Fire Wood

jeeper61

5 hours ago, augercreek said:

We have a Garn gasser that replaced a Heatmor 100 11 years ago. It has used on average 1/3 less wood a season. Fire it just once a day depending on weather. Here are a couple of pics of wood.

DSCF4092.JPG

DSCF4093.JPG

DSCF4095.JPG

DSCF4097.JPG

Um im gonna need to see more pictures of that chalmers please!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Chalmers has a new hood on it now as I had a tree fall on it and bent it up beyond fixing. So, the whole machine got a new paint job and a new name! FARMALLIS !  I built it using two F12 rearends and a WC Allis engine transmission. All hydraulic steering, winch, and blade. 

skidder 002.JPG

skidder 004.JPG

skidder 004.JPG

skidder 001.JPG

skidder 002.JPG

skidder 003.JPG

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

According to your sign it has to stay in the shed!  Rear and front PTO's!

That is really nice, can you build me one?! That is just plain old American ingenuity right there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, TomH said:

According to your sign it has to stay in the shed!  Rear and front PTO's!

That is really nice, can you build me one?! That is just plain old American ingenuity right there.

It’s partially red, the rear ends anyway

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/7/2022 at 5:16 AM, augercreek said:

The Chalmers has a new hood on it now as I had a tree fall on it and bent it up beyond fixing. So, the whole machine got a new paint job and a new name! FARMALLIS !  I built it using two F12 rearends and a WC Allis engine transmission. All hydraulic steering, winch, and blade. 

Nice machine, looks well done. I like the way you are storing your wood too. Do you have a Machinist back ground or self taught? I have a 47 WC that I ran a rock crusher with for a few years back when, now it's my chipper machine.  They are good engines.

• Like 3

On 10/7/2022 at 6:16 AM, augercreek said:

skidder 002.JPG

skidder 004.JPG

skidder 004.JPG

skidder 001.JPG

skidder 002.JPG

skidder 003.JPG

A lot of good engineering in that creation  

How is the power getting to the axle level?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, just Dave said:

Nice machine, looks well done. I like the way you are storing your wood too. Do you have a Machinist back ground or self taught? I have a 47 WC that I ran a rock crusher with for a few years back when, now it's my chipper machine.  They are good engines.

YES, I'VE BEEN A MACHINIST 65 YEARS. THANKS FOR THE COMMENT.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jeeper61 said:

A lot of good engineering in that creation  

How is the power getting to the axle level?

THE TRANSMISSION TAIL SHAFT HAS A 100 ROLLER CHAIN ON IT AND DROPS DOWN TO CATCH THE INPUT SHAFTS ON THE F12 REARS.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 11:57 AM, jeeper61 said:

With the price of energy this winter I am sure everyone has been harvesting fire wood to burn for heat.

Show us your set ups for cutting splitting and burning.

I have a friend in the tree business I buy fire wood from him because I like to support my friends and family 

I do harvest the dead falls on my property here is a pic of some I brought from the back of my pasture this spring 

Spilt by hand I really need to get a 3pt splitter I am getting to old to swing the maul all day  

IMG_1080.JPG

As you tumble head first into that cab and struggle to untangle your legs do you question how it ever got past approval? 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

As you tumble head first into that cab and struggle to untangle your legs do you question how it ever got past approval? 

Fine machine it's on it's 3rd life 

When my buddy retires I might buy his New Holland 655E

It doesn't have any Case in it either 

And my PTO tractor is an other Ford  

1 hour ago, jeeper61 said:

Fine machine it's on it's 3rd life 

When my buddy retires I might buy his New Holland 655E

It doesn't have any Case in it either 

And my PTO tractor is an other Ford  

Ive spent many hours in a 655A. Entry into those cabs suck. Nice machine once you are in

Here is my current set up. Not exactly fuel efficient, but maybe it will help all of us cut down on heating days🙃

I cut the blocks off while the log is on the loader, lift the ones I can onto the splitter and use the tongs on the other tractor to lift the bigger blocks.  The floor on the silage wagon still works, so I unload with that. "The conveyor I found many years ago when I went to buy something else. It had sat in the same place at least 50 years according to the guy that grew up there. I had to cut 3 trees out of it to move it. Amazingly, the only rust was under the front where it was on the ground and a half dozen chain links. I took off the cable and crank and put a hydraulic hand pump on it. The briggs engine came off an old tiller that my neighbor was throwing away. Pretty much everything I have is something someone else gave up on for junk. But you guys have probably figured that out by now.

HPIM4500.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The big chunks give an amazing amount of splits from 1 piece. Loaded with a crane, set on deck with a grapple bucket, rolled in with a custom made real big cant hook and yields the better part of a rick. Plastic bins hold the splits going in the house.

1295393192_bigsplityield.thumb.jpg.0decac4ceb9e75d7bd979747e78ae4db.jpg

1 big split.jpg

split fall.jpg

• Like 2