Dump finds!

Twolines

So there is a dump tranfer site a few miles away from us...i get bored or need to take out the trash, i always do some pickin. Scored a hilift brand jack that was barely used a couple months ago. Today i found this! Took it home and with a little work, got it to fire and run a few seconds. Its not sucking gas into the line so ill have to get deeper into it.20220924_175909.thumb.jpg.3931347b0c521425a7483a19ff9c4296.jpg20220924_175922.thumb.jpg.a8c044e6d950d9c90f545d4bdf0a835c.jpg20220924_175938.thumb.jpg.44fe4845ffc52defb3d043349a179f2c.jpg

• Like 10

Anyone else a junk picker? Lol

• Like 2

I think so, it says o and r engine on it somewhere. 

Other recent finds..20220924_202802.thumb.jpg.95151aac3dfb0299a308b3996d0f6a68.jpg20220924_202211.thumb.jpg.250889017b7190865b674d56c756905c.jpg

Just the shovel and hilift.

Arizonian, ive wondered about this myself. We're not too far from a military base and i suspect a lot of stuff gets tossed when moving out of state. Another thing ive encountered is someone dies and family from the lower comes up, has a garage sale and the left over gets hauled away. 3 yrs ago a lady down our road lost her husband and after a garage sale she gave me the rest of the lot. I think the guy was a plumber or handy man.. ive got boxes of plumbing parts and fixtures...bunch of electrical stuff too. She wouldnt take my money, just had to be gone that day. 2 pickup loads.

That shovel has a small crack but nothing 60 seconds of mig couldnt fix. The hilift was gummed up so bad the pins wouldnt pop, some brake clean and a little spray lube fixed that.

The list goes on, all the crap ive hauled home...most has been put to use, some has been hauled right back to the dump. Lol 

Sandhiller, i can think of 100 uses for this. Not sure id buy one so this will be kind of a test. Lol we'll see if i can get it running. There was water in the cylinder but i did clear it out and get it to run briefly. I wonder about getting carb parts for it. 

• Like 1

I think getting used things to work and possibly use them For other than intended purposes will be a life saving attribute. 
I know I am guilty of throwing away perfectly good things. Trying to find balance between thirty and ingenuity and being a hoarder lol 

• Like 1

The dump here watches you and also has CCTV cameras. They won’t let you pick stuff and take it back out of the dump.

You are lucky if you can pick stuff to haul back out for your self. 

• Like 1

One of the biggest things about leaving my main career employer was the treasure trove of items gathered from dumpster diving 😪

I had taken a few trips down to Spokane area to help a member here work on his dozer and during these trips the hospitality displayed and cuisine was remarkable, the feature each time was a fantastic prime rib roast prepared on a Showtime rotisserie cooker in afternoons while we were still working or enjoying a cold one. I seriously was considering buying one of these when i went to the dump and one was sitting new in box with paperwork, might have been used once tough to say. My daughter was with me that trip and i think she was surprised by how excited i got 😁 its produced some fine meals itself and is still working perfectly. 

• Like 3

My wife would probably say most of my stuff should go to the dump for somebody else to find....🤔🤷‍♂️

I dont think your suppose to take stuff back out at our dump either.  Not sure if it happens or not. Really don't know why anybody would care. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I just cant let this stuff go! But sadly i have begun to reason with myself...if it sits over a winter and doesnt get used the next summer it goes back. 

There isnt usually a dump employee at this site and even when they are there they dont say anything. I think the only thing that will getcha in trouble is dumping a whole car, leaving trash outside the dumpsters or vandalism.

19 hours ago, Twolines said:

Anyone else a junk picker? Lol

I don't pick junk, I pick treasures. I will not allow myself to go into an automotive junk yard because I'll leave with enough 80-96 ford truck parts to probably build a few complete vehicles. 

• Haha 4

I used to check the local Deere dealer metal bin since they were always throwing out long chains. One day I was checking and found a complete  rear splitting stand. Needless to say once I got over the schock and excitement I got down to work really quick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guilty as charged! Just picked up another gas can off the side of the road Saturday. Think that's four from that house this year. Iowaboy knows him, Rod S. later the same day a buddy calls me, you interested in an air compressor with a bad motor? Well yeah, he brought it over, think I have a motor that will fix it right up. 60 gallon upright IR.

There is a downside to this, projects back up and I never seem to get the fix-it list done.

• Like 4

My home town in Massachusetts has an area set aside at the transfer station that they call the “Put-n-Take”. Basically a free yard sale. Mom and Dad brought things home constantly. 

Sometimes something promising would make it into the scrap metal trailer and Dad would have to fish it out with his tow strap. Many a discarded lawnmower went home, got tuned up and sold within a week in front of the house. Great memories!

• Like 3

My uncle had a contract with the city of Paso Robles Calif for close to 20 years to run the dump.  He found about one of everything over the years. Had Massey Harris Pony tractor dropped off. Just like the law mowers, somebody had running without much work. 

• Like 3

No dumpster boxes around here anymore but when there were, I found some good stuff. There was a wooden chair once that was made entirely out of 2x4's. I'm not sure if it was commercially built or home made, but the design was as ingenious as any I've ever seen. Our current landfill transfer station has a reuse store. You pay by weight to drop stuff off, and some other person pays by the item to take it back out. Now, that's a good racket!

• Like 2