinders are fully extended should put everything in phase. If any of the rod ends point down. Then air can get trapped in base end of cylinder. If it is the first cylinder. Raising and lowering can flush the air out. In one of the other cylinders it will just move back and forth between cylinders. Rod end down would be a bad design. If one of the cylinders is replaced with one without a phasing port. The whole process is stopped.

• Like 2