Floridians getting ready for the hurricane.

MarkG

51 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

I have family who refuses to leave right in the landfall area in Englewood FL they are only inland a mile 

Ask them pointed questions, like, if we find your bodies, where do you want to be buried?

Casket or cremation?

Maybe they will get the idea?

This is the part of Mother Nature you don't mess with.

• Like 1

My brother lives on a barrier island off st Petersburg FL. He booked a hotel in Palm Beach for a few days. Drove over yesterday. It's very stormy there but nothing like a major hurricane! Thx-Ace 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JaredT said:

Ever see a surfing SUV?ūüėČ

Yes, when I was a Park Ranger at Cape Hatteras. Young guy borrowed his Dad's brand new Jeep Wagoneer (one of last of the full size ones) to go to the beach. He parked on the sand, got out his beach towel, laid down and fell asleep at low tide. When I saw it, an incoming wave laid it over on it's side and the outgoing wave stood it back on the wheels. That SUV was definitely "surfing".

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Neighbor's mom is riding it out down there. She's up there in years and doesn't get around the greatest and doesn't drive really far from home anymore. Husband died in December. So her, and 2 neighbors are riding it out in her house. His mom, a woman who couldn't leave because of a dialysis appointment yesterday ( and you can't miss those if your kidneys are shot) and her daughter. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Ask them pointed questions, like, if we find your bodies, where do you want to be buried?

Casket or cremation?

Maybe they will get the idea?

This is the part of Mother Nature you don't mess with.

Their old all that has been worked out years ago

Been through the evacuations before not doing it they don't care 

Stopped going to the doctors a few years ago  

They are just waiting for the reaper

I guess that's how you get when you are close to the century mark  

Every body hitting the roads and leaving the area is not necessarily the correct idea.  In  the Houston evac a few years ago most of the fatalities  were from automobile wrecks not mother nature.

• Like 1

My brother is evacuated to palm beach Florida from treasure island Florida, near Tampa. The hurricane veered south of the predicted path which saved his place on a barrier island from the brunt of the storm. However he was in tropical storm conditions even on the other side of the pensula.

Below he's trying it impersonate Jim Cantori.

I told him he missed his calling!

-2904772843260265681.jpg

• Like 2

Got a sister that lives in Bradenton   {just south of Tampa} she went to her daughter's place alittle more inland.   Haven;t heard anything from her yet .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lars (midessa) said:

I’ll take the west Texas desert summer heat every trip of the train, over that.

Weather like what Florida is getting  makes me glad I don't live in the South or Southeast.  At least if we have a blizzard or tornado warning they don't tell us to evacuate the area. 

Our oldest son got married 2 weeks ago and went on the honeymoon to Charlotte NC. They are considering moving there to escape the midwest winters. (They live in Fargo now.) This may change their mind. 

My brother lives on the coast. Actually on a barrier island..

If he lived at 10 ft higher elevation he wouldn't have needed to evaluate.

They rarely affect my weather more than a bad cold front going through.

Thx-Ace 

Had some exchange with my family in Englewood via a text from a neighbor 

Cell service is very spotty all the land lines are down and no power   

They made it through ok no one lost a roof in their neighbor hood  

The northern eye wall passed through their area and there were sustained winds of 100+ for a couple of hours

I heard the Puta Gorda Airport recorded a 125 gust 

Most of the mobile home parks are destroyed

The Publix and Walmart had the roofs torn off in sections as did most of the strip malls on 776  

There was flooding in most low areas 1-4 feet near the shore 

Gonna take a while to clean up from this one 

• Like 2

My step daughter lives in Saint Petersburg. They lost power yesterday, had a bit of wine damage to their fence and shed, but other than that made it through it fine. Granddaughter asked when I was coming to fix the fence, wife told her she would be there next week, but I won't be there till thanksgiving, granddaughter replied, "well then grandma, you bring pop's toolbox and fix the fence!

They moved in with the in laws today since they have a whole house generator.

This was the best outcome we could have hoped for with this storm.

• Like 6

I was looking at weather reports on the national weather service website during the day when it made landfall (on the west coast of Florida).

I looked at the weather for Port Charlotte. The automated weather information stated a current east wind of 123mph with gusts to 145mph at the Punta Gorda Airport. I checked again a little while later and current weather from the airport was offline. Im surprised the automated weather station was working with substained winds over 100mph!

Terrible damage around fort Meyers and Port Charlotte. Many lives lost.

It was forecast to hit north of there so there wasn't proper evacuation and preparation.

Thx-Ace 

Here is an aerial photo of Ft Myers Beach 

I am being told the houses made to the new codes made out much better 

Steel rods going from the roof plate to the slab holds the roofs on much better 

Notice the one house on the waterfront is likely newer and it held up and the houses inland from it did too

When the waterfront house starts to rip apart the flying debris from it takes the others out too

image.thumb.png.e6c3d172978c3e1b299f5889d39b08c7.png