Another big cat

sandhiller

IMG_20220924_221652.thumb.jpg.06820a6263296765fabf0956c3eacaf8.jpg

Youngest son sent me this pic.

On his neighbors trail cam a couple miles north of son's headquarters.

Game wardens came out and talked to him.

Said he is an old cat, collared and they have tracked his range from Cody on the east to Rushville on the west. About 70 miles.

So I am in his range.

I did have a two month old fall calf disappear, have found no sign of him yet.

I have no proof it was this cat, blamed it on coyotes but now has me wondering.

One day I was out, the cows were running and really unsettled.

Anyway,this is the biggest cat I have seen to date on the Niobrara.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Are you allowed to dispatch one as a keeper of livestock? 

In South Dakota you can if he is bothering the livestock.

PS: An older lady shot one out of a tree in the Black Hills with a .22 a few years ago.

One shot, one kill!

They never persecuted her so I would guess a standard has been set in South Dakota.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Unless Nebraska has changed, you can’t kill a mountain lion for any reason. 
We were talking with the gal who got the Elk I posted earlier, and she told us that there’s 3 breeding age female Lions, that are tagged, on the river between the bridge south of Merriman and Valentine. I think an Omaha state rep, got the hunting season stopped on them. 
I have pictures of young males from trail cams, since 2009. 
I rode close enough to get a decent look at one in 2013. Everyone will tell you a horse can smell them. Mine didn’t react any differently than normal. 
Maybe Jeff can get it caught and turn it loose in north Omaha. 

• Haha 3

Does look to be an older cat ,slowing down ,needs  to get easy slow prey  that doesn’t put up much of a fight. Check the tree line fence often I’d say . Or drone it to be a pest ,move it off 

That has to be awful concerning for a cattleman, as if you don't have enough other challenges. We have a member here that farms and is tucked up against the eastern slopes of the Rocky mountains that started losing a few head  a few years back and would find Coyotes, I suggested it could be a cat causing your problems and the Coyotes are just cleaning up the scraps. Recall an old Outdoor Life condensed story of a couple of cats in the US that developed a taste for select organs, the number of cattle they killed before they were exterminated was staggering 

2 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Maybe Jeff can get it caught and turn it loose in north Omaha

Take him for a “bus” ride to where people want him. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I was told once about coyotes that if they are harassing livestock they are fair game but you’d better shoot it in the same area as the cows or at least make it look like that’s where you shot it. If there is a collar involved better get rid of it. I always figure if I happen to find anything with a collar I’ll take for a nice 15 min ride and chuck it in the lake.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Here in Nebraska it is legal to kill a mountain lion if it is in the process or stalking, killing, or eating livestock on the ranch owned or controlled by the shooter at which time the game and parks must be notified and they will take possession of the animal.  They will then conduct an investigation to confirm that it was in fact a depredation kill instead of a violation of the protected/endangered species act.

18 minutes ago, nc1112 said:

Here in Nebraska it is legal to kill a mountain lion if it is in the process or stalking, killing, or eating livestock on the ranch owned or controlled by the shooter at which time the game and parks must be notified and they will take possession of the animal.  They will then conduct an investigation to confirm that it was in fact a depredation kill instead of a violation of the protected/endangered species act.

In other words you can’t shoot them. I have been involved in 1 of these investigations and don’t care to be in another!! 
If you shoot one that has a collar on it, toss the collar on a cow wagon headed any direction other then local!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here in VA the Dept of Conservation doesn't recognize the existence of any Mountain Lions in the state. So, I don't see how they could do anything to someone who shoots one. I had 3 calves disappear last spring and I'm not convinced it wasn't a big cat. There have been numerous "unproven" sightings all around this area.

