DRONES----

Delta Dirt

I am 79 yrs "too old"----lots of serious health problems are keeping me stalled out.  Have always been an active/outdoor type person-----spent a lifetime of farming and brokering/appraising farmland here in the Mississippi Delta area.

Am limited to sitting on my butt nowadays.  Idle time seems to be my worst enemy-----I definitely need to find me a "somewhat effortless" means of keeping my mind occupied.  

Would some of you boys with drone experience chip in some information and comments that might help educate an old codger on where to start looking.  Would definitely want a decent camera for viewing farm and hunting land----but need to keep it as simple and economical as possible.

Just thinking hobby type application------Doubt that I will ever get back active in my farmland real estate practice and not in a rush to buy.  This thread will be a good starting point for "keeping my mind occupied" for awhile.

Don't laugh too hard if I ask some really dumb questions!!!:D

Start from ground level-----I have no experience with a drones but lots of photography experience.

Discuss models-----range capability----price range-----ease of operation, do's and don'ts, etc.....

Come in Loadstar???

Thanks in advance

DD

20181006_173239.thumb.jpg.f21acc3410602fc0713e33a96246ccad.jpg

Hi Anson. I'm actually on my second drone. First one was the Autel. Not a bad drone but they quit making batteries for it which was the end of my experience with Autel. The DJI Mavic Air 2 is even better being smaller and easier to carry. 

Camera quality is just amazing. Video detail is so sharp. I used it to count the hay bales on a 40 acre patch this summer. 

One big don't! Do not fly it into the wall of your house and have it fall in a pail of water. I think I have done some permanent damage to it. Have not had a chance to get into diagnosing. 

Seems to me mine were in the neighbourhood of $1400 with a carry case and few accessories. I've done several videos on my youtube channel flying mine. I shot this video back in August while the neighbour was swathing oats near my yard. 

• Like 1

Here in lake county we big into nursery and vineyards . They are using drones for inspections, and they  have a monster I’ll call it to do spray. I don’t have pictures of it from field day was too big a crowd around it. 

I've never owned or operated one but have been looking.  DJI seems to be the big dog in the pen. I heard about them at the rice field day at Stuttgart, in depth news about fighting in Ukraine, etc.

At the rice field day they demonstrated a budget model for under a grand that was good for surveying crops for weeds, disease, etc.

I want one that can spray my rice. Ideally it would fly the field. Find weeds and apply herbicide just on the weeds. They aren't there yet.

Thx-Ace 

Dji is a very good drone, relatively easy to fly, will return to home if you lose signal, just a few fall back settings you can Taylor to your environment and surroundings, I lost mine once, it was returning to home when I tried taking control of it, hit a tree, my fault. I should have trusted it's technology.  Using my phone, I did finally find it in a snow bank, a few broken parts, replaced, and back in the air. I enjoy mine, takes great video and pics. One time I was at the front of our 80 acres, two sons sitting in their truck at the back, "hunting", I flew over, saw them, dropped that puppy right in front of the windshield of the truck, hoovered, looked at them, and flew away. They knew they were busted 😂😂

Mark

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, td9inidaho said:

Dji is a very good drone, relatively easy to fly, will return to home if you lose signal, just a few fall back settings you can Taylor to your environment and surroundings, I lost mine once, it was returning to home when I tried taking control of it, hit a tree, my fault. I should have trusted it's technology.  Using my phone, I did finally find it in a snow bank, a few broken parts, replaced, and back in the air. I enjoy mine, takes great video and pics. One time I was at the front of our 80 acres, two sons sitting in their truck at the back, "hunting", I flew over, saw them, dropped that puppy right in front of the windshield of the truck, hoovered, looked at them, and flew away. They knew they were busted 😂😂

Mark

Can't get away with nuthn anymore! 

• Sad 1

Anybody have any experience with EXO Ranger Plus???

1/2 mile range-----obstacle avoidance----$350range----advertised as good for beginners????

Gotta take into consideration we are reading from the internet here-----where everybody is sworn to the truth.  Uhhhh-----It's very comforting to know that all RedPower members have been sworn to the truth by Sallie and Farmall Fan!!!!:ph34r::blink:

One thing for sure------you can pay as much as you want to (going all the way up to Elon Musk and his satellites if needed)!!!!

attn:  Loadstar

Don't forget to post us up a video of listening to the dual glasspacks on the way to the elevator in the mighty Loadstar!!!:D

DD

Educate yourself to all the rules too. I've had a near miss with one operating way above 400'.

Here are the rules: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjT25HZoLH6AhWsKkQIHRUHBJIQFnoECAIQAw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nifc.gov%2Fdrones%2Fblm%2FFAA%20Part%20107%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1_Nu3DGubgt0dBOzr9B4aJ

I have a remote pilot certificate simply because I wanted one and being a pilot the test required no study. Some day I may buy one😁

Edited by New Englander
Typo