Small grain bin installation

rrr4quality

So I bought this bin awhile back and need to get it upright and cleaned out. I have thought of trying to make brackets to bolt to the top and try to lift it upright with the loader but it will test the lift height of the loader. Also considering taking it apart at the top half and rebuilding it standing up. Any ideas or cautionary advice?

085856AC-4126-447F-B73A-141B82194B2A.thumb.jpeg.9cf706cd192ac2cc0b284a731c7f6dd2.jpeg2935C311-D40E-4676-B6DA-E62C41A5FE3F.thumb.jpeg.fffb94592cfde3a590796bc9f987ce2d.jpeg0E4762B6-083B-4F8F-905C-2E07DD39AC38.thumb.jpeg.fad1b246d5cdc1e9320711e3bfd87ef9.jpegDAFB780D-5BD1-466D-A4CE-06705FB4BEA4.thumb.jpeg.6cf6ee708c74f5fb2f8ae37985d00f2d.jpeg

Telehandler on the top end, loader on the bottom. If you just lift the top and try to tip it up, the legs will likely bend. We took out some bolts and bolted angle irons to a bigger bin than that, put holes in the angle iron to put a clevis on and hooked up with chains and lifted. We bolted the angle irons to the top ring just below the roof. 

Good thing is they aren't real heavy.  I'm afraid with 4 rings it has some height. Here farmer boy ag would come stand that up and bolt it down for $75 or so.  I would call your local bin dealer and ask.  We had them move a bin for us 2 different times.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, lots of ideas! 

37 minutes ago, JaredT said:

Telehandler on the top end, loader on the bottom. If you just lift the top and try to tip it up, the legs will likely bend. We took out some bolts and bolted angle irons to a bigger bin than that, put holes in the angle iron to put a clevis on and hooked up with chains and lifted. We bolted the angle irons to the top ring just below the roof. 

I was thinking about making some brackets also, I don’t want to destroy it anymore than it is.

Doesn’t sound like anyone recommends tearing it apart.

I stood up one last fall, think it was 30' or more. I took the bobcat with the brush hog on it and used it to lift the one end as high as I dared. Then with a long cable wrapped around the top ring I used dad's 77 oliver to stand it up.  Just put it in gear and rode the starter. When it was close to over centering I again used the bobcat with the bucket and "caught" the legs that were still in the air. I then used the bobcat to set it the rest of the way down. 

I took a few pics but they were lost on the old phone, probably for the better.....

• Like 1

Know anyone with a crane truck? That's how we put up augers on our new to us dryer and pulled the top section up.

Belongs to a neighbor.  Not much but it works.

20220719_130033.jpg

20220721_083635.jpg

D9504F4A-5544-4302-A384-C31371CF3C22.jpeg.9c657fddf0a173a75a9e8542a1f9bdd8.jpeg

helped my brother lay this one down and load it on trailer at the farm he bought it from.  Put the bucket against the bin near the bottom of the top ring and ratchet strap around the bin. Slowly backed up while lowering the loader. Set it on a heavy sawhorse to get bucket out from underneath. He built a steel skid for it last week and stood it back up by himself using th same procedure in reverse. Once it was standing up he just moved it into place by picking up the skid with the bale forks. Just used his 1486. 

Before I had a crane truck I tipped one up. Used a front end loader to pick it up from the bottom side. When the loader was all the way up I pushed with the loader until it was up. Somehow I got it on the bolts in the process! I had several people helping.

They are commonly put up and down with a trailer that tilts to set them up. Basically a long dump trailer.

Thinking about it you might be able to set it up with a long flatbed dump.

Thx-Ace 

There are YouTube videos of guys standing up windmills they might give you some ideas but I agree you might want to cross brace those legs

9 hours ago, acem said:

They are commonly put up and down with a trailer that tilts to set them up. Basically a long dump trailer.

Sounds like a good idea, I bought a dump trailer a couple weeks ago. I could try to prop up the top of the grain bin while laying flat, strap it in and try to get it standing as straight as possible when the trailer is fully dumped.

Thanks for all the replies!

9 hours ago, rrr4quality said:
18 hours ago, acem said:

Sounds like a good idea, I bought a dump trailer a couple weeks ago. I could try to prop up the top of the grain bin while laying flat, strap it in and try to get it standing as straight as possible when the trailer is fully dumped.

Put a couple of loops on the top, hook a chain between them, and then one hanging down from the mid point of them 

If the dump trailer doesn't get it upright enough you can pull it the rest of the way with the loader via the chain 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 8:16 PM, acem said:

Like this

20220926_124632.thumb.jpg.bbf63378b3085c454ffec26f34ef07f2.jpg

Snapchat-391094815.thumb.jpg.159c598ef9e7add205c7e03d54dd8c00.jpg

just got done hauling more bins home. Works slick on a bin mover. 

Sometimes we lift bins with a long pipe or pole on the loader. I got a backhoe arm on the skid steer and we chained a pipe to it. Found a old 620 packer wheel and it fit just nice inside the lid and was able to lift and carry the bins around the yard. Should be able to rig something up pretty easily if you have a decent tractor with a loader. That's a pretty light bin you have to deal with so shouldn't take too much 

• Thanks 1