1420 eaton hydrostatic drive motor

I have a 1420 combine. The hydraulic reservoir was nearly empty, but there was no evidence of substantial leak on the ground. I then discovered the transmission was absolutely full of fluid. I drained 3 gallons from the fill port on the side of the transmission. It seems hydraulic fluid may be leaking from the hydrostatic motor, through the drive shaft housing and into the transmission. Is this possible? How difficult are the seals to replace on the drive motor? Any special tools required?

The machine drives strong. The motor does not give indication of being worn. It has about 2600 hours. I would like to replace just the seals if possible without getting into the the other parts of the motor and without specialized tools. Screenshot_20220925-191927.thumb.png.da4e5aeab925aa0c5fc056140eda2ceb.pngIt's the item 1 assembly in the picture. 

11 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

Not uncommon.  For the last 3 years I had to drain the trans on my 1480 through out the season. One year it filled the trans while sitting over winter,  next year it didn't.  Seamed to be worse when I was on the road alot.

Thanks for that info. So I guess you didn't ever do anything about it? Just kept running it. . .?

It’s been a while since I’ve replaced one of them seals, there is a special tool to remove and install seal. The seal has two steel sealing surfaces that run together to seal so going back together you have to be very careful not to touch them with your fingers, keep them clean and don’t get rough with them.

That seal in similar to the one on the input shaft on the pump they are a two piece ring a special tool is nice But i have put them in with other means and had no problem too get the housing very clean and shaft too use clean oil on the O-Rings and it will slip right in with out any problem then install snap ring