Fairbanks Morris Magneto

Mike H

gota 6 volt FB mag that's dead in the water

the owner put a 12 volt battery in the tractor and tried to start it  :rolleyes:

so what could have been damage in the mag?

completely totaled?,, coil?,, points/ condenser?

I was not there wen he did it so don't know how long he tried to start it

Any thoughts

Mike

I hope nothing else got fried

its a Allis Chalmers  C with a 7 or 8 foot sickle bar

it ran wen he brought it home to restore

He put a lot of work into it cleaning it up and painting

its ending up here on the farm in trade for pork

would be great for cutting Hay ,, save me time and back pain switching attachments on the M

Mike

If i can find it i have an IH magneto manual that i got from the ebays , whats it on? Theres a lot covered in it. I shall go dig. 

• Thanks 1

They have points coil and condenser just like a distributor.  I agree unless he tried to hook the ground wire to the pos side of the battery I can't see how it could have damaged itself. 

• Thanks 1

probably crusty/oxidized points, or bad ground or maybe some rusty magnets etc.........clean it all up and then retest or if you want to just take the cap off grab hold of it and rotate the magnet that will tell you if its good 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

probably crusty/oxidized points, or bad ground or maybe some rusty magnets etc.........clean it all up and then retest or if you want to just take the cap off grab hold of it and rotate the magnet that will tell you if its good 

kinda like grabbing the electric fence to see if its on

Mike

Every gas tractor I have owned has been 6 volt originally and I start them on 12. Fairbanks were notorious for moisture tracking in the cap. Dad always used a Fairbanks mag on the SC Case that he had on an irrigation well. If it rained any amount, the tractor would shut down. 

welp got to the farm [long day, ,elderly help:rolleyes:]but ya cant be rude to the guy ,,just make sure their no accidents.

mag is throwing spark [I used my tester LOL] so tomorrow is un loading day [all down hill from there]

ill post pics soon as she is un chained and on the ground [got chains and straps every were]

Mike

thank you every body that posted