Corn Chopping

ChrisNY

2 hours ago, ChrisNY said:

Here is another neighbor about a mile south of me. Smaller operation that milks about 800. This was shot about 2 weeks ago. 

I threw up in my mouth when I saw all that color stuff ..... 😁

I watched a Claas chopper and pair of semi trucks open up a field this morning, as I was unloading. Light dried out corn, but it was still reasonably green. I was surprised to see that they were able to fill the back of the trailer, but he also blasted the windshield as they made the corner. Pretty interesting. 
We used to unload combines on the go with semi’s out in Colorado. Once you get used to it, it is easier than stopped. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChrisNY said:

Yes, a little shrink from dumping, blowing off trucks going down the road and chopper misses is just the cost of doing business when dealing with large volumes.

There are pretty much 2 schools of thought in this area, and really across the state, either have trucks setup with floaters to be able to go in wetter conditions or use dump carts and keep trucks on the road. 

Only a few run floaters on trucks in this area. Too expensive to wear out for road travel especially in winter hauling cured feed, help tends to tear stuff up with extra traction, flat spot them etc. But most of the trucks in this area are not meant to run in the fields as there just aren't enough fields that are practical to run them in. Gets old running a truck that takes 50 rows to turn around in a field that's only 48 rows wide. Gain 10 minutes on the road in a day and lose 20 min at the blower or worse yet a bagger and in the field, along with not being able to see well or be handy to open up and throw off the rythym of cycle times with the rest of the tractors.  Longer hauls we will use them and if we need them to run two crews we'll use them but there is little very handy about them in the field. I've spent a fair amount of time in a silage truck but am usually ready to get back to a cart. But a tractor and cart isn't a cheap investment either. 

• Like 1