• Like 2

they claimed none of those have been in these parts for ages, older friend told me once too many honest people have claimed to have seen them, a few years later they killed one not far from where he was saying he'd seen tracks, after that happen fish and game changed their tune on the subject. A lady about a quarter mile down the road had a couple African lions, they let out a roar it make your hair stand up on the back of your neck it was funny I couldn't hear them at my place but you could hear them several miles in other directions, same friend had a farm leased to deer hunt he got it the woods fail asleep and when it broke day lay the lions started he said he woke up to that and about crapped down both legs, he just knew they where coming to get him another friend and his wife where hunting 5 10 miles as a crow flies and it scared her she asked him what is that he said it's them damn lions over by Daniels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lazy WP said:

In other words you can’t shoot them. I have been involved in 1 of these investigations and don’t care to be in another!! 
If you shoot one that has a collar on it, toss the collar on a cow wagon headed any direction other then local!!

Same thing happened with a guy shot a Grizzly in self defense, he felt the crushing weight of the law trying to defend himself, it was probably easier dealing with the bear

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Lazy WP said:

Pretty much the case unless you happen to be law enforcement.  I can only imagine how that investigation went. I had one c.o. tell me to my face that there weren't any lions in the state despite the trail cam footage.  Not long after that one was shot on the playground in St Paul and several more hit by cars near Omaha. Most co's are pretty good folks but there are a few that have caused me to lose a fair amount of respect for the agency.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nc1112 said:

Pretty much the case unless you happen to be law enforcement.  I can only imagine how that investigation went. I had one c.o. tell me to my face that there weren't any lions in the state despite the trail cam footage.  Not long after that one was shot on the playground in St Paul and several more hit by cars near Omaha. Most co's are pretty good folks but there are a few that have caused me to lose a fair amount of respect for the agency.

My sister dated the game warden at Valentine, 100 years ago. If I wouldn’t have known Frank, and a couple other people high up in Game and Parks, it would not have been pretty. 

• Like 1

I deal with a few alphabet agencies in my businesses.

I manage to stay on the right side of em.

I jump through their hoops.

Even though when certain administrations are in charge, the hoops get smaller and higher off the ground.

The FWS expects me feed "their" deer elk and antelope with my grass.  The more wildlife on the place, the less cows I can run.

Money directly out of my pocket.

I don't complain about that.

But, feeding "their" cats and wolves with my calves and colts is asking a bit much don't you think?

Ernie should never have been allowed to craft legislation affecting western Nebraska.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, New Englander said:

We get smaller cats. Here's one walking by the pool helpfully reducing the groundhog population:

image.thumb.png.06681e28fa9418081d68ace9d291ef4c.png

I assume that’s a bobcat? I’d welcome them if they killed groundhogs, they are destructive critters.

56 minutes ago, 756puller said:

You got wolves out that way sandhiller?

From time to time, yes.

They seem to find out climate inhospitable 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

I deal with a few alphabet agencies in my businesses.

I manage to stay on the right side of em.

I jump through their hoops.

Even though when certain administrations are in charge, the hoops get smaller and higher off the ground.

The FWS expects me feed "their" deer elk and antelope with my grass.  The more wildlife on the place, the less cows I can run.

Money directly out of my pocket.

I don't complain about that.

But, feeding "their" cats and wolves with my calves and colts is asking a bit much don't you think?

Ernie should never have been allowed to craft legislation affecting western Nebraska.

A longhorn guy down the road from me recently told me he hates deer.  He said they don't pay rent and don't contribute anything to his operation.  Although we like to hunt them he is pretty spot on.  We have seen up to  30 deer munching on crops at one time at our place.  I can't imagine elk.  That would be like a whole nother herd of beef cows.

2 hours ago, IH Forever said:

I assume that’s a bobcat? I’d welcome them if they killed groundhogs, they are destructive critters.

Exactly. They're tough on the rabbits too but always leave enough for the next generation. Last summer we had a female with two kittens keeping us company. That may have been the same girl or perhaps one of her kittens.

I think they got lots of the groundhogs as I haven't seen as many as usual. I took a long shot at one in the spring but aimed about a half inch too high. They're a very destructive rodent